Face ID on Apple's iPhone X will be limited to one person per device

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    Just have FaceID disabled like Samsung owners that never ever use the iris scanner.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 62 of 68
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    tjwolf said:
    fallenjt said:
    gatorguy said:
    Well that's absolutely counter to what Gurman said, tho based on what you've discovered and considering that it is from Apple themselves he was plainly mistaken. With that said I'm really extremely surprised it is locked to one specific face.  
    What is the point of having multiple Face ID for ONE personal phone? Multiple fingerprints for Touch ID is understandable because people have 10 fingers, but only ONE face.
    If one concerns about loved ones being unable to access the phone, give them the pass code instead.

Apple has encouraged us to come up with long/complex/hard-to-remember passwords because we have Touch ID so we don't have to enter them often.  Why would/should I have to tell my wife my long/complex/hard-to-type password just so she can use my phone and start navigation while I'm driving.  When you're married and/or have children, there are infinite reasons why you'd want to cross-register your family's fingerprint on devices.  It's frankly ridiculous that Apple would limit convenient access to their flagship phone to a single user.
    why can't your wife use HER phone to make the phone call?
    I'm assuming you're not married. Because if you were, you'd realize how unrealistic it would be to deny your spouse to use your phone when she requests it, telling her to use hers, when it happens to be on the other side of the room and yours is on the couch right next to her. Ideally she would, but realistically she will ask to use yours at times (or often) and it's not worth creating friction or fucking up the relationship by refusing. 

As for FaceID being limited to one person, I couldn't care less. If it makes it slightly less convenient for another person to use, that's fine. 
    I'm sorry but my wife never asks to use my phone to make a call, and neither do I.

Neither my wife or I are so lazy that we can't walk 5 feet to pick up our phone

You've never been out with your wife and had her say either "my phone is dead" or "I left my phone in my purse in the car, give me yours"?
  • Reply 63 of 68
    gatorguy said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    wood1208 said:
    Can't you share passcode(like adding extra fingerID) with family members if you want to share iPhone X ?
    Yup
    Apple of course says:
    • Don’t share your Apple ID with other people, even family members. ;)

Apple ID does not equal passcode.
  • Reply 64 of 68
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    slurpy said:
    I wish Apple would just add a "guest mode" to the phone, and you can select which apps are accessible in this mode. So if someone needs to check your phone to look something up, or look at recent photos etc, you can offer it with peace of mind. I often have friends/family that ask to look something up with my phone - I don't refuse cause then I seem like an asshole, but I'm on edge as I can't see what the hell they're going on it. 
    Do you have Guest mode for you wallet? I consider my phone is my personal wallet holding my own sensitive information: Smarthome device controls, camera surveillance, passwords, account credentials, credit card/bank profiles, documents, pr0n pix...whatever and I don't want anyone beside my wife to access it, not even my kid and not even it has Guest Mode. I guess you should let your friends know that smartphone nowadays is no longer a internet connected device but an electronic personal database.
  • Reply 65 of 68
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    lkrupp said:
    And the kicker here is that when Samsung introduced Retina Scan, which can easily be defeated apparently, nobody said a word. There was no controversy, there were no letters from Al Franken. But Apple does it and it's 'proven controversial' for many reasons. All manner of horrible scenarios are proposed. I just don't get it.
    Because iPhone users are more important? 
  • Reply 66 of 68
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    78Bandit said:
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    tjwolf said:
    fallenjt said:
    gatorguy said:
    Well that's absolutely counter to what Gurman said, tho based on what you've discovered and considering that it is from Apple themselves he was plainly mistaken. With that said I'm really extremely surprised it is locked to one specific face.  
    What is the point of having multiple Face ID for ONE personal phone? Multiple fingerprints for Touch ID is understandable because people have 10 fingers, but only ONE face.
    If one concerns about loved ones being unable to access the phone, give them the pass code instead.

Apple has encouraged us to come up with long/complex/hard-to-remember passwords because we have Touch ID so we don't have to enter them often.  Why would/should I have to tell my wife my long/complex/hard-to-type password just so she can use my phone and start navigation while I'm driving.  When you're married and/or have children, there are infinite reasons why you'd want to cross-register your family's fingerprint on devices.  It's frankly ridiculous that Apple would limit convenient access to their flagship phone to a single user.
    why can't your wife use HER phone to make the phone call?
    I'm assuming you're not married. Because if you were, you'd realize how unrealistic it would be to deny your spouse to use your phone when she requests it, telling her to use hers, when it happens to be on the other side of the room and yours is on the couch right next to her. Ideally she would, but realistically she will ask to use yours at times (or often) and it's not worth creating friction or fucking up the relationship by refusing. 

As for FaceID being limited to one person, I couldn't care less. If it makes it slightly less convenient for another person to use, that's fine. 
    I'm sorry but my wife never asks to use my phone to make a call, and neither do I.

Neither my wife or I are so lazy that we can't walk 5 feet to pick up our phone

You've never been out with your wife and had her say either "my phone is dead" or "I left my phone in my purse in the car, give me yours"?
    Happens with me all the time. The reality is, this isn't an issue at all. There's no immediate need for someone to have the FaceID/TouchID access to your phone, because they can always unlock it with the passcode, which is exactly how we did it before TouchID came along. Now, this means my dog can no longer unlock my phone, but I'll get over it. Ha!
  • Reply 67 of 68
    Two faced people will not be able to use the X