Procreate 4 delivers drag and drop, Files app support, other iOS 11 enhancements

Posted:
in iPad edited September 2017
One of the App Store's best third-party illustration apps, Procreate, received a massive update on Tuesday with an all-new imaging engine and iOS 11-specific features like drag and drop, Files app support and more.

Procreate 4 delivers a slew of new features and under-the-hood enhancements, starting with a redesigned user interface that promises quick access to tools and controls.

Backing up the UI is a new painting engine called Silica M. Built entirely on Apple's Metal 2 API, with help from Swift 4 and Accelerate, Silica M draws on iPad's raw processing power to deliver a fluid and accurate painting experience.

The engine powers a new smudge tool that lets users mix and smudge paint with fast and accurate results. According to the developers, smudge is now 250 times more accurate than previous Procreate builds.

Also new is a wet painting feature that provides illustrators the option of mixing and combining paint on Procreate's digital canvas in new ways, including texture and color blending.

Layer masks make their debut in Procreate 4, allowing non-destructive edits much like desktop-class image editing and creation software.

Brushes have received a number of enhancements, including a new interface that supports iOS 11 drag and drop functionality for sharing items from Procreate's brush library. New brush blend modes can be applied to any brush, while new bleed settings provide greater material control for artists taking advantage of Apple Pencil.

In addition, Apple Pencil's tilt capabilities have been updated to feel more responsive, while all drawing tools feature refinements for a smoother experience.

As for iOS 11-specific features, Procreate 4 supports drag and drop and compatibility with the Files app, the latter being an especially useful tool for sharing work through the app's all new Gallery.

Other additions include P3 wide color support, an AirPlay Canvas feature, updated copy/paste menu, more canvas information, import and export support for TIFF and performance and stability improvements.

Further, Procreate is doing away with in-app purchases, meaning all brush sets, tools and other extras are now offered as part of the standard App Store price. The update is also free for existing users.

Procreate 4 is available for $9.99 from the iOS App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    This news prompted me to initiate my ios11 update of my iPad Pro a few days early. 

Really liked the previous version of Procreate. 

But I've been waiting patiently for someone (Adobe? Bueller? Bueller?) to bring layer masks to iOS. It's an essential pro image editor feature. 

Hoping this is the beginning of a flood of powerful new creative software on iOS.
    cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 8
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Ooh! Very nice. Can't wait!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Downloaded.

spent some time drawing and it is buttery smooth. The most complex brushes were extremely responsive.

stil figuring out the masking feature. Honestly, selections on iOS imaging apps have always been difficult for me to get. And masks are often made from (or at least begin with) selections.

anyone know if there is an equivalent to Photoshop’s Clipping Group? I use that all the time. Hard to imagine being productive without it.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    Procreate sounds like a good name for an ovulation timer.  I don't doubt it is a wonderful illustration app, but what name!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Been using the Beta for about a month. The folks at Procreate have taken a great app and have made it pretty near perfect. It's the only app I'm using anymore. I've deleted Paper, Adobe (anything) etc..etc..for artists this really is the only drawing/painting/illustrating app needed.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Procreate and Sketch Club are the two of the very best apps for pro-level illustration and paint on iOS, in my opinion.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    did the price stay the same?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    did the price stay the same?
    I was super pleased to see that it was a free upgrade for me.