Best web development system for a switcher?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi everyone.

I'm a longtime software developer looking to make the switch. I haven't used Macs since 1993, but I've loved Macs and Apples for a long time. My first computer was an Apple IIC+ which I still have.

I'm looking to make the switch as easy as possible and need to be able to run applications like Studio MX, Photoshop, etc. easily and would like something portable. I don't know anything about Mac system specs (in regards to the whole Windows processor speed fiasco, etc) and would genuinely like some good recommendations. Should I go straight to PowerBook? When is the 15" model going to be upgraded? I want to make an informed decision.

Thanks for your time.

Shannon

[ 03-16-2003: Message edited by: SouthernShred ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    go as big and powerful as you can while still having 512MB RAM or more i'd say
  • Reply 2 of 14
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Yes, you should get a powerbook. I don't know what type of heavy-lifting you'll be doing, but I've found that the best balance of portability and power is the 12" powerbook. Plus, it's the cheapest of the powerbook line. If you'll be doing a lot of coding, you should be more than happy with the 12". Like ast3r3x said, get as much RAM as possible for OS X. 640 will max out the 12" powerbook.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    appleinsider servers seemed to have lost my longtime screen name... so I'm under another one.

I would not advise getting a 12" powerbook. It is an inferior machine to the 15 and 17 PowerBooks. If Studio MX and Photoshop are you most frequently used apps, I would shoot for as much desktop real estate as possible.

If you have design windows opened all over the place, you screen becomes smaller and smaller. If you can swing it, get the 17. If not, get the 15... but don't get the 12".... EVEN if you plan on hooking up an external monitor.

Lets face it, we get laptops for portability. Imagine designing with an admirable vista in the background for inspiration, or where ever. You are going to want the largest screen possible.

Unlike x86/Windows PCs, Apples hold their value for a long time. This is good and bad. Good because you can sell later and not loose a boat load of cash (compared to PCs). Bad because buying a machine at the bottom of Apples lineup does not help you much as far as savings go.

In other words, buy the baddest PowerBook you can afford.

If you can handle it, and PowerBook 17" with 1GB of RAM would keep you happy for a long, long time.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by design_ninja:

<strong>appleinsider servers seemed to have lost my longtime screen name... so I'm under another one.

I would not advise getting a 12" powerbook. It is an inferior machine to the 15 and 17 PowerBooks. If Studio MX and Photoshop are you most frequently used apps, I would shoot for as much desktop real estate as possible.

If you have design windows opened all over the place, you screen becomes smaller and smaller. If you can swing it, get the 17. If not, get the 15... but don't get the 12".... EVEN if you plan on hooking up an external monitor.

Lets face it, we get laptops for portability. Imagine designing with an admirable vista in the background for inspiration, or where ever. You are going to want the largest screen possible.

Unlike x86/Windows PCs, Apples hold their value for a long time. This is good and bad. Good because you can sell later and not loose a boat load of cash (compared to PCs). Bad because buying a machine at the bottom of Apples lineup does not help you much as far as savings go.

In other words, buy the baddest PowerBook you can afford.

If you can handle it, and PowerBook 17" with 1GB of RAM would keep you happy for a long, long time.</strong><hr></blockquote>

While I agree with your points, I was suggesting the 12" because he said he was a software developer, not a designer. I code. I don't need as much real estate as designers need. But that's just me...

Maybe you could tell us more about what you want to do with the computer?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    The 15 inch is a far better solution than the 12" because of the video card the screen realistate and the gigabit ethernet. I did a lot of design in photoshop, premiere and dreamweaver on the TI 15" I must say it was the best computer i ever had. Having said that, I just sold it on eBay to buy the 17". You may want to wait for the Aluminum 15" as the TI will no longer be current. Which will affect resale value.

If you do not want a portable any imac or Tower will do for the apps you are planning on using. Though I would recommend a superdrive.

Duel processors are great but they really come into play when you are mixing video or 3D graphics. Which is not to say that photoshop is not better on a faster machine, but it works on even the slowest of computer. web designers use small files and do not actually demand processor power from their computers. look for features like Superdrive, bluetooth, video cards, ect. the speed of the machine is secondary as I am a photoshop guru and a web designer and in truth i could do all of my work on the slowest mac that apple sells. However, I spoil myself with a top of the line machine about every 2 or 3 years. ( a philosophy I recommend) I have just ordered a 17" and I bought the Duel 500 machine when it was first anounced a few years back.

As an end note I must say that I have used desktop machines for work my whole working life. Laptops were always something that was a scaled down week machine that you did design on when you had to. After owning the TI powerbook I have lost interest in desktops. I actually prefer working on the portable when i am at home. the duel processor collects dust in the corner. So, if you can swing it, get a 15" or a 17" powerbook. as a pro it makes for great meetings to have all of your work portable. If you go with a destop just get which ever design or color you like that has a superdrive.

[ 03-16-2003: Message edited by: JC ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 14
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    I've got a 12" PowerBook, and have it running Apache, Lasso and MySQL, as well as three browsers simultaneously, BBEdit and PhotoShop - no problems there.

However, if you're doing anything over a length of time you'll need an external monitor - I hook mine up to an old Apple 17" CRT or a 22" LaCie - the latter running at 1200*1600.

If you want the dual functionality of portable and desktop, then I think the 12" is a good solution (but the screen isn't the best). If you don't want the portability any desktop machine will do the job - web graphics work isn't very processor intensive, it's all lowres.

As to the 15" revision. I can?t see it happenning in the immediate future. If Apple revised it they'd have to go X only, that would leave them with no 9.x "pro" portable - and I don't think they're quite ready to go there yet.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    the 12 inch has a with brilliant 1024-by-768-pixel resolution, I sugest that you set your monitor to that and work in it for awhile and see if you like it. keeping in mind that the icons will also be super small.

the 15" has a 1280-by-854-pixel resolution so you can try that as well.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Hey guys, I hate to move a thread with replies like this... but purchasing advice does belong in General Discussion.

I'll even include a nice <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=004197"; target="_blank">link</a> for you to get there.

[ 03-16-2003: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 14
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    You need a screen that's with bigger and higher res screen

12" is too small physically and not enough resolution. 1024x768 in these days are only good for holding palettes ONLY
  • Reply 10 of 14
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    I'll second the vote for the PB 12" for the only reason I can get any work done on my iBook 12". Desktop spanning. Any light development, admin, or design work needs a second monitor. Additionally it's near impossible to get any of my school work done on a single 1024x768 display. Dual 1024 is really the bare minimum, and I'd expect it to be the same for any one who does a serious amount of work on their computer. I love the portability, but when I sit down to work I need the room.

The 12" iBook, and Powerbook offer this. I'd recommend the Powerbook for the speed you're looking for. I'd avoid the 15" before it's updated and the 17, well, if you can afford it.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Hey, since everybody is going for the 17 you can get a used TI 15 on eBay cheap. A great machine if you are on a budget. My question to you is are you a hobbiest or a professional. Because if you have pro ambitions then you will spend a great amount of time infront of your laptop. I believe that if you must drive a lot then you may as well drive a cadilac. After all it is your job, you are a pro this is what credit cards are for. I have never heard about anybody wishing that they bought the slower machine a year later. Plus if you buy the top of the line you will probably be able to sell it for $2000 is 2 years. Its way more power than you require for the apps you are running but the built in bluetooth and the backlit keyboard are nice little things that spoil us in a good way. Plus you may never want another desktop
  • Reply 12 of 14
    To answer some of your questions, I'm a pro. This is how I make my living. That said, I want this to be my desktop replacement. Although I'll primarily run Studio MX and Photoshop, I'll also be doing straight up coding, etc. Thanks for all of your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Shannon
  • Reply 13 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by SouthernShred:

<strong>... That said, I want this to be my desktop replacement. ...

Shannon</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, there is only one true desktop replacement for a pro right now. I recommend the 17. though a 15 could foot the bill as well, but, not a 12 :cool:

[ 03-17-2003: Message edited by: JC ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Wonder how long of a wait I'm looking at? Do you guys recommend purchasing through the Apple Store online or a reseller? Anyone use the Apple instant financing?