Apollo Cloud 2 Duo first NAS hard drive array to support Apple's iOS 11 Files apps on iPad...

Posted:
in iPhone
Promise Technology has announced that its Apollo Cloud 2 Duo network attached storage device has received a software update to allow it to appear in the iOS 11 Files application for seamless transfer of files to and from the device from both the Mac and an iPhone or iPad.

The Apollo Cloud 2 Duo hardware itself features a dual-core processor. The unit comes in one configuration with dual-4TB "surveillance-class" hard drives which can be configured in RAID 0 or 1 configurations.

A USB 3.0 type A port allows for backup, transfer, and restore. Network connectivity is provided by a Gigabit Ethernet port. Mac users can use the device as a Time Machine drive, with incremental backups possible over the internet as well.

The Apollo Cloud app allows owners to add up to 40 members to provide a private cloud with no monthly fees. Files can be shared publicly as well to an unlimited amount of people with time-limited links.

Promise's Apollo hardware and software allows for mirroring and backup over the internet.

The update adds Drag and Drop compatibility to the Promise app, as well as full integration with Files, introduced in iOS 11. The app also allows for camera roll backup with sorting of albums by location or facial recognition. Touch ID is supported on the iPhone and iPad.

It is not clear if the Apollo Cloud app update allows for first-generation hardware to use the Files app. AppleInsider has contacted Promise regarding the matter, and will update accordingly.

The Apollo Cloud 2 Duo hardware was released in August. It is now available at Apple Stores for $499, and from other computer hardware vendors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Is this a special integration with the Files app? As my AirStash wireless harddrive showed up on the Locations tab of Files this morning without needing any software update. I also had a link to my MEGA account.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I also noticed the DS File app for my Synology Diskstation showed up during the Beta period.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    adm1 said:
    Is this a special integration with the Files app? As my AirStash wireless harddrive showed up on the Locations tab of Files this morning without needing any software update. I also had a link to my MEGA account.
    It does appear to be so. We've asked for a review unit to confirm.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    napman said:
    I also noticed the DS File app for my Synology Diskstation showed up during the Beta period.
    I've got a Synology as well and observed the same DS Files app after upgrading my iPad Pro last night. 

The interface is kinda weird when you touch the DS File app—summoning a modal window in the middle of the screen. Maybe a native implementation offers a better browser?

i haven't become familiar enough with the Files App to know if there are better & worse implementations. 

I'd consider changing my NAS device out for one that offers the most native implementation. If I can blur the lines between iOS & MacOS it's worth the expense. 

i am excited to incorporate my Synology via Files so I can directly edit client files wit iOS apps that live be on the Synology. The process before native file access was way too annoying. I'd rather just fire up the Mac than go through the gymnastics required. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 5 of 5
    OK, so where is AirPort Time Capsule support? I mean AirPort Time Capsule is an Apple product after all.