August unveils HomeKit-compatible Smart Lock Pro, redesigned Smart Lock and Doorbell Cam P...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2017
Smart lock manufacturer August on Tuesday unveiled a new hardware lineup headlined by the revamped Smart Lock Pro, a HomeKit-compatible retrofit device that boasts all-new "DoorSense" technology that alerts users when their door is left ajar. A second, more affordable device also launched, as did a new version of the Doorbell Cam.

Almost identical in appearance to the original August lock, the $279 Smart Lock Pro features an enlarged puck design that fits over existing deadbolt knobs. Inside, battery powered motors drive mechanical operation and communication, allowing users to lock, unlock and check on device status from a connected smartphone.

This year, August is bundling its Connect bridge for Wi-Fi connectivity, adding to an onboard Bluetooth radio. Together, Smart Lock Pro and Connect support HomeKit and other home automation platforms like Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa and Z-Wave Plus.

The addition of DoorSense, which uses a magnetic sensor to monitor whether a door is open or closed, aims to make the smart lock solution more secure. When in auto-lock mode, Smart Lock Pro will not attempt to throw the deadbolt when DoorSense determines the door is ajar. Alternatively, DoorSense allows the auto-lock feature to kick in as soon as the sensor determines the door is completely shut. The system can also send out alerts to registered users, notifying them that their door is still open.

August on Tuesday also unveiled a low-cost third-generation Smart Lock that comes with many of the internal trappings of the Smart Lock Pro, but in a less flashy package. Instead of a cylindrical design, the $149 Smart Lock features an oval shape and standard thumb turn switch. The unit lacks HomeKit connectivity and does not ship with the Connect bridge, but does incorporate auto-lock features and August's new DoorSense tech.

The August Smart Lock Pro and Smart Lock are available today from August.com.

Finally, August rolled out a second-generation Doorbell Cam Pro with integrated floodlight, a unique feature that allows color video capture at night. The device also packs in HindSight, a persistent buffer that automatically adds a few seconds of video to a recording triggered by the motion detection subsystem. August also promises better overall video quality than the previous model.

Though HomeKit now supports cameras, it appears August opted out of integrating the technology into its Doorbell Cam Pro.

Priced at $199, the second-gen doorbell camera hits store shelves on Oct. 10.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Is there a reason why their newest August can't support Homekit? Is that considered a "luxury" bullet point? Ridiculous.
    edited September 2017 supadav03patchythepiratelolliver
  • Reply 2 of 8
    slurpy said:
    Is there a reason why their newest August can't support Homekit? Is that considered a "luxury" bullet point? Ridiculous.
    My thoughts exactly. Was excited about the lower cost option until I read no HomeKit support. Makes the product useless to me.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Is this one of those that needs a subscription?  If so, non-starter.  Otherwise, I might consider it.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Is this one of those that needs a subscription?  If so, non-starter.  Otherwise, I might consider it.
    As the current August Lock does NOT require any subscription, I would assume the new one is the same.  
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 5 of 8
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    I've had nothing but trouble with August locks. The bluetooth geofencing doesn't work most of the time. Having to use a key most days after installing this ugly monstrosity in your door simply adds insult to injury. This is the third iteration, and I'm convinced then only reason they release new versions is to reset their reviews on Amazon, which are across-to-board terrible. 

The only thing that might save it this time is homekit integration since the geofencing is done through homekit, likely eliminating the constant issue where it did not know you were home. However, homekit requires authenticating on your device, which negates the convenience of using a geofence. 
  • Reply 6 of 8
    flydog said:
    I've had nothing but trouble with August locks. The bluetooth geofencing doesn't work most of the time. Having to use a key most days after installing this ugly monstrosity in your door simply adds insult to injury. This is the third iteration, and I'm convinced then only reason they release new versions is to reset their reviews on Amazon, which are across-to-board terrible. 

The only thing that might save it this time is homekit integration since the geofencing is done through homekit, likely eliminating the constant issue where it did not know you were home. However, homekit requires authenticating on your device, which negates the convenience of using a geofence. 
    unfortunate that you have had issues.  I on the other hand have had very few problems once we ironed out early issues with their Connect bridge.  Geofencing works exactly as promised in my situation.  I am running two of the original ones and as I said, overall, very satisfied.  Maybe the Connect bridges are the magic in the sauce in my situation.  The ONLY issue I have had is the August crying low battery incorrectly on occasion.  
  • Reply 7 of 8
    My front door is weather (humidity/temperature) sensitive. Some seasons I have to pull it against the jamb to get the deal bolt to line up with the hole in the frame. A motorized deadbolt would be helpless. Also, one more device requiring battery changes is not appealing. 
  • Reply 8 of 8
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Oddly enough I’m in the boat that it has worked too well. I need to have communication between garage door and front door. The front door opens when I come home no matter if I open the garage door or not. Not sure opening the front is optimized when approaching through the garage. 

For the people that are having issues: do you have an appletv for HomeKit? This may be the main difference.