Early reviews paint Apple's iPhone 8 & 8 Plus as good devices overshadowed by iPhone X

Posted:
in iPhone
Ahead of the devices' Sept. 22 launch, some reviews of the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are already beginning to trickle in, comparing them against both earlier iPhone models and the elephant in the room, the OLED-based iPhone X shipping Nov. 3.

CNET called the iPhone 8 a "nice upgrade" from devices like the iPhone 6s, but described the phone as essentially the "iPhone 7s" it was once rumored to be, with changes including a faster A11 processor, better camera technology, wireless charging, and a glass back, as well as 64 gigabytes of base storage. The site was more enthusiastic about the iPhone 8 Plus, calling attention to camera features like its upgraded Portrait mode and cleaner low-light shots. The site commented though that people considering a Plus might want to wait for the iPhone X to see whether the latter's upgrades are worth it.

Engadget was more enthusiastic, insisting that the 8 and 8 Plus are "definitely much more" than "7s" models, packing "great cameras, improved software and absolutely first-rate performance" into what it admitted was a "less exciting" design.

"They might not have the X's style, but the 8 and 8 Plus are truly excellent phones that won't let Apple die-hards and new customers down," the site concluded.

The Verge said it couldn't think of a "single compelling reason" to upgrade from an iPhone 7, especially given software-based upgrades coming with iOS 11, cheap wireless charging cases, and third-party apps that can replicate the iPhone 8 Plus's Portrait Lighting technology. Like CNET, it suggested the phones would be worthwhile for people upgrading from pre-7 models, but that people eyeing an 8 Plus might want to consider stepping up to an X.

The iPhone 8 is "Apple's new default phone," it said, adding that while "it's pretty great that a default phone is actually this good," it's "not the future, and it's not the cutting edge."

TechCrunch noted that it was effectively doing a camera review, not just because of the typical demand for high-quality photos and video, but because of the importance of augmented reality and computer vision. The iPhone 8 is "still going to get you most of the way to 'the best' -- especially when it comes to the camera," the site said, specifically urging people to get an 8 Plus for its "really incredible" Portrait Lighting feature. Only people who automatically buy the highest-end iPhone every year should wait for the iPhone X, it remarked.

AppleInsider is currently at work on its own iPhone 8 review, coming soon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    The iPhone 8 is the iPhone 7s, and that's not a bad thing.

At the end of the day smartphones are now mature, just like MacBooks.

Sure they'll get speed bumps and slightly better this or that, but for me at least, the general excitement of new models is gone.
    flyingdp
  • Reply 2 of 43
    The iPhone. 8 is correctly viewed as an incremental increase over the 7.  Given both the hardware and iOS11 improvements, the overall upgrade is quite good.  But it won't be enough for me to upgrade from my 7.  The Wall Street Journal review ( http://www.wsj.com/video/iphone-8-review-only-a-bit-better-than-iphone-7/6434DBBB-7FF0-45C5-9C03-9AFC8BF831A4.html ) which may be firewalled, gave the iPhone 8 a meh....

As for the iOS11 upgrade I am going to wait a bit before upgrading, as I still have 32 bit programs that won't work.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Apple wanted the iPhone to once again be the most advance mobile device as it was during the early years. The mistake was not getting fully behind iPhone X as the iPhone 8 and naming the iPhone 8 what it really is the iPhone 7s. The "X" thing baffles me since I thought we have seen the end of that numeral for good and yet some marketing genius brings it back. Another thing Apple has not done since the 90's is to make an anniversary model, Jobs was not about looking back, their is no room for nostalgia in hi tech it's go forward or die. 

Pricing the (iPhone 7s) closer to last years model would have been a better move, most people don't care that a new chip which nobody was begging for cost more to include in the new model consumers like so level of consistency when it comes to pricing. Will the new iPhone 7s sell, sure will as well as the X when it is finally released. Something I am very curious about is what will the iPhone 9 will that arrive 2 years from now? Will next year be about the 8s? Do we have the iPhone Xs next year and finally will there be an iPone 10?

randominternetpersondoozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 43
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    "The Verge said it couldn't think of a "single compelling reason" to upgrade from an iPhone 7" - This is typically the case with single version upgrades. Moving from a 6 to a 6s gets you a slightly faster device with a couple more features, but generally nothing that justifies the price. The big benefit comes when you jump 2 or 3 versions. 

That said, It seems like in many ways smart phones are becoming a pretty mature technology. For many people, the primary incentive to upgrade is becoming the fact that their old phone wore out rather than that they really want/need the new features of the latest  phone. Not good news for Apple or Samsung, honestly, but I'm sure that's also why Apple has broadened their offerings. With the updated SE and keeping the 6s in the line up, Apple now has 5 different phones in its lineup ranging from $350 to $1150 - something they've never had before and great news for consumers who get more choices.
    edited September 2017 StrangeDaysspice-boydws-2SoundJudgmentdoozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Why is the criteria if it’s a compelling upgrade from the previous year phone? How many people upgrade their phone every year? Having said that I personally think the 7 > 8 is a bigger upgrade than the 6S > 7 was.

I see some ‘designer’ put up some Medium post taking apart iOS 11. 9to5Mac has already linked to it. I’m sure the Verge and others will as it will be good for clicks.
    macxpressStrangeDayspatchythepiratedoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 43
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    saarek said:

Sure they'll get speed bumps and slightly better this or that, but for me at least, the general excitement of new models is gone.
    And to those who say they want a new design/form factor because the iPhone is 'stale'... what exactly are you expecting? Look at other failed attempts at 'new' like the Moto modular phone. I swear some people can't find anything to be satisfied with, especially if it's Apple.
    StrangeDaysbrucemcpscooter63lostkiwipatchythepirateuraharachiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 43
    spice-boy said:
    Apple wanted the iPhone to once again be the most advance mobile device as it was during the early years. The mistake was not getting fully behind iPhone X as the iPhone 8 and naming the iPhone 8 what it really is the iPhone 7s. The "X" thing baffles me since I thought we have seen the end of that numeral for good and yet some marketing genius brings it back. Another thing Apple has not done since the 90's is to make an anniversary model, Jobs was not about looking back, their is no room for nostalgia in hi tech it's go forward or die. 

Pricing the (iPhone 7s) closer to last years model would have been a better move, most people don't care that a new chip which nobody was begging for cost more to include in the new model consumers like so level of consistency when it comes to pricing. Will the new iPhone 7s sell, sure will as well as the X when it is finally released. Something I am very curious about is what will the iPhone 9 will that arrive 2 years from now? Will next year be about the 8s? Do we have the iPhone Xs next year and finally will there be an iPone 10?

Why is the 8 really the 7S? Just because the front of the device looks the same? That’s nonsense.
    StrangeDayscanukstormlostkiwichia
  • Reply 8 of 43
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    iPhone 6,7 and 8 look all the same to me. It's just......boring! 
  • Reply 9 of 43
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    ben20 said:
    Maybe Apple should make the phone triangular or something? It wouldn't make any fucking sense and it would be a usability nightmare, but at least people like you would be entertained by it for a few seconds/minutes.
    StrangeDayspscooter63lostkiwichiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 43
    lkrupp said:
    saarek said:

And to those who say they want a new design/form factor because the iPhone is 'stale'... what exactly are you expecting? Look at other failed attempts at 'new' like the Moto modular phone. I swear some people can't find anything to be satisfied with, especially if it's Apple.
    Maybe not a completely different form factor, just a more modern version of it. The 8+ has a smaller screen than the Galaxy S8 and a bigger footprint
    doozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 43
    ben20 said:
    Why does Apple need to reinvent the iPhone design every year? If the design is working, then why not stick with it? There will come a time when Apple wants to do something that doesn't fit the current design of the iPhone and they will modify it to suit their needs. They do the same thing with all of their other products. 9/10 people or better will put it in a case anyways so what difference does it make in the grand scheme of things? 
    flyingdpcharlesgresLukeCagechia
  • Reply 12 of 43
    lkrupp said:
    saarek said:

Maybe not a completely different form factor, just a more modern version of it. The 8+ has a smaller screen than the Galaxy S8 and a bigger footprint
    That’s what the X is for. 
    randominternetpersonchia
  • Reply 13 of 43
    lkrupp said:
    saarek said:

Hmm yeah if only Apple had created a new form factor with just that sort of thing in mind...
    diegogbrucemcpscooter63patchythepiratedoozydozenchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 43
    lkrupp said:
    saarek said:

Hmm yeah if only Apple had created a new form factor with just that sort of thing in mind...
    That doesn't mean they need to leave their other models getting stale. Are you honestly arguing that 8 buyers would rather have a 3yo design than something with a better screen/body ratio?
  • Reply 15 of 43
    I have a 6 128gb, and here's why I'm waiting one more year (not that you care):
    - T-Mobile's 700MHz spectrum not supported this year. Probably next year.
    - Wireless charging supported, but I'll wait for Apple to release their version before jumping on-board: usually when apple enters a field they do something to slightly tweak the standards and their version works better in their own ecosystem (W1 for headphones, homepod for speakers, etc). Risk is that next year's phone foregoes a lightning port entirely (yikes).
    - Can we not be stuck with lossy bluetooth audio? Why not wireless Airplay headphones? I'll suffer the princess leia headbuns look if that's what it takes.
    - I'll let someone else show me how great face ID works before I adopt it, thanks. Looks great, but still a version 1.0. Touch ID was so much better on the 6 than on the 5s.

Bottom line: iOS11 reminds me of OSX 10.6: Lots of stuff like "Grand Central" and "Open CL" that are building for the future. Similarly, the iPhoneX reminds me of the first retina macbook pro (which I'm typing this on right now): lots of really great "I see where Apple is going with this, and I like it" but it took another model year for the hardware (and battery life!) to really catch up to what the graphics wanted to do. Tech is always better "next year" but there are certain sweet spots every 3-5 years where the software and hardware align and the gizmo shines. Based on what I see, I think next year will be that year for a lot of different Apple products.
    blurpbleepbloopben20
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Hint for upgrading: it's not a coincidence that the A11 Bionic and Apple's AR initiative are being rolled out at the same time. If you're interested in AR, then the A11 is going to be the gold standard for it within the current lineup.
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 43
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    all of this means that I will have an easier time than normal getting my upgrade. 
    SoundJudgmentwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 43
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    ben20 said:
    Maybe Apple should make the phone triangular or something? It wouldn't make any fucking sense and it would be a usability nightmare, but at least people like you would be entertained by it for a few seconds/minutes.
    a decent sized bezel could be a start.

The top and bottom bezel on the iPhone 8 is ridiculously huge.  There literally isn't another premium phone ( $600+) that has such huge bezel's on the market except the awful Google phone.

But of course Apple does not want the 8 to steal any thunder from the X.  So large bezel had to stay on the 8.
    if they keep touch ID it has to stay. And they will. 
    SoundJudgmentwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 43
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I'm not waiting for a hard to get (and first-gen, best to wait for the second-gen with Apple) X. I'm going for the 8 Plus. As my current iPhone is the venerable old 5S! The 8 Plus will be a major upgrade for me.
    pscooter63SoundJudgmentwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 43
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    I'll take an iPhone X mini ...someday. As for now, I'll stick with my SE. Just don't like bigger devices (although I am tempted to upgrade my 9.7" iPad Pro to the 10.5", but I'll wait to see how well iOS 11 runs).