Apple Watch Series 3 with & without cellular vs. Series 1: Which model is right for you?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    it's a bummer that they are not selling a stainless steel GPS series 3.  I want the stainless steel and sapphire materials, but not the cellular.  I'm probably still going to get the cellular version anyways, and just leave cellular unactivated.
    Metriacanthosauruswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 46
    Idiotic Apple offers ONLY pink bands with the gold case version.  DUMB!  FAIL!

Is Series 3 64-bit yet?  
    uktechie
  • Reply 23 of 46
    bb-15 said:
    On the high end, the stainless steel, Hermes and ceramic Edition Apple Watches come with cellular connectivity. Internally, they are the same as the $399 Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular. Simply put, these options are a personal decision based on budget and fashion. From a technical perspective, there is nothing unique
    The higher end models have a sapphire crystal face. Definitely should be a consideration for those prone to hitting things...
    I have a stainless steel Series 2 AW and the sapphire crystal was one of the reasons I got it over the Series 1. 
    This would also apply buyers of the Series 3. 
    Other reasons to pick the Series 3 over the Series 1;
    - The speaker and microphone on the Series 2/3 are better than the Series 1. 
    - The Series 2/3 have better waterproofing allowing for water activities while wearing the AW. 
    - Series 2/3 AWs have brighter screens than the Series 1.
    - Series 3 is faster than Series 1 (or 2).
    - Series 1 does not have GPS which is a feature of all Series 3 AWs. 
    Series 1 has no waterproofing.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    elehcdn said:
    On the high end, the stainless steel, Hermes and ceramic Edition Apple Watches come with cellular connectivity. Internally, they are the same as the $399 Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular. Simply put, these options are a personal decision based on budget and fashion. From a technical perspective, there is nothing unique
    The higher end models have a sapphire crystal face. Definitely should be a consideration for those prone to hitting things...
    As someone who has broken a watch face, I wonder if the better alternative is AppleCare and the possibility of a repair.
    Always get AppleCare.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 25 of 46
    The telcos’ absurd pricing for LTE capability, which is an approximate 50% tax on the watch over two years, keeps me from buying the LTE version. This reminds me of cell providers charging for texting when it costs them NOTHING. 
    They're running out of ways to make money. It's the reason they are moving in the content producer angle of ownership.
    Plus, there’s no real competition between the various dumb-pipes providers — they’re all charging the same for LTE service on AW, and with AT&T, it’s as much as LTE for iPad. They’re ripping off the consumer, plain and simple!
    It's called feau-capitalism, better known as the 1920s where oligarchs became trusts and w/o well-regulated capitalism people will be introduced to the ugly outcome that all prices are what they want them to be, all within a few dollars of each other, yet somehow the GOP will push for lower corp tax rates and less regulations on these folks.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    noicc1138 said:
    If you are a bike rider: instead of getting a new 400 dollar Apple Watch Series 3 solely for LTE you could just get a phone mount on your bike. I have an Apple Watch and really see no need for LTE unless you have money to burn.

Pass. Far less concern with the watch than the phone. Everyone here owns an iPhone. The watch is a means of leaving the work and it's smartphone interface at home while you focus on health and instant feedback with the watch.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    nhughes said:
    Hikers should be in the same category as runners/bikers. The altimeter and the cell ping matter, especially for fast walks.
    The barometric altimeter is in both Series 3 with and without cellular. I would argue cellular is less essential for hikers, because they are probably bringing a pack with them and the "bulk" of a phone isn't a problem.
    Does the Series 3 have an actual altimeter app (or complication), ie, can it display the current altitude? Or is it just showing altitude changes like Fitbits?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Is Series 3 64-bit yet?  
    62 bit, 63 is next year and 64 the year after
  • Reply 29 of 46
    tylersdad said:
    If the Series 1 were waterproof, then it would have everything I need. I don't mind carrying my phone, so I don't need GPS on the watch. But I need it to be waterproof.
    Why?
    Even the Series 0 is water resistant (although Apple doesn't market it that way).    You can't swim with it -- but there were rumors that Tim used his in the shower prior to the initial release.   I only take mine off to sleep, swim or shower -- for the rest, it's been like the old Timex:  "Takes a licking and keeps ticking".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 46
    noicc1138 said:
    If you are a bike rider: instead of getting a new 400 dollar Apple Watch Series 3 solely for LTE you could just get a phone mount on your bike. I have an Apple Watch and really see no need for LTE unless you have money to burn.
    Or, a Series 0 would work almost as well too:
    If you're carrying a phone (even if its in a trunk in the back), the Series 0 functions the same way that a series 3 LTE does:   GPS/Speed, altimeter, time, distance, music, etc....

I use my Series 0 for all those things when biking.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 46
    nhughes said:
    Hikers should be in the same category as runners/bikers. The altimeter and the cell ping matter, especially for fast walks.
    The barometric altimeter is in both Series 3 with and without cellular. I would argue cellular is less essential for hikers, because they are probably bringing a pack with them and the "bulk" of a phone isn't a problem.
    True.  But if you have a phone with you, you could simply use its altimeter -- Which means even a Series 0 would work as well.   Stats recorded on my run yesterday while carrying my iPhone in my back pocket and wearing my Series 0:
    -- Calories:  590
    -- Distance: 10.01Km
    -- Elevation Gain:  46m
    -- Total Time:  0:58:11
    -- Avg Heart Rate:   148bpm
    -- Avg Pace:  5'48"/Km
    -- Temp:  80 degres

The Series 3 LTE won't give you anymore.   Functionally, the difference is in speed and whether or not you need to carry an iPhone and, you can swim with it (although even the Series 0 is not bothered by rain).

Perhaps the biggest drawback of the series 0 may be the noticeable lag before it displays the stats while you're running.  I've learned to first raise my wrist and THEN look at it -- but that upsets my running rhythm.   A series 3 may be in my future.
    ...  Besides, that will enable me to have the ability to call for help at pretty much anytime.   Having a Series 3 would be a great replacement for the old "LifeLine" thingee where the commercial showed the old lady unable to get up or call for help after falling on the floor.... 
  • Reply 32 of 46
    bb-15 said:
    I have a stainless steel Series 2 AW and the sapphire crystal was one of the reasons I got it over the Series 1. 
    - The Series 2/3 have better waterproofing allowing for water activities while wearing the AW. 
    Even the Series 0 is water resistant -- although Apple doesn't market that feature.   But they seem to do fine in the rain and so on.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,077member
    bb-15 said:
    The Series 1 is IPX7 rated, so it does have some water resistance. The Series 2 and Series 3 have better water resistance.

Even the first generation - which some refer to as Series 0 - was IPX7 rated. I wear it in the shower sometimes and clean it by holding it under running water and then wiping it off.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    noicc1138 said:

Pass. Far less concern with the watch than the phone. Everyone here owns an iPhone. The watch is a means of leaving the work and it's smartphone interface at home while you focus on health and instant feedback with the watch.
    Pass.  I won't go out of my front door without the ability to call for help -- ESPECIALLY if I'm out in the middle of nowhere running or cycling...   If you don't want to be interrupted, use DND.
    mac_128
  • Reply 35 of 46
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,077member
    tylersdad said:
    If the Series 1 were waterproof, then it would have everything I need. I don't mind carrying my phone, so I don't need GPS on the watch. But I need it to be waterproof.
    Why?
    Even the Series 0 is water resistant (although Apple doesn't market it that way).    You can't swim with it -- but there were rumors that Tim used his in the shower prior to the initial release.   I only take mine off to sleep, swim or shower -- for the rest, it's been like the old Timex:  "Takes a licking and keeps ticking".
    Apple did indicate that the first generation was water resistant. And it wasn't just a rumor that Mr. Cook wore his in the shower, he said as much himself. Apple also recommended holding it under running water as a way to fix a sticky Digital Crown.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Does anyone know the answer to this: How is the memory allocated in the Apple Watch Series 3? Especially the 16GB cellular? The previous versions capped 2GB to music storage. I'm not inclined to pay the uptick for cellular by itself, however if the 16BG can be dynamically allocated (as the iPhone or iPods) then that is a significant advantage to me.

I've been to the local Apple store, they basically said they had no knowledge that isn't on Apple.com. As a total Apple guy, I find that answer totally unsatisfactory, but that is a side issue. 

Any (informed) insight is welcome and appreciated!

• Reply 37 of 46
    it's a bummer that they are not selling a stainless steel GPS series 3.  I want the stainless steel and sapphire materials, but not the cellular.  I'm probably still going to get the cellular version anyways, and just leave cellular unactivated.
    I think a lot of people are missing the obvious fact that you can just buy the LTE model and not activate it. Ever. It is not like there is a massive premium for it. And should the situation ever arise where you need it, you can activate it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 46
    cjaer said:
    Does anyone know the answer to this: How is the memory allocated in the Apple Watch Series 3? Especially the 16GB cellular? The previous versions capped 2GB to music storage. I'm not inclined to pay the uptick for cellular by itself, however if the 16BG can be dynamically allocated (as the iPhone or iPods) then that is a significant advantage to me.

I've been to the local Apple store, they basically said they had no knowledge that isn't on Apple.com. As a total Apple guy, I find that answer totally unsatisfactory, but that is a side issue. 

Apple has not said yet, but I suspect you will be able to transfer more music with the LTE models. We'll let you know come Friday.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 46
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I think a lot of people are missing the obvious fact that you can just buy the LTE model and not activate it. Ever. It is not like there is a massive premium for it. And should the situation ever arise where you need it, you can activate it.
    I'm curious if the watch can be used to make emergency calls to 911 without being activated, as required by law for mobile phones. In theory it should, but not sure if there's some loophole because it shares the iPhone's number whether this requirement applies ...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 46
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

nhughes said:
    cjaer said:

Apple has not said yet, but I suspect you will be able to transfer more music with the LTE models. We'll let you know come Friday.
    One would think, but then again it runs counter intuitive to their marketing, which focus is on streaming Apple Music. Allowing more local storage would seem counter to that goal. Then again, what is all that extra storage for? Apps? Is anyone really running into storage problems with their Apple Watch now because they have too many apps? Photos? Does anybody really carry that many photos on the watch?