For eMac owners: Likes and Dislikes

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is any one else confused about why they put the power button on the BACK right side of this big honkin' desktop?

I was so used to the power button on the keyboard and next to the disk drive. What's up?

Other than that, no complaints. I guess the fact that I upgraded my mac and got out of classic, was enough to make me happy & complaint free for a while.

The flat 17" screen kicks butt. Is there anything that you like or dislike about it in comparison to the other macs?

Jessica

[ 03-14-2003: Message edited by: chic4mac ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    current macs are not meant to be shut down in daily use.

put them to sleep... they wake up in 1 second and while in sleep uses virtually the same amount of power as being shut down.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    yeah, about the 17 inch screen kicking butt... I assumed that it would be the same as my apple 17 inch studio display (CRT), but it isn't as crisp. in fact, i really don't like this screen at all.. It just seems prone to wierdness a bit more than mine... Other than that, the price/performance ratio is great for apple. yeah. the power button is in a dumb place, i agree.

all in all, a good entry level mac.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Thanks applenut. I wondered about that. The sleep wake up is SO fast, blows the doors of the imac wake-up. I wondered if I should just sleep it at night as opposed to shutting it down each day like I did with the imac.

So you recommend leaving it on sleep, unless you are going out of town for a few days?

and gsf, so you think the emac is not as good display-wise as your other display. Hmm. I don't have much to compare it to.

Jessica

[ 03-14-2003: Message edited by: chic4mac ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 13
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    yeah, my situation is this: at school, I have a g4 867 SP with the apple 17 inch flat screen CRT. Huge monitor, but no complaints about the picture, here at home (i'm at home every few weeks) we have an eMac, and an iMac DV SE...

So, i like the emac, but yeah, the screen just isn't as nice as mine. I think we even have the same graphics cards, so i don't fully understand it. GeForce 2 MX? right? yeah.

Also, the dimensions are a bit different, 1280x960 on eMac, 1280x1024 at school on my PM.

all i was really saying i guess is that i prefer my studio display to this display... no real problem.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I have a 15" iMac and 800 ibook. The iMac is over a year old and I got the 800 ibook when it was first available. Neither of these machines have ever been shutdown (only restarts due to SU). I always leave them in sleep mode when not in use. Thats what they are made to do. OS X does a great job of handling this and wake ups are a snap.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by chic4mac:

<strong>Thanks applenut. I wondered about that. The sleep wake up is SO fast, blows the doors of the imac wake-up. I wondered if I should just sleep it at night as opposed to shutting it down each day like I did with the imac.

So you recommend leaving it on sleep, unless you are going out of town for a few days?

and gsf, so you think the emac is not as good display-wise as your other display. Hmm. I don't have much to compare it to.

Jessica

[ 03-14-2003: Message edited by: chic4mac ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

definitely... i forget the exact numbers but its something insane like 5 vs 8 watts for power off vs deep sleep.

and u also dont churn through your hard drive as much when waking up as you do starting up
  • Reply 7 of 13
    thanks again. I will be putting her to sleep nightly. no more shut downs
  • Reply 8 of 13
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    I have had my cube for 2 1/2 years now, and I don't think it has gone for more than one week without being on. It has either always been asleep, or on, and it *still* hasn't broken.

I heard somewhere that starting your computer up is somewhat analogous to driving your car into a brick wall: pumping electricity through when the machine has been off does the electronics a lot of damage. Is this true?

/thread hijack

low-fi

[ 03-14-2003: Message edited by: low-fi ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 13
    agent69agent69 Posts: 88member
    I think that Apple put the power button where they did because the eMac was intended for education and having the power button on the front could be a problem with younger children accidently hitting it.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    opticoptic Posts: 2member
    I got my step-father an eMAC and it feels slugish. I have never used a model with an nVidia brand chip maybe I am just used to ATI.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    agent69agent69 Posts: 88member
    [quote]Originally posted by Optic:

<strong>I got my step-father an eMAC and it feels slugish. I have never used a model with an nVidia brand chip maybe I am just used to ATI.</strong><hr></blockquote>

How much RAM is in it? I know that the 700Mhz unit comes with 128MB, which is way too low. You can max it out to a GB for around $160.00.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    One thing I like about the eMac's display is that it uses a real 4:3 ratio for the screen resolution. 1280x1024 is more like 5:4. However, a standard 17" monitor and the eMac's monitor both have 4:3 physical sizes, the standard monitor would experience vertical squishing from trying to cram a nearly square object into a horizontally oriented rectangle. It's not very apparent but it'll make round icons look like ovals. What does somewhat bug me is that the refresh rate is fairly low - just 72 Hz. Most 17" monitors can do the slightly higher 1280x1024 resolution at 75 Hz or more, so the fact that 72 Hz is the highest refresh rate at 1280x960 might say something about the quality of the monitor.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by gsfmark:

<strong>yeah, about the 17 inch screen kicking butt... I assumed that it would be the same as my apple 17 inch studio display (CRT), but it isn't as crisp. in fact, i really don't like this screen at all.. It just seems prone to wierdness a bit more than mine... Other than that, the price/performance ratio is great for apple. yeah. the power button is in a dumb place, i agree.

all in all, a good entry level mac.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have to agree, compared to the imac the emacs screen is no contest