Apple's new App Store rules say devs must provide alternative to Face ID for kids under 13...

Posted:
in iPhone
Updated App Store Review Guidelines published this week include a variety of changes, most notably dictating that apps wanting to make use of Face ID on the iPhone X must offer an "alternate authentication method" for children under 13.

Given the lack of Touch ID on the phone, and the demands of Apple's LocalAuthentication framework, that would translate into a passcode or passphrase. It's uncertain why Apple is making the stipulation, since Face ID content isn't uploaded to the cloud and should be safely secured on-device as well.

The company is likely trying to allay any fears from parents, as well as deal with a fundamental limitation of Face ID. The technology will support only one person per device, which would mean parents sharing an iPhone X would always have to unlock apps themselves if they relied too heavily on facial recognition.

Other tweaks to the Guidelines include provisions against antivirus apps -- which simply don't work on iOS -- as well as a ban on simple ARKit apps like technology demos. ARKit apps must include "rich and integrated augmented reality experiences," Apple says.

The company has meanwhile softened its tipping policy, allowing person-to-person financial gifts that bypass the App Store's in-app purchase system. Apple normally claims a 30 percent cut from in-app transactions, and indeed the new rules say that app creators can't claim any money from gifts either. The changes are presumably a reaction to the popularity of tipping in Chinese apps, which resulted in a brief crackdown earlier this year, followed by a half-step measure in which tips were possible as in-app purchases.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Maybe kids under 13 do not have distinct enough facial features to maintain the 1,000,000 to 1 odds that Apple mentioned in the keynote. 
    Mintzlolliver
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Maybe kids under 13 do not have distinct enough facial features to maintain the 1,000,000 to 1 odds that Apple mentioned in the keynote. 
    I'm sure its also a violation of federal laws...something like COPPA.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 3 of 8
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    ...because I'm going to buy my 12 year old a $1000 iPhone X???
  • Reply 4 of 8
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    MplsP said:
    I recall some dude bought 4 gold Apple Watches for his dog. In short, yes. Besides, these new state-of-art iPhone X will eventually work their way down the food chain and become the hand-me-down phone a parent doesn’t want anymore. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 5 of 8
    No...
    Rather, FaceID only supports one face per phone.   How are kids going to buy their games to run on Dad's phone without an alternative?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    MplsP said:
    You won't, but you'd be surprised how many parents will.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    This isn't describing Face ID for unlocking the phone, it's 3rd party apps that use the API for authentication. While it's possible they don't allow Face ID at all for under 13s, I don't see a reason to do that. It's likely to do with COPPA given the 13 year age limit:

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=4939e77c77a1a1a08c1cbf905fc4b409&node=16:1.0.1.3.36#se16.1.312_16

Since Face ID only stores one ID, parents wouldn't be able to access a service if it exclusively used Face ID.

I suspected they might block using ARKit for ID too, apps could have rolled their own authentication by storing a mesh and comparing e.g for multiplayer games to auto setup users like Scrabble where you can pass the device and it would hide the other player's tiles based on the face detected.

I think it would be wise for Apple to clarify they aren't blocking Face ID for unlocking from under 13s because the media seems to be running with this, which might put parents off buying them for their kids. A $1000 phone is expensive for a kid but so is a laptop/iPad Pro/Xbox One X, any number of products. When it's a monthly fee, it's not a big deal:

https://www.att.com/shop/iphone.html

It also won't always be $1000 and the tech could easily replace touch id in all their devices eventually. They must be making a similarly designed iPad to the iPhone X.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 8 of 8
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Interesting... but who is going to buy a 1000+ dollar phone for their kid to lose?...