Boston Red Sox used Fitbit to steal signs, not Apple Watch, reporter claims

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Recent accusations that the Boston Red Sox used an Apple Watch to steal signs from the New York Yankees were misguided, since the team may have actually used a Fitbit instead, according to one reporter.

A Fitbit Blaze.
A Fitbit Blaze.

"Turns out there was no Apple Watch involved in Red Sox sign stealing. It was a Fitbit product according to a major league source," said the Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo. It's not clear which model would have been employed, but only a few -- such as the Blaze and Surge -- can display smartphone notifications, which would presumably be needed to pass on information given the limits of pre-Ionic Fitbit products.

Cafardo's claim is questionable, as it contradicts original reports from the New York Times, which said that not only was there footage of an Apple Watch in action, but that the Red Sox admitted to using the product.

One possibility is an over-generous use of the term "Apple Watch" to refer to any iPhone-connected wearable. Misidentification might also be an issue, given how similar some smartwatches can look, and the fact that many people don't follow wearable technology that closely.

On its own, stealing sings from catchers isn't against MLB rules. Transmitting them digitally is, as is using some other forms of equipment like binoculars.

The scandal has been been an unintended promotional boost for Apple, which not long after revealed the Apple Watch Series 3, shipping Sept. 22. The product is the first Watch with LTE, meaning users can leave their iPhone at home -- or in the locker room -- and still have access to voice, text and other data-reliant functions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    Misidentification might also be an issue, given how similar some smartwatches can look, and the fact that many people don't follow wearable technology that closely.
    I personally think a LOT of people are starting to follow the smart watch industry, especially with Apple Watch Series 3 buzz. I would hazard a guess MOST people could recognize Apple Watch...it's quite distinct.
    On its own, stealing sings from catchers isn't against MLB rules. Transmitting them digitally is, as is using some other forms of equipment like binoculars.
    Signs,* perhaps? :)
    anton zuykovjbdragondirecthackerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 46
    This changes everything.
    SpamSandwichrandominternetpersonNotsofast
  • Reply 3 of 46
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    This changes everything.
    Yes, I care even less. 

StrangeDayspeterhartrevenantpscooter63directhackerrandominternetperson
  • Reply 4 of 46
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

When I heard it was an Apple Watch, I could see how they might use various features of it to communicate to the batter surreptitiously.

When I saw the headline that it was a Fitbit, my first thought was "How?" I don't know the Blaze, but I guess it has some similar functions to the Apple Watch. I know that my Charge HR would be useless, though.

It's still a silly game, though.

cali
  • Reply 5 of 46
    This changes everything.
    And what exactly is that? 
  • Reply 6 of 46
    LOL
  • Reply 7 of 46
    This whole stealing signs thing seems really stupid to me.  The way I understand it, it's OK to steal the signs and communicate them to other players on your team. But if you use an electronic device to aid you in the theft it suddenly is against the rules.  That's like saying it's OK for my friend and I to steal from a person as long as I don't text the address where we'll do it.  If texting is involved it's suddenly illegal.  What?
    edited September 2017 directhackerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 46
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This changes everything.
    Yes indeed. This means the Apple Watch is a failure and Fitbit rulz! [sarcasm]
    edited September 2017 directhacker
  • Reply 9 of 46
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    lkrupp said:
    This changes everything.
    Fitbit - the cheater's choice.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 46
    anome said:
    lkrupp said:
    This changes everything.
    Fitbit - the cheater's choice.
    Well, duh, of course! It was designed by cheaters, as well. So, it should be a perfect match!
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 46
    I predict that soon Apple Watch will be the category name for smartwatches just like iPod was for MP3 players.
    peterhartcaliargonautdirecthackerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 46
    Fitbit...Apple Watch...its all the same! /s

Really...who the hell cares!
  • Reply 13 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    peterhart said:
    Misidentification might also be an issue, given how similar some smartwatches can look, and the fact that many people don't follow wearable technology that closely.
    I personally think a LOT of people are starting to follow the smart watch industry, especially with Apple Watch Series 3 buzz. I would hazard a guess MOST people could recognize Apple Watch...it's quite distinct.

I don't think most folks have ever SEEN an Apple watch so it would not be surprising that it's simply a catch-all name just as some people call any smartphone an iPhone. FWIW I myself have never seen one in the wild (and there's a million people in my metro area) tho no doubt some customer of mine, or someone "the next table over" has been wearing one. I've just not ever noticed. If I was looking for them I might have. 
    edited September 2017 randominternetperson
  • Reply 14 of 46
    AppleWatch, Fitbit, they're all the same in function, anyway. Why should the Boston Red Sux buy some overly expensive AppleWatch when they can get a perfectly fine Android Fitbit for one-third the price and it can be used to steal signs just as well if not better than some AppleWatch?

It's no wonder the Fitbit was mistaken for an AppleWatch.  The Fitbit does look somewhat similar to the AppleWatch.  They're both squarish.
    /s
    edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    fallenjt said:
    I predict that soon Apple Watch will be the category name for smartwatches just like iPod was for MP3 players.
    I suspect that's what's happened here.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 46
    huh- well that's that... although this is similar to how most laypeople refer to all mp3 players as ipods and all tablets as ipads.  first word that comes to mind, like kleenex.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 46
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    gatorguy said:
    peterhart said:

I don't think most folks have ever SEEN an Apple watch so it would not be surprising that it's simply a catch-all name just as some people call any smartphone an iPhone. FWIW I myself have never seen one in the wild (and there's a million people in my metro area) tho no doubt some customer of mine, or someone "the next table over" has been wearing one. I've just not ever noticed. If I was looking for them I might have. 
    You are actually saying you have never seen an Apple watch in the wild? I think sometimes you just post things to simply disagree with a post? My goodness..  The Fitbit has existed since 2011 and yet no-one knows about it.... and the Apple Watch is so insignificant in your metro area that you have not seen one on a single person in the nearly 2 and 1/2 years it has existed, yet somehow it has taken up the "catch all" name for fitness trackers/smart watches? 
    anantksundarampscooter63StrangeDayscaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jcs2305 said:
    gatorguy said:
    peterhart said:

You are actually saying you have never seen an Apple watch in the wild? I think sometimes you just post things to simply disagree with a post? My goodness..  The Fitbit has existed since 2011 and yet no-one knows about it.... and the Apple Watch is so insignificant in your metro area that you have not seen one on a single person in the nearly 2 and 1/2 years it has existed, yet somehow it has taken up the "catch all" name for fitness trackers/smart watches? 
    Don't take anything he posts seriously, he is a pro-Google troll and knows he is spouting crap.  The number of people I see wearing Watches is amazing.  My wife and I evacuated Florida recently and in airports in Tampa, Boston and Manchester NH I saw so many I felt left out not owning one, I should add, my wife does and I will get one soon.  We traveled extensively and stayed at quite a few hotels in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine before we flew home yesterday.  We saw Watches everywhere.  No wonder Apple are now the number one watch (not just smart watch) today. 
    anantksundarampscooter63StrangeDayscaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 46
    MacPro said:
    jcs2305 said:
    gatorguy said:
    peterhart said:

Don't take anything he posts seriously, he is a pro-Google troll and knows he is spouting crap.  The number of people I see wearing Watches is amazing.  My wife and I evacuated Florida recently and in airports in Tampa, Boston and Manchester NH I saw so many I felt left out not owning one, I should add, my wife does and I will get one soon.  We traveled extensively and stayed at quite a few hotels in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine before we flew home yesterday.  We saw Watches everywhere.  No wonder Apple are now the number one watch (not just smart watch) today. 
    Living in that part of the world, I couldn't agree more. 

Btw, I hope the northern New Englnders treated you well, and home was fine and dandy when you got back. 
  • Reply 20 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    MacPro said:
    jcs2305 said:
    gatorguy said:
    peterhart said:

Living in that part of the world, I couldn't agree more. 

Btw, I hope the northern New Englnders treated you well, and home was fine and dandy when you got back. 
    Thank you for your good wishes.  They did indeed treat us well, we had a fabulous trip and yes, thankfully our neck of the woods was almost unscathed. The White Mountains and Boothbay Harbor were magnificent as was the weather.
    edited September 2017