Sprint offers free 64GB iPhone 8 after trade-in to lure subscribers

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2017
Sprint on Monday launched a promotion offering a free 64-gigabyte iPhone 8 in exchange for trading in an iPhone 7, Samsung Galaxy S8, or Galaxy Note 8.

The deal applies to both new and existing customers activating a new line, including people who have already preordered an iPhone 8, Sprint said. Technically customers are agreeing to an 18-month lease which would normally cost $29.17 per month, and they should receive credit within their first two bills.

People trading in select older devices -- such as an iPhone 6 or 6s -- can still get 50 percent off their monthly lease payments. In any case, a $30 activation fee is waived for online orders.

Sprint is facing a tough competition for iPhone 8 buyers. On top of many shoppers choosing to buy directly from Apple, or third-party retailers, rival carriers are running their own promotions. T-Mobile for example is offering $300 off the cost of an iPhone 8 with a trade-in, albeit over the course of 24 months.

Sprint's main advantage may be its unlimited plan, which costs $50 per month for one line and $40 for two, with up to three further lines at no cost with AutoPay and paperless billing turned on. The company does however limit video to 1080p, and cap bandwidth on music and games to 1.5 and 8 megabits per second, respectively.

The iPhone 8 ships on Sept. 22. Some upgrades include an A11 processor, wireless charging, a True Tone display, and improved camera hardware tuned for augmented reality.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    sog35 said:
    And so it begins.......

Once one of the carriers do a deal the others will follow
    We'll see...Sprint is very desperate to get customers and lock them in so they can't go elsewhere. They practically PAY you to go with them and take every opportunity possible to accomplish this. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 2 of 13
    how is this a good deal? "Technically customers are agreeing to an 18-month lease which would normally cost $29.17 per month, and they should receive credit within their first two bills."

I buy a year old car out right (full price) for $650.  I trade it in for a new car which is costs roughly $50 more.  But instead of buying it and getting money for my trade it, give away my old car that I paid money for and instead I lease for 18 month for $0/mo. I don't own this car that I am leasing,  I'm just leasing it for free.  After the lease is done, I don't have the the $650 that I paid for my old car, because I simply gave it away,  nor do I have the new car because I never owned it. I was just leasing it.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Unfortunately, its not a free iphone. There is fineprint and a lot of it. The deal is 0 down 0/mo for 18 months and pay remaining balance at the end of 18 months. There is going to be approx $175 balance on the iPhone 8 if you trade in an iPhone 7. Here's the breakdown: 

iPhone 8 Cost = $699
    Monthly Credit for iphone 7 = $29.17
    Total Credit = $29.17 x 18mo = $525
    Remaining amount  = $699 - $528 = $171

As you can see, the monthly credit for your trade-in does not cover the full price of the iPhone 8. There is a $171 deficit which is due at the end of the contract. So, instead of putting down the $171 up front, they bill you at the end. However, they advertise as if the iPhone is free. This is very devious advertising meant to lure unsuspecting customer into long 18 month contracts. Don't get me wrong - this may still be a good deal - but the advertising could have been much more clearer. 
    LukeCage
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Unfortunately, its not a free iphone. There is fineprint and a lot of it. The deal is 0 down 0/mo for 18 months and pay remaining balance at the end of 18 months. There is going to be approx $175 balance on the iPhone 8 if you trade in an iPhone 7. Here's the breakdown: 

iPhone 8 Cost = $699

As you can see, the monthly credit for your trade-in does not cover the full price of the iPhone 8. There is a $171 deficit which is due at the end of the contract. So, instead of putting down the $171 up front, they bill you at the end. However, they advertise as if the iPhone is free. This is very devious advertising meant to lure unsuspecting customer into long 18 month contracts. Don't get me wrong - this may still be a good deal - but the advertising could have been much more clearer. 
    So basically, If you think you can get about $525 for your old device, you are better of selling it and getting an iPhone 8 yourself and going with whatever carrier you want.  
  • Reply 5 of 13
    jeff_cook said:

iPhone 8 Cost = $699

So basically, If you think you can get about $525 for your old device, you are better of selling it and getting an iPhone 8 yourself and going with whatever carrier you want.  
    Correct. I am not saying its a bad deal. Its just a case of customer being more aware of what you are really getting into. For a base iphone 7, there is no way you will get $525 even on ebay. But a 256GB iphone 7 plus might get you $650+ on ebay. 

Also, if you have an iphone 6, you get 14.85/mo  ($265 / 18mo). It still may be a better deal than selling your phone elsewhere. 

Given this is sprint, I still am on the fence with this one. I use Cricket's $35 plan (4GB LTE) which runs on AT&T network. Switching to Sprint substantially increases my monthly spend on service and gives me a poorer network in my opinion. And for me, the extra amount i'd spend on monthly service offsets the discount sprint is offering. Again, this is purely my situation - for someone else,this may still be a great offer. 
  • Reply 6 of 13
    The worst part of this deal is...you're on Sprint! Okay, the other bad part is they lock you into 18 months from the sounds. 
    anton zuykov
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Does Apple have to approve this? Do they really want the words iPhone 8 and free next to each other right after it’s released? 
  • Reply 8 of 13

iPhone 8 Cost = $699

Not quite. These carrier installment plans are for 24 months -- that's how the monthly payment is figured out. Note that Sprint allows you to quit the plan after 18 months, i.e., 6 remain to be paid for. Redo the math (allowing or cost of financing), and it's a fair deal.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    jeff_cook said:

iPhone 8 Cost = $699

Correct. I am not saying its a bad deal. Its just a case of customer being more aware of what you are really getting into. For a base iphone 7, there is no way you will get $525 even on ebay. But a 256GB iphone 7 plus might get you $650+ on ebay. 

Also, if you have an iphone 6, you get 14.85/mo  ($265 / 18mo). It still may be a better deal than selling your phone elsewhere. 

Given this is sprint, I still am on the fence with this one. I use Cricket's $35 plan (4GB LTE) which runs on AT&T network. Switching to Sprint substantially increases my monthly spend on service and gives me a poorer network in my opinion. And for me, the extra amount i'd spend on monthly service offsets the discount sprint is offering. Again, this is purely my situation - for someone else,this may still be a great offer. 
    well.   This deal is probably better for you if you want to entertain sprint.

www.sprint.com/1yearfree       That will save you $35/mo - $3/mo taxes and fees * 12 = $384.  Unlimited Data, throttles at like 22GB, Comes with Wifi Call, Hotspot/Tethering, and iCloud device calling support without needing iPhone on same Wifi as your other Apple devices. 

Or the Virgin deal which is $1/yr + 0.08/mo in fees.  Also unlimited data, but no Wifi Calling, Tethering or iCloud device calling.

So basically, forget this deal. Keep your phone, or buy a new one, sell you old one and if you wanting to entertain Sprint, go for the mostly free 1 year of service offers. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 10 of 13
    sog35 said:
    And so it begins.......

Once one of the carriers do a deal the others will follow
    Sprint service is a joke. No one cares.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I suspect, Apple cut back on the deals this year, because they want you to order the iPhone x not the iPhone 8. 

I suspect Apple has to approve the deals each carrier provides.  

That's why there's. No free iPhone this year yet, there may be more lucrative deals for the iPhone X.  Depending on demand. I think that's the phone Apple really wants you to buy. 
  • Reply 12 of 13
    jeff_cook said:
    how is this a good deal? "Technically customers are agreeing to an 18-month lease which would normally cost $29.17 per month, and they should receive credit within their first two bills."

I buy a year old car out right (full price) for $650.  I trade it in for a new car which is costs roughly $50 more.  But instead of buying it and getting money for my trade it, give away my old car that I paid money for and instead I lease for 18 month for $0/mo. I don't own this car that I am leasing,  I'm just leasing it for free.  After the lease is done, I don't have the the $650 that I paid for my old car, because I simply gave it away,  nor do I have the new car because I never owned it. I was just leasing it.
    This analogy only works if you don't drive your vehicle to eliminate depreciation, gas, insurance, and maintenance just to keep your car up and running. You loose money on an old car regardless if you don't have a car payment. Leasing phones always comes out better than buying phones. 

Keep in mind your phone will have scratches on the screen and possibly some scratches and dents on the outer portion of the phone in which diminishes the value of the phone. 

Why keep on to something when you have something brand new for no cost...