How to find the 32-bit apps on your iPhone or iPad that won't work in iOS 11 at all

Posted:
in iPhone
The day has come -- Apple will disallow 32-bit apps from running on iOS 11. If you haven't updated because of worries of incompatibility, AppleInsider shows you how to identify which apps installed on your iPhone are 32-bit allowing you to decide if you want to upgrade or wait.

Apple's Settings pane in iOS 10.3 allows users to easily check for installed 32-bit apps, and to see if there are updates available.

To check, open Settings. Tap on General. Tap on About, and select Applications. This brings up a list of the installed apps that are 32-bit.

In our test device, we've had four apps -- two games and two educational titles -- that are 32-bit with no updates. Since we first started talking about this, only one of the apps got a 64-bit update -- and it wasn't "Civilization Revolutions 2" by the big publisher.

Educational and entertainment titles remain the heaviest-hit by the shift, as they have historically been. That said, of a library of over 1,000 educational and game titles aimed at children in one library, we lost four apps -- more stopped working between iOS 8 and iOS 9.

Not the first time

It is unfortunate that some apps will be left behind in the shift, but every computer user has dealt with a change from on-high affecting software libraries before. The earliest releases of OS X included a Classic OS9 environment that wasn't perfect -- which was killed seven years later in 2007 with the release of 10.5.

To facilitate the shift to Intel processors, Rosetta was included with 10.4.4 in 2006, and killed when 10.7 shipped five years later in 2011. These are just recent examples for Apple -- Windows users have the same pain, just sometimes with less advanced notice.

This has all happened to us before -- it happened with the 68K to PowerPC shift, with every big OS migration, and with the shift from PowerPC to Intel. As with any architecture shift, some users get left behind.

None of this is a surprise

Apple is responsible for the safety and speed of iOS and the iPhone. It has told developers for three years, since a note in December 2014, that updates to software needed to include 64-bit support. Apple is clearly not responsible for ensuring that all iOS software works forever, on every combination of iOS and hardware.

Apple has been enforcing the requirements since June 2015. When iOS 9 rolled out, it warned that 32-bit apps could cause slowdowns, with iOS 10.3 warning in a more forceful fashion that 32-bit app support would be discontinued in a future iOS revision -- which is now upon us with iOS 11.

If you have an app that won't make it past the end of the 32-bit compatibility era, blame the developer -- there's been ample warning. If the app is mission-critical, then don't upgrade your iPhone or iPad's OS, and don't plan on moving the app to new hardware -- because 32-bit support isn't coming back.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    And of course, many of the Apps that are 32-bit only are no longer on the AppStore, examples:
    • FlightControl
    • Bookworm
    • Skee-Ball
    • Fluxx
    • eCurrency
    And for others the "official" replacements are invariably network enabled, "with friends"
    • Yahtzee Adv.
    • Boggle
    • Uno
    I'm sorry... I want to play these games solo!
    johnmcboston
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Odd...I don't have a little arrow next to Applications. It won't let me access it. Does that mean I don't have any 32-bit apps remaining on my phone?
    cali
  • Reply 3 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Odd...I don't have a little arrow next to Applications. It won't let me access it. Does that mean I don't have any 32-bit apps remaining on my phone?
    That's exactly what it means. The arrow only shows up if you have 32-bit apps to deal with. In my case, out of 95 apps, only two were 32-bit. Both were by Ford but my F-150 supported neither of them so... deleted.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 4 of 22
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    I've got many expensive apps that aren't compatible. The company 3D4Medical created many high quality apps, showing different body systems, head and neck, knee, shoulder, dental, CNS, etc. 

Then, American collegiate dictionary is incompatible. Must not be in business anymore. Couldnt think a an app more easy to upgrade. 
    cali
  • Reply 5 of 22
    I'll only be upgrading 1 of my 2 iPads to keep some of my irreplaceable (and no longer supported) apps up and running.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    lkrupp said:
    That's exactly what it means. The arrow only shows up if you have 32-bit apps to deal with. In my case, out of 95 apps, only two were 32-bit. Both were by Ford but my F-150 supported neither of them so... deleted.
    Thanks!
  • Reply 7 of 22
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Quite a few apps for me, developers abandoned them but they worked perfectly so I never sought to change them. Had to happen eventually.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    Reminds me of Windows...not updating this time, my old apps are great and I am not replacing them yet.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    That’s what it means!  Congrats. 🍾 
  • Reply 10 of 22
    This is great Apple now how about a select all and delete option. It has always frustrated me that I could find and open an app but not find and delete an app. 
  • Reply 11 of 22
    ben20 said:
    Reminds me of Windows...not updating this time, my old apps are great and I am not replacing them yet.

Unless your device is devoid of significant info. It is always a good idea to update. Not doing so because some 1$ apps can’t be updated is a bad trade. 
    pscooter63
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Hmmm, 170 out of my 557 Apps are 32-bit and will fail after the iOS update. Most are really old though and I can't see anything there that I'll really miss except perhaps Richard Dawkins: Magic of Reality, The Elements and Magic Piano which was one of the first ever iPad Apps. My kids may be upset about losing that awesome classic, Flappy Bird, too... 
  • Reply 13 of 22
    I lost 3 apps including Comic Life which I had to pay £4.99 to get the updated version. I also my Verbatim Media Share app which I use to connect to a hard drive. I will miss the Media Share app on my phone so will not be updating my iPad to iOS 11. I will also miss the Type on PDF app which is also not compatible.

Anyone having problems with the Reminders app? I cannot get my SE to recognise a press on the + button to start a new list.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    NASA TV is gone but don't panic, the new app is simply NASA.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 15 of 22
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    Two tips: 1. Leave the old apps around for a few days unless you know for sure they won't be deleted. Radium, a radio app I love for iOS was updated today to be 64-bit ... after more than THREE YEARS of absolutely no updates, communication, web page updates, etc. Put the obsolete apps in a folder so you don't accidentally launch them. 2. Contact the developers and ask (nicely) if they could at least be arsed to make a statement "NO, we won't be updating them" or "YES, sorry we're late, update coming soon."
    uktechie
  • Reply 16 of 22
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    crosslad said:

Anyone having problems with the Reminders app? I cannot get my SE to recognise a press on the + button to start a new list.
    I always have problems with reminders. I just got a reminder a few minutes ago that I was supposed to get at 5:30. And the geofencing is real spotty. I love reminders but boy is it flakey.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    lkrupp said:
    They why doesn't the article and Apple's own tech note clearly say that important piece of information? To assume everyone will know what the missing right-arrow means is ridiculous. I spent 30 minutes Googling the subject yesterday only to find all the sites saying the same thing, and no one saying anything about the missing arrow. Good documentation is specific!
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Well, well, well... iOS Photos is really screwed up. Quite a few photos and videos no longer appear in Photos and appear to be unrecoverable. Thanks a lot, Apple.

And it is utterly inexplicable why the hell they decided to bury AirDrop inside of the Control Center wifi panel (accessible with a long press). Completely bizarre.
    edited September 2017 johnmcboston
  • Reply 19 of 22
    That’s what it means!  Congrats. 🍾 
    Not quite. iPhone 5 and earlier and earlier iPads are 32 bit only and will not show the list.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Well, well, well... iOS Photos is really screwed up. Quite a few photos and videos no longer appear in Photos and appear to be unrecoverable. Thanks a lot, Apple.

And it is utterly inexplicable why the hell they decided to bury AirDrop inside of the Control Center wifi panel (accessible with a long press). Completely bizarre.
    Whenever I go to share a file, Airdrop seems to be available. I am fine with that.