AppleInsider readers are split on the iPhone X notch, but most support Apple's decision to...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    Much ado about nothing.
    StrangeDayspolymnia
  • Reply 22 of 66
    As long as we have the option to choose one way or the other, people will adapt. I bet OCD folks have a hard time though... (carrots to the left potatoes to the right and they can't touch)  :p
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 66
    "AppleInsider readers are split on the iPhone X notch, but most support Apple's decision to embrace it"

Of course... anything and everything to justify $1k for mostly 5yo tech.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ireland said:
    iPhone ex is the best Apple can do right now. It’s their state of the art. And no, I won’t pronounce it “iPhone ten”, and not because Gruber said so. But because getting me or the general populace to pronounce the X as “ten” will never happen. “MacBook One”, “iPhone ex”. I know what Roman numerals are. We see them all the time on film credits. No one cares. It’s an iPhone with a notch, not Lawrence of Arabia. Ain’t happening. Deal with it, Schiller.
    In the 60's when everyone was giving me the 'peace' sign, I thought it was a 'high five'.
    I’m not sure.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    krakajap said:
    "AppleInsider readers are split on the iPhone X notch, but most support Apple's decision to embrace it"

Go back to MacRumors. Or learn to Hate Different.
    suddenly newtonStrangeDayspscooter63Metriacanthosauruswatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 66
    I like it! Instantly recognisable as an iPhone X and also difficult and expensive to clone.
    suddenly newtonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 66

Fake news. illegal vote counting! Its rigged!  Whats wrong with a poll on this website?

Lets be clear, the 'notch' is fine, its weather the adjacent horizontal area should be colored the same for aesthetics?

I vote the same color and no app should intrude. yea yea not quite edge to edge... big whoop. (My understanding is Apple app design criteria expressly forbid that??? true??)

• Reply 28 of 66
    Since it's the decision Apple made, it must be the right one. If you held the poll the day before the keynote, the results would have vastly favored hiding the notch. It's truly awful.
    “truly awful” oh lawd...you live a sheltered life. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 66
    krakajap said:

Nice one, troll. Show me a five yo phone with the camera and sensors, system on a chip, depth sensors, screen, etc of the X. i’ll wait. 
    edited September 2017 pscooter63Metriacanthosauruswatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 66
    I'm totally fine with the notch--it appears that there are methods or scenarios that hide it if desired.

What caught my eye is that being able to fill all four of the corners with display emphasizes those rounded corners. If the blackout area at the top extended edge-to-edge, we couldn't have all four corners filled. It's as if the designers are giving a nod (perhaps sub-consciously or subliminally) to the whole "rectangle with rounded corners" controversy shortly after the first iPhone debuted. (Is there any other phone that fills all four corners with display like this?)
    edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 66
    Since it's the decision Apple made, it must be the right one. If you held the poll the day before the keynote, the results would have vastly favored hiding the notch. It's truly awful.
    It wouldn't have been ridiculed had another manufacturer done it? 
    muthuk_vanalingamgatorguy
  • Reply 32 of 66
    Allow me to fit/scale video, photos, and games and web browsing in landscape mode to the space outside of the notch without cutting out any of the content. Turn the ears full black in this mode... not white . ...or at least allow these to be set according to users preferance in the settings.
    That is already the default behavior, the same as on current iPhones for media that has a different aspect ratio.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    Essential Phone shipped with the cyclops eye but reviews all said you get used to it. ‘At first we thought it was odd but in use you get used to it’, was the common refrain. While it’ll never convince you otherwise, for me it’s good evidence your theory is wrong. Not to mention S8 ships with chin and forehead bezels and the media reported it as a bezeless phone. It’s not, but by your theory if Apple were treated like this it’d show bias.

If the notch did nothing it wouldn’t be warranted, but it has some clever tech in there and thusly Apple is cleverly embracing it in design and marketing. There’ll come a day, some day in the future when phone makers will be looking to move past these notches and chins and foreheads and cyclops eyes, but that’s a few years down the line yet. We’ve several hurdles to overcome to get there. For now the notches are here to stay and for good reasons.

No doubt Apple may experiment with the notch and those ‘ears’ in software in iOS 12, 13, 14. We shall have to wait and see which way they go in the future regarding how they accentuate, blend or disguise this design. Early days. For now it’s a differentiator. Eventually it won’t be.
    edited September 2017 StrangeDaysradarthekatpscooter63argonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 66
    I can only hope the notch won't be a major dealbreaker for those consumers leaning towards buying the iPhone X. I'd hate for the notch to hurt iPhone X sales. Apple should simply stress they didn't have much of a choice. I believe the ears are useful for displaying information and I'm certain the IF array has to be where it is. In this case, Apple chose function over form and I believe it was a wise decision. The notch honestly doesn't bother me at all as I accept it's there for a purpose. Weighed against the TouchID chin bezel, surely the notch is allowing greater display area packed with greater functionality. Still, no one is being forced to buy the iPhone X as the other models are available. To me, all the iPhones are just fine with the iPhone X being able to do more. If the iPhone X does record sales then I guess the notch will be a moot point. The notch is distinctive and as was mentioned, no Android smartphone display will have it.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 66
    Impossible to say as you’re arguing a counterfactual, which is impossible to discuss logically since it’s fiction. Here IRL it’s Apple that made it. I may as well argue that people would love an Apple-made machine gun — prove me wrong! You can’t because I just made it up. Etc. Fallacy. Look it up. 

Related tho, Essential phone has a small notch and nobody panicked. 

watto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 36 of 66

I can only hope the notch won't be a major dealbreaker for those consumers leaning towards buying the iPhone X. I'd hate for the notch to hurt iPhone X sales. Apple should simply stress they didn't have much of a choice.
    They absolutely won’t have to, it’s going to sell out almost immediately. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 66
    krakajap said:

Quite predictably, you provide no links or data to "justify" your assertion. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 66
    I don't hate it, but I would prefer a user-selectable option to fill in the adjacent area with "black," so content wouldn't spillover into that section of the display. I think Apple tried to make the best of the situation.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    If they get rid of the notch then what selling point will Apple have for the next notch-less iPhone?
  • Reply 40 of 66
    Black or white, as long as the adjacent areas are filled with content, the notch does not reveal itself in portrait orientation, the adjacent areas ("ears") are visually aligned with the notch. It is only in landscape orientation and in fill screen mode of movies and photos that it reveals itself most noticeably. It doesn't have a permanent disturbing effect on the user interface. Perfectionism may dictate that a totally notch-less design is the goal, but until enough miniaturization is achieved, we can live with that notch style.