Not all iOS 11 features coming on Tuesday, Apple Pay Cash coming later in the fall

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2017
Apple has detailed a few features in Tuesday's iOS 11, and has noted that the feature that allows for person-to-person money transfers, dubbed Apple Pay Cash, will arrive in an update to iOS 11 and watchOS 4.

In the announcement made on Monday heralding the imminent arrival of iOS 11, Apple notes that the feature will not ship until an update "coming this fall." It is not clear is this is a delay, or if Apple didn't plan on rolling out the feature with the launch of iOS 11.

[Update: The launch of Apple Pay Cash has not been delayed. Apple originally introduced Apple Pay Cash as an upcoming feature that would be added to iOS 11 after its initial launch, similar to the way it originally launched Apple Pay itself.

In 2014, the company initially projected that "starting in October" Apple Pay "will be available" to users in the United States, a week prior to the mid-September launch of iOS 8. It was indeed made available after the launch of iOS in a free software update delivered in October as planned.
]

Apple Pay Cash payments will be initiated through a dedicated app within Apple's Messages in iOS 11. The service will integrate with Siri's new machine learning capabilities, offering suggested amounts to send based on the context of conversations had within messages.

Once money is transferred, it will be available in a prepaid "Apple Pay Cash" card through partner Green Dot. The cash card can be used to make Apple Pay purchases in stores, in apps, or on the web, or it can be transferred to the user's bank account.

The feature is not the only one to not be available the same day as the new OS releases from Apple. External GPU support isn't expected until the spring of 2018 for macOS High Sierra, and Apple Music integration isn't coming to the LTE Apple Watch until October at the earliest.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I wonder how anonymized this is. Say you transfer funds from your bank account to the Apple Pay Cash card and then distribute said funds to other Apple Pay Cash cards of your associates. When they transfer their share to their bank account, will the middle of the transfer have been traced by the banks/governments? Does Green Dot keep records of transfers or simply work directly with banks/governments?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 10
    So has Messages in the Cloud been dropped? I was looking forward to that immensely...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    SendMcjakSendMcjak Posts: 66unconfirmed, member
    ombra2105 said:
    So has Messages in the Cloud been dropped? I was looking forward to that immensely...
    Seriously! So little news about some pretty top-level features.  I'm still wondering where AirPlay 2 went.
    tallest skilrapcatmeowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    SendMcjak said:
    ombra2105 said:
    Seriously! So little news about some pretty top-level features.  I'm still wondering where AirPlay 2 went.
    AirPlay 2 is on the iOS 11 page. Doesn't appear to have gone anywhere, but as there's no good third-party AirPlay 2 targets at this moment, its hard to test.
    edred
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator

ombra2105 said:
    It was removed during beta 5, and will be restored at some point in the fall. We talked about that in August.

SoundJudgmenttallest skilpscooter63edred2old4funlolliver
  • Reply 6 of 10
    SendMcjakSendMcjak Posts: 66unconfirmed, member
    AirPlay 2 is on the iOS 11 page. Doesn't appear to have gone anywhere, but as there's no good third-party AirPlay 2 targets at this moment, its hard to test.
    Watch: AirPlay 2 delivers speaker integration with HomeKit, Siri support, more 

I guess I've just been waiting on clarification of what "Siri support" means.  The word "delivers" is used to indicate something new, but I have no clue what that might be.  One would think it means being able to say, "Hey Siri, play {{ song }} on my {{ AirPlay 2 device }}" ... but that command doesn't work, so it's still very vague as to what new support Siri has gained thanks to AirPlay 2.

Any ideas?
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 7 of 10
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member

ombra2105 said:
    It was removed during beta 5, and will be restored at some point in the fall. We talked about that in August.

Although the setting for Messages in iCloud isn't there anymore for the last few betas, it still works (for me at least). All messages are still synced between devices.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    SendMcjak said:
    Watch: AirPlay 2 delivers speaker integration with HomeKit, Siri support, more 

I guess I've just been waiting on clarification of what "Siri support" means.  The word "delivers" is used to indicate something new, but I have no clue what that might be.  One would think it means being able to say, "Hey Siri, play {{ song }} on my {{ AirPlay 2 device }}" ... but that command doesn't work, so it's still very vague as to what new support Siri has gained thanks to AirPlay 2.

Any ideas?
    I'd say it means that the AirPlay 2 compatible device will be "Siri" device... So you will not talk to your phone/watch but directly to the speaker... but just my guess...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    JanNL said:

ombra2105 said:

Although the setting for Messages in iCloud isn't there anymore for the last few betas, it still works (for me at least). All messages are still synced between devices.
    You are able to delete a message, or specific parts of a message on one iDevice and that message is deleted on another iDevice? 
  • Reply 10 of 10
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    rysmithaz said:
    JanNL said:

ombra2105 said:

You are able to delete a message, or specific parts of a message on one iDevice and that message is deleted on another iDevice? 
    Receiving for sure is synced directly across devices (4 in my case). Not sure about deleting, it's not in my routine...