These stickers cover up the Digital Crown red dot on your Apple Watch Series 3 with cellul...

Posted:
in Apple Watch
The Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular features a unique aesthetic decision, placing a large and noticeable red dot on the Digital Crown, that may not be appealing to all buyers. Thankfully, there are a few decent options for covering it up with a decal.

The red dot on the Apple Watch Series 3 comes on all models with LTE connectivity. That means the more expensive stainless steel and ceramic versions, which cannot be purchased without a cellular radio, come with a red digital crown no matter what.

While some like the unique look of the cellular models, allowing them to stand out from other Apple Watch versions, the red dot decision is not without its critics. For those prospective buyers, AppleInsider is here to help.

The simplest option comes from WatchDots, a company that sells stickers that cover only the Digital Crown and side button. Though they were not created for the Series 3, the design of the Apple Watch has not changed since it first launched in 2015, meaning the decals should fit just fine.

WatchDots come in a variety of colors intended to match various shades of watch bands sold by Apple. None of the colors appear to exactly match the watch casings (there is a black option, but not space gray, for example), but users may find the options preferable to the red dot on the Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular.

Of course, the decals also work in reverse: If you have an older watch, or plan to get a Series 3 without cellular, WatchDots has a red option to mimic the cellular models.

WatchDots come in a set of 3 stickers in the same color for $9.99 each. If you just want to cover the Digital Crown dot, leave the side button sticker unused.

There are a few other options available, such as from SlickWraps, which sells a whole series of stickers that cover not only the Digital Crown and side bar, but also the entire chassis of the Apple Watch. While you may not need that much coverage if you just want to obscure the Digital Crown's red dot, SlickWraps are more affordable at $8.95 per set.

New stickers specifically designed for the Apple Watch Series 3 are currently available to preorder, but SlickWraps has not yet provided a shipping date, as the third-generation watch is slightly thicker than its predecessors. Presumably, stickers for Series 2, 1 and first-generation watches would also fit, if users plan to only use the Digital Crown portion of the decal set.

SlickWraps products come in a number of series, with various textures, each of them in a range of unique colors.

Preorders for the Apple Watch Series 3, both with and without cellular, began early Friday morning, and launch day inventory sold out almost immediately. The first units should may their way to consumers next Friday, Sept. 22.
artdent

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    I noticed the red digital crown during the event, but it was so hideous my brain immediately discarded it as some type of protective covering that someone failed to remove. I had no idea this was a "feature".
    edited September 2017 king editor the gratedoozydozenuktechiejony0
  • Reply 2 of 48
    $9.99 for some tiny stickers?  HELL NO.
    edited September 2017 SoundJudgmentwillcropoint
  • Reply 3 of 48
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    So the color of the Digital Crown is a problem but the notch in the X display is "no big deal, you'll get used to it."

I bought a Series 3 Watch. If that becomes an issue I'll get some nail polish or model car paint for it, whichever is harder and more resistance to chipping.
    doozydozencali
  • Reply 4 of 48
    What? That seems asinine to me, but I get that people want to customize everything.
    doozydozenpscooter63
  • Reply 5 of 48
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    I am getting a red decal so I can make my watch look more expensive despite lacking cellular. It's about presentation.
    anantksundarampeterhartdoozydozenMacPromac_128lolliverjony0
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Soli said:
    So the color of the Digital Crown is a problem but the notch in the X display is "no big deal, you'll get used to it."

I bought a Series 3 Watch. If that becomes an issue I'll get some nail polish or model car paint for it, whichever is harder and more resistance to chipping.
    Out of curiosity, why would it become an issue? It seems like a complete non-issue to me.
    edited September 2017 lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 48
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    igorsky said:
    Soli said:

Out of curiosity, why would it become an issue? It seems like a complete non-issue to me.
    I can't imagine how it would be, but I also can't rule it out.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Very hideous, so I ordered the "no cellular" option, saves me some money AND the red dot.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 48
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    I have a Series 2 stainless steel AW so I've decided not to upgrade (since I don't need cellular). 
    But if I did buy a stainless steel Series 3 AW, I would definitely cover up the red dot with a decal (even with the $10 price).
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Are there any fake Rolex badges I can put on my AppleWatch, so I can also become a pretender to fool the babes into thinking I'm loaded? /s Sorry, but hearing about some people throwing a tantrum over a relatively insignificant red dot is downright disheartening considering how many people lost everything due to Hurricane Irma.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    I think Jony Ive just hasn't let go of his Leica obsession:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/10/08/apple-designer-jony-ives-custom-charity-leica-rangefinder-revealed

(Leica cameras are known for their prominent red dot.)
    doozydozenSpamSandwichnetroxrandominternetperson
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think the red dot looks bad at all, especially on the space gray case. 
    anantksundarampeterhartdoozydozenpscooter63lolliverleighc-sfo
  • Reply 13 of 48
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    So, is the ugly red dot there for any technical reason, such as a different material for signal or something?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 48
    netrox said:
    I am getting a red decal so I can make my watch look more expensive despite lacking cellular. It's about presentation.
    I wonder if someone will come up with a "display notch" decal, so we can also make our old iPhones look like the X.
    StrangeDaysdoozydozennetroxcgWerks
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think the red dot looks bad at all, especially on the space gray case. 
    I agree. The red dot will look fabulous on my black stainless steel. I wish, however, that Apple had also made the side button red. May have to check our Watchdot for the latter...
    edited September 2017 lolliver
  • Reply 16 of 48
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    If you receive a phone call, will both AW and iPhone ring? If so, that means the telecomm company sent out one signal.  Why does ATT wants to charge ten dollars a month?  I think the only thing is ATT will register both device on its master list. Or ATT does not care what device it is. Because when I switch a phone by just inserting the sim card to the new phone, it works I'mmediately.
    ktappe
  • Reply 17 of 48
    Let me introduce everyone to the Permanent-Ink Black Sharpie.

... You're Welcome!
    SoliStrangeDaysdoozydozenberndogcgWerksuktechie
  • Reply 18 of 48
    $9.99 per month
    StrangeDaysdoozydozen
  • Reply 19 of 48
    It’s ugly because it’s a random color that doesn’t match the rest of the device. It’s an unnecessary, arbitrary decision not linked to engineering or any other consideration other than someone’s like of the color. I don’t want to replace mine with a red-dotted version. 
    edited September 2017 rwescgWerksuktechie
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Really? It has come down to this? They are even taking pre-order for the stickers - Wow! And we are not concerned about climate change!