Early Apple Watch Series 3 reviews skew friendly, but with concerns about cost & glitches

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Some of the first reviews of the LTE-equipped Apple Watch Series 3 emerged on Wednesday, giving the wearable praise in many respects, but also raising issues around limitations and early bugs.

Wired was one of the most positive outlets, claiming that the Series 3 was the first smartwatch that "felt like something more," an "awesome evolution of the iPod" when paired with Bluetooth headphones. The device is said to keep people connected while freeing them from their phones, avoiding unnecessary distractions at places like the gym.

The site did complain that the product's battery "remains the biggest limitation," and that watchOS still needs a simpler interface, as well as more and better apps.

"And, for the love of everything holy, Apple needs to make a Watch with a screen that's always on," it added.

One of the most negative reviews came from The Verge, which complained that LTE simply didn't work properly for them, since the Watch would try to connect to unknown Wi-Fi networks instead of cellular even after Apple sent out a replacement unit. The site also complained about problems like the reliability of Siri, and an absence of any built-in music or podcast streaming options. Apple Music is only set to arrive on the device in October.

CNET found that LTE worked well for tasks like calls, Siri, and messaging, and noted that music syncs more easily. It also commended the new watchfaces and fitness tracking options, and the fact that the product is about the same size as the Series 2 despite new connectivity. It did point out however that battery life "takes a major hit" when making calls or using GPS, and that 42-millimeter, LTE-equipped versions of the device are expensive, especially when factoring in monthly carrier and music streaming fees.

TechCrunch said that it was able to make it a full day on LTE only, and that the "phoneless freedom" the Series 3 offers might be worth a buy. It did caution that people should consider whether the costs of the LTE model will be worth it, and suggested that people with a Series 2 may have little reason to upgrade beyond cellular.

The New York Times suggested that "most people" can skip the cellular model, in part because of cost, but called the device a "well-designed, durable and easy-to-use fitness tracker for people who want analytics on their workouts and general health (R.I.P., Fitbit)." It claimed that features like Siri "work quickly and reliably," and remarked that it had over 40 percent battery left after a full day.

"The Apple Watch Series 3 is the first sign that wearable computers are maturing and may eventually become a staple in consumer electronics," the paper concluded.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    i'm sure this will be corrected soon enough...just a reason for big money to take stock down so they can buy cheaper.

Please can someone help me: if i choose the series 3 (non-LTE) version, how many GB are for storing music locally? is it the same as the series 2 (2GB) or more? I cannot find an answer anywhere on the internet and posted this many times on this forum with no answer found.
    thank you
  • Reply 2 of 22
    funny how analysts say the apple watch is immaterial to stock price and how it "won't move the needle", but a few reviews come out that can be corrected with a software update and all hell breaks loose and take down a 820 Billion market cap company almost 2%.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 3 of 22
    How do we know the stock is down because of Apple Watch reviews?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    NY1822 said:
    i'm sure this will be corrected soon enough...just a reason for big money to take stock down so they can buy cheaper.

Please can someone help me: if i choose the series 3 (non-LTE) version, how many GB are for storing music locally? is it the same as the series 2 (2GB) or more? I cannot find an answer anywhere on the internet and posted this many times on this forum with no answer found.
    thank you
    Last I heard is it is still 2GB limit, don’t know though.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Wired said:
    "And, for the love of everything holy, Apple needs to make a Watch with a screen that's always on," it added.

As soon as I read that, I know everything I need to know about the reviewer:   As a runner I would love to have an Apple Watch with a screen that's always on.   But I also know that, for Apple to do that would necessitate replacing the high end OLED screen with a crappy Garmin type screen.

Apple has quite obviously decided the high end OLED screen is the better choice and is not willing to accept the trade-offs a crappy always-on screen would entail.
    ... And besides:   if the screen is on before I finish raising my wrist to look at it, what's the problem?

• Reply 6 of 22
    How do we know the stock is down because of Apple Watch reviews?
    bc when news came out pre-market the stock tanked....
    when the weather man tells us it's gonna rain and you see people walking around with umbrellas when it's cloudy, a logical assumption would be to conclude they are carrying umbrellas bc they are anticipating rain. I would not be doubting why they are carrying umbrellas.
    There is no way to prove 100% why a stock moves (as i'm sure you are aware). So a reason (i.e.: bad review of a watch's key selling feature) is an actionable (buy/sell) catalyst for money managers. And a logical assumption would be to conclude the sharp drop in share price, coincidentally occurring within 1 minute of reports coming out, means the two are related. 
    This has been proven and is know in the industry bc they have algorithms in place scanning the internet for key words (i.e.: takeovers, mergers, product recalls, bad reviews, etc.) to trigger buy/sell of shares of stock...
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 7 of 22
    The Series 3 GPS has 8GB Flash, the same as the older models, according to the Apple site, so it will be 2GB. This is 13-26 hours of music or so, depending on quality-settings. The modest $70 premium for the Cellular model with 16GB makes it attractive for many people, even if they do not intend to buy a plan for it immediately.
    edited September 2017 dws-2doozydozenGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 8 of 22
    sog35 said:
    The site did complain that the product's battery "remains the biggest limitation," 

What STUPID reviewer this is.

So they want longer battery life AND an always on screen?

Their total lack of physics and battery technology is ridiculous.
    I've used an Apple Watch (the original) since the time it came out and I've never ever had battery issues. I don't know where this battery is the biggest limitation thing comes from.

The biggest limitation for me is how damn slow the watch is sometimes. Its very slow to respond, but I think thats because Apple clocked the CPU down so much it makes the watch sluggish.

I also don't always want the watch face on. The way Apple has it working is perfect. It knows when you raise your wrist to look at the watch and enables the screen. The watch can be very bright in dark places so this would be a situation where you wouldn't want it on all the time. I don't really see the advantage of having it on all the time. I also don't want others to glance at my wrist and see my notifications, and things like that. Its just all around a bad idea. Like you hinted...that kills the battery.

The watch is only so large so you can only put so big of a battery inside it unless you want this ridiculously thick watch just to accommodate a larger battery.
    edited September 2017 Soli
  • Reply 9 of 22
    ""And, for the love of everything holy, Apple needs to make a Watch with a screen that's always on," it added." Yeah, my Series 0 screen that only turns on when I want it to is dreadfully inconvenient.
    SoliGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    The site did complain that the product's battery "remains the biggest limitation," 

I've used an Apple Watch (the original) since the time it came out and I've never ever had battery issues. I don't know where this battery is the biggest limitation thing comes from. The biggest limitation for me is how damn slow the watch is sometimes. Its very slow to respond, but I think thats because Apple clocked the CPU down so much it makes the watch sluggish. I also don't always want the watch face on. The way Apple has it working is perfect. It knows when you raise your wrist to look at the watch and enables the screen. The watch can be very bright in dark places so this would be a situation where you wouldn't want it on all the time. I don't really see the advantage of having it on all the time. I also don't want others to glance at my wrist and see my notifications, and things like that. Its just all around a bad idea. Like you hinted...that kills the battery. The watch is only so large so you can only put so big of a battery inside it unless you want this ridiculously thick watch just to accommodate a larger battery.
    Battery is mainly an issue if you're into running and/or you're used to the longevity of other devices. 18 hours is enough for most people, but that can shrink rapidly if you use GPS, never mind things like phone calls. It's also far less than what devices from Garmin and Fitbit are capable of - of course, those are primarily fitness trackers, not general-purpose smartwatches.
    GeorgeBMacgatorguy
  • Reply 11 of 22
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:

I've used an Apple Watch (the original) since the time it came out and I've never ever had battery issues. I don't know where this battery is the biggest limitation thing comes from. The biggest limitation for me is how damn slow the watch is sometimes. Its very slow to respond, but I think thats because Apple clocked the CPU down so much it makes the watch sluggish. I also don't always want the watch face on. The way Apple has it working is perfect. It knows when you raise your wrist to look at the watch and enables the screen. The watch can be very bright in dark places so this would be a situation where you wouldn't want it on all the time. I don't really see the advantage of having it on all the time. I also don't want others to glance at my wrist and see my notifications, and things like that. Its just all around a bad idea. Like you hinted...that kills the battery. The watch is only so large so you can only put so big of a battery inside it unless you want this ridiculously thick watch just to accommodate a larger battery.
    Battery is mainly an issue if you're into running and/or you're used to the longevity of other devices. 18 hours is enough for most people, but that can shrink rapidly if you use GPS, never mind things like phone calls. It's also far less than what devices from Garmin and Fitbit are capable of - of course, those are primarily fitness trackers, not general-purpose smartwatches.
    These things are twice as big in volume that’s something many people forget
    GeorgeBMacEsquireCats
  • Reply 12 of 22
    NY1822 said:

thank you
    If this is true, this is a deal-killer for me (since, according to yesterday's reports, I cannot access my music directly from the phone either). It would be truly pathetic on Apple's part to restrict it to 2GB.

I am going to cancel my order of the black SS for now, and wait to see how this all pans out. In the meantime, the S0 is perfectly fine for my needs.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 22
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:

I've used an Apple Watch (the original) since the time it came out and I've never ever had battery issues. I don't know where this battery is the biggest limitation thing comes from.

The biggest limitation for me is how damn slow the watch is sometimes. Its very slow to respond, but I think thats because Apple clocked the CPU down so much it makes the watch sluggish.

I also don't always want the watch face on. The way Apple has it working is perfect. It knows when you raise your wrist to look at the watch and enables the screen. The watch can be very bright in dark places so this would be a situation where you wouldn't want it on all the time. I don't really see the advantage of having it on all the time. I also don't want others to glance at my wrist and see my notifications, and things like that. Its just all around a bad idea. Like you hinted...that kills the battery.

The watch is only so large so you can only put so big of a battery inside it unless you want this ridiculously thick watch just to accommodate a larger battery.
    My Gen 0 is only sluggish when I'm running and want an update on my pace, heart rate and distance.   It takes a second to refresh -- particularly if I'm using a 3rd party app (iCardio) which needs to sync to the phone to get the info.   Otherwise it is as snappy as ever....
  • Reply 14 of 22
    I'm not Apple fanboy, but couldn't throw my money at Cupertino fast enough for the Apple3.  This will be my first apple watch as prior to LTE it was nothing more than a gimmick IMO.  Now there will be a function I want...not carrying my phone all the time.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    NY1822 said:

thank you
    If this is true, this is a deal-killer for me (since, according to yesterday's reports, I cannot access my music directly from the phone either). It would be truly pathetic on Apple's part to restrict it to 2GB.

I am going to cancel my order of the black SS for now, and wait to see how this all pans out. In the meantime, the S0 is perfectly fine for my needs.
    Did you notice that all Series 3 Stainless Steel models are cellular and therefore have 16GB Flash memory? That gives ample space for music on-watch.

If you intend to keep your S0 model, then maybe you should not install watchOS 4, because that stops direct access to the music library (for browsing and selecting). Playing music from the iPhone (selected on the iPhone) remains possible, even on watchOS 4, with the 'Playing Now' app on the watch.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    airnerd said:
    I'm not Apple fanboy, but couldn't throw my money at Cupertino fast enough for the Apple3.  This will be my first apple watch as prior to LTE it was nothing more than a gimmick IMO.  Now there will be a function I want...not carrying my phone all the time.
    B E    C A R E F U L L !
    ...  The damned things are addictive!

(enjoy!)
  • Reply 17 of 22
    NY1822 said:

thank you

Did you notice that all Series 3 Stainless Steel models are cellular and therefore have 16GB Flash memory? That gives ample space for music on-watch.

If you intend to keep your S0 model, then maybe you should not install watchOS 4, because that stops direct access to the music library (for browsing and selecting). Playing music from the iPhone (selected on the iPhone) remains possible, even on watchOS 4, with the 'Playing Now' app on the watch.
    Maybe I don't understand what you mean -- but that's not what I see:
    I have an original series Apple Watch running OS4 (as of this morning).  When I go to music in the Watch app on my phone (OS11) to add music (in this case a Playlist that was downloaded from Apple Music) it says that it will sync when the Watch is being charged.  It's updating right now (or it says it is...).  And, at the top it says: 

"Music syncs when the Apple Watch is on its charger.  Once its synced, music will be available on Apple Watch even when it's out of range of your iPhone.

And, when I go to "About", I can see the songs loading -- it's up to 3 right now.

So, no, even with Apple Music you can still download songs to both your iPhone and to your Apple Watch.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    NY1822 said:

thank you

If there's at least 10GB for music, I might reconsider. I am in no hurry. And, yeah, I'll hold off on watchOS 4. I was planning to anyway, because of this. 

Still, it's rather retrograde of Apple to kill this important functionality. 
  • Reply 19 of 22
    sog35 said:

Welcome to the Verge! /s
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I don’t consider the screen switching off when I’m not looking at it “a glitch”. 
    GeorgeBMac