Protective cases you can get for your iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2018
The iPhone 8 has a different design than last year's iPhone 7, but the dimensions are very similar. It's possible you have a case that works now -- try it out and see. But, if it doesn't fit, or you just want a new case, AppleInsider has rounded up a few of the best options.

Apple iPhone 8 cases

Have an iPhone 8 or 8 Plus on the way? For those expecting a new device, the iPhone 8 cases found below provide users with a variety of options, including bright and colorful covers and cases with certified drop protection. Best of all, many of these cases can be shipped to arrive in time for the iPhone 8's official debut.

Apple

Apple iPhone 8 cases

Apple made zero mention of new cases during the release event on Sept. 12, but rest assured -- the entire line works with this years' iPhone. Like in years past, Apple's leather case comes in an assortment of colors, including a Project(RED) version.

Regardless of which color you choose, the leather case retails for $45 for the iPhone 7 or 8 and $49 for the iPhone 7 Plus or iPhone 8 Plus on Apple's website.

Silicone cases are available in a wide assortment of colors for $35 for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8, and $39 for the iPhone 7 Plus and iPhone 8 Plus.

Pad & Quill Luxury Pocket Book

Pad and Quill iPhone 8 Plus cases

Pad & Quill makes some of the nicest iPhone and iPad cases on the market thanks to handcrafted elements and premium materials. The Luxury Pocket Book for the new iPhone 8 and 8 Plus is no exception. Hand assembled in St. Paul, Minnesota, the Luxury Pocket Book has a hand-finished Baltic birch wood cradle to protect the device. Five inner pockets allow you to store an identification card, credit cards and cash with ease. Pad & Quill also stands behind their products with a 25-year leather warranty and lifetime wood warranty.

Available now in a variety of color choices, the Luxury Pocket Book for the iPhone 7 and 8 retails for $99.95, while the 7 Plus / 8 Plus version sells for $109.95. Please note, the flash unit is not fully supported with this case. For an alternative, check out the Bella Fino iPhone 8 Wallet Case, also by Pad & Quill.

OtterBox

Otterbox iPhone 8 cases

Looking for a durable case that's designed to withstand drops, dust and scuffs? The OtterBox Defender Series consists of a multitude of cases for the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus that include fun designs without sacrificing protection. In fact, OtterBox performs more than 24 tests spanning over 238 hours before a case receives the Certified Drop+ Protection designation.

Defender Series cases for the iPhone 8 start at $29.95, while cases for the iPhone 8 Plus retail for $34.95 and up direct from OtterBox.

Released for Thanksgiving, the Symmetry Series Star Wars Collection continues the long-running Symmetry line with branded cases depicting famous characters from the franchise. Darth Vader, a Stormtrooper, the BB8 droid, a scene on Ahch-to, and a "Rebel Red" logo version are included in the collection, with each having their own distinct style.

The Symmetry case is a sleek accessory, with a dual-density design and a raised beveled edge to keep the screen away from the floor if it is dropped face side down. The models are available at Otterbox.com priced at $44.95 and $54.95 for each design, for the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus respectively.

Speck

Long-time iPhone case vendor Speck is also in the fray again this year. The Presidio Inked collection is notable for colorful designs combined with enhanced protection.

Presidio Inked cases feature bezel screen and port protection in a dual-layer design with a scratch-resistant finish.

The Presidio Inked collection retails for $44.95 for the iPhone 8 on Speck's website.

Case-Mate

Case-Mate iPhone 8 Plus case

The initial collection of iPhone 8 cases from Case-Mate are fashion-focused offerings, including pressed flowers and floating scenes, but two cases stand out for being quite different.

The Compact Mirror Case has a magnetically-closed flap on the back that conceals a mirror, so users can more easily line up self portraits using the rear camera, with the flap also containing a pocket capable of storing up to four credit cards. Featuring a leather-effect look and using metallic buttons to accent the design, the Compact Mirror Case is available in a choice of black, rose gold, and iridescent colors, with prices starting at $51 with free shipping using exclusive promo code APPLEINSIDER15.

The Mood Case uses a two-piece construction to keep the iPhone 8 safe from knocks or drops, with metallic buttons on the sides and an anti-scratch coating to protect the brightly-colored case's appearance. The name refers to the temperature-sensitive film on the rear of the case, which changes color similar to a mood ring.

The Mood iPhone 8 Case is priced at $42.50 after a 15% discount with coupon code APPLEINSIDER15.

X-Doria

X-Doria iPhone 8 case

The Case Defense Clear is part of the company's extensive line of protective cases, but as the name suggests, this case has a clear phone backing that allows you to see more of the iPhone 8 than opaque models. For protection, the cases use three layers, including a DropShield liner that extends to all edges to absorb shocks, along with a raised rear TPU to keep the hard polycarbonate shell from touching surfaces and being scratched.

X-Doria is selling the Case Defense Clear for $24.99 for the iPhone 8, and $29.99 for the iPhone 8 Plus.

The Defense Lux case aims to provide a premium appearance while protecting the iPhone, combining a machined aluminum exterior frame with a soft rubber bumper, and polycarbonate inner backing. As part of the design, the case's integrated sound channel helps amplify the bottom speaker of the iPhone 8, while simultaneously redirecting sound to the front.

Available in Black Carbon Fiber, Black Leather, and Ballistic Nylon styles, the Defense Lux costs $34.99 for the iPhone 8, and $39.99 for the iPhone 8 Plus.

Silk

Silk iPhone 8 Plus case

The Folio Wallet, nicknamed the "Keeper of the Things" by the company, is a folio case that can use the front cover as a kickstand for the iPhone 8. Made from Saffiano texture fabric, the cover also has pockets to hold cash and three cards, with the case also including a security strap to keep the folio closed, and a wrist strap.

Available in Black Onyx, Champagne Gold, and Rose Gold, the Folio Wallet is currently on sale for $13.99 at Amazon with a clippable coupon.

For those wanting something similar but in a smaller package, the Vault Slim Wallet is a light and durable polycarbonate case with high-grip textured sides, making it harder to accidentally drop. Built into the case is a slot for holding up to three cards behind the iPhone 8, which are held in place until slid back out via the finger hole on the other side.

Shipping in four colors, the case is available now for $14.99, for both the iPhone 8 and the iPhone 8 Plus.

WaterField Designs

Waterfield Designs iPhone Camera Bag

Though not strictly a case, the iPhone Camera Bag will give photography-minded users a way to store accessories alongside the iPhone 8. The bag, made from chocolate leather or black ballistic nylon, can hold up to four smartphone photography lenses and a mini tripod, using a combination of padded dividers, mesh pockets, and straps.

Shipping September 27 but available to preorder now, the iPhone Camera Bag costs $99 for the ballistic nylon version, $129 for the leather.

Spigen

The Crystal Wallet Case is a two-in-one accessory for the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, providing protection and storage. The iPhone is cradled in a dual layer structure, consisting of a flexible shock-absorbing body within a hard casing, with buttons on the sides and cutouts for the rear cameras.

A slide-out cover on the rear can be used to carry two cards or cash, with it also being a handy place to store ID cards and emergency funds. Available in black, rose gold, champagne gold, and jet white options, both the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus versions are priced at $34.99.

Caseology

Skyfall is Caseology's best-selling clear case for showing off the body of your new iPhone 8 or Plus. Using a transparent acrylic shell that displays the iPhone while protecting it from scratches, the case has a shock-resistant bumper on the outside, minimizing the impact of drops and impacts.

Available in a choice of black and gray bumpers, the Skyfall case costs $13.99 for both the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus sizes.

Gear 4

The Battersea from Gear4 is a highly-protective yet simple case, with a muted black external design with an orange highlight and an orange liner, made from a soft touch polycarbonate. Importantly, the case uses D3O, a highly shock absorbent substance that allows the case to offer considerable protection in a slim package.

Compatible with the iPhone 6, 6S, 7, and 8, as well as Plus models, Gear4 is selling the Battersea case for $44.99 through its own online store.

PureGear

Combining together a wallet with a case, the PureGear Express Folio is a two-part case for the iPhone 8 and Plus. The main case provides side and rear protection for the iPhone, but it includes a magnetic that allows it to attach and detach from the folio section.

The folio itself includes a front pocket and a three-slot card and ID holder, as well as a space for the camera to shoot through at the back, with the case also able to turn into a kickstand for horizontal viewing of videos on a flat surface. PureGear sells the Express Folio for $39.99.

Olixar

If you're going away from civilization and want to make your iPhone 8 even more useful, consider the Olixar X-Ranger Survival Case. The hard-wearing tough case has a multi-layered design to keep the iPhone safe, with its non-slip bumper pads and textured brush metal surfaces providing extra grip.

Hidden in a card storage compartment is a slim multitool, which can be used as a ruler, file, screwdriver, bottle opener, can opener, and a peeler, with it also including a number of other blade-based functions and wrench holes. MobileFun sells the case for $22.49 in both black and blue colors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote: "The iPhone 8 has a different design than last year's iPhone 7, but the dimensions are very similar."

I hadn't picked up on that. Besides a mm here and there, how is the design different? Even Apple is selling the same case for both models.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 2 of 13
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    Nothing about whether any of these cases can be used with wireless charging. I know any case with metal won't work (my wallet case has some metal stiffeners in it as well as a metal piece for a magnetic car mount so it won't work) and cases can't be too thick or it won't work either, at least not on the average power wireless chargers. I understand nobody has an iPhone 8 yet to test these things but a lot of people put cases on their iPhones, sometime real thick and protective covers and nobody will remove their cases every time they want to charge. 

I did find a nice car mount with wireless charging that grips the phone. From what I've read, when the two wireless coils get in position (where's it located in the new iPhones?), they more or less lock together. How strong is this connection? I'm sure it would be the strongest without any case but I hear you also need to align the coils to get a good connection. I haven't seen any of this in Apple announcements. Maybe Apple's wireless pad has enough coils to locate the mobile devices coil but most chargers only have a single coil. We need more information so we can be ready when we get our new phones.

(Yes, I previously said I wouldn't use a wireless charger but I'll need a new case of my 8+ so I need to know which way I'll go for my car mount.)
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    rob53 said:
    Nothing about whether any of these cases can be used with wireless charging. I know any case with metal won't work (my wallet case has some metal stiffeners in it as well as a metal piece for a magnetic car mount so it won't work) and cases can't be too thick or it won't work either, at least not on the average power wireless chargers. I understand nobody has an iPhone 8 yet to test these things but a lot of people put cases on their iPhones, sometime real thick and protective covers and nobody will remove their cases every time they want to charge. 
    The Qi spec mandates 3mm and a max of 5mm. My Newer KX on the iPhone 7 Plus is one of the thicker ones, and comes in at 2.12mm, with the iPhone SE version at 2.04mm. So, barring something really stupidly thick (which we passed on), these should all work. YMMV of course.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator

Quote: "The iPhone 8 has a different design than last year's iPhone 7, but the dimensions are very similar."

I hadn't picked up on that. Besides a mm here and there, how is the design different? Even Apple is selling the same case for both models.
    It is a mm here or there, with the volume buttons being very, very slightly positioned differently. The profoundly form-fitting cases my not fit with button alignment off a hair, but the vast majority of 7 and 7 Plus cases will be fine.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    rob53 said:
    The Qi spec mandates 3mm and a max of 5mm. My Newer KX on the iPhone 7 Plus is one of the thicker ones, and comes in at 2.12mm, with the iPhone SE version at 2.04mm. So, barring something really stupidly thick (which we passed on), these should all work. YMMV of course.
    Just got a response from Otterbox:

Notes from Amy:

Our cases are compatible with the wireless charging. Thanks!

• Reply 6 of 13
    I really really really like Apple's leather case (beautiful and very protective), but...

I have one for my current iPhone 6 plus and it has one quirk: it is difficult to move apps on the homescreen from screen to screen. That has to be done in portrait mode and somehow the case gets in the way of the multitouch recognition. It can be done, but really takes effort. 

It makes me a bit anxious about iPhone X in combination with cases. Even less space between case and multitouch area...

Even normal swiping could be affected...
    Thoughts, anyone?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    WaterField Designs have some of the most beautifully crafted cases, carrying bags etc. for the iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pros. I own several of their products and couldn't be happier.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 8 of 13

Yes.  That's why I am not going to buy new case this time for my iPhone 8 Plus
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I'm looking forward to case recommendations for iPhone X.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I wish Apple would make their battery case for iPhone 7Plus/iPhone 8Plus.

Having lost power from Irma I really appreciate battery storage but none of the battery cases that I have seen use the lighting port for charging.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Regarding the impact of some of the cases on wireless charging, I would like to know if it is still okay to store credit cards in iPhone cases if one is planning to use wireless charging. It seems to me that while I doubt the chips on the new cards will lose data it may still be possible to damage them when the charging occurs due to higher than commercial grade temps. I definitely expect a shortened life for the magnetic strips on those cards.

What has been the impact on Credit cards stored in cases for Android phones that use wireless charging?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    elementcase.com
    Stunning cases that are super protective. The REV and Formula cases, in particular, look fabulous.
    edited January 2018