Apple's AirPlay 2 not currently functional in iOS 11 devices connected to tvOS 11

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple's AirPlay 2 discussion at the 2017 WWDC promised streaming support to multiple targets from an iPhone or iPad -- but initial testing seems to suggest that the feature is not currently enabled in iOS 11, tvOS 11 or both.

Following the suggestions of several forum members, and emails, AppleInsider set out to try multiple room streaming feature of iOS 11 to a pair of fourth-generation Apple TVs updated to tvOS 11. At present, there appears to be no way to either add the Apple TV to HomeKit as Apple suggested was necessary during the WWDC, nor any way to discretely select the track in Apple Music.

The procedure followed within Apple Music was to start a track playing, then click on the AirPlay button. All possible targets for AirPlay were available including an AirPlay Denon receiver, and an assortment of third-generation Apple TVs. The Apple TV units labeled "Office" and "Living Room" are fourth generation devices.

The interface presented differs from what Apple suggests it should look like in iOS 11 on the product page for the operating system.

We eliminated the Airport Extreme base stations as a possible source of problems by connecting the Apple TV set-tops to two other 802.11ac routers both wired and wirelessly, with them still not able to be selected in tandem.

All of the devices appear in iTunes in Sierra and the "gold master" of High Sierra as AirPlay streaming targets to multiple speakers -- as they should. However, this is not AirPlay 2, and the functionality has been in place in one form or another since 2010.

AppleInsider has reached out to Apple for comment, and will update accordingly.

We can't conclude with any certainty that iOS 11 has omitted AirPlay 2, as it remains possible that tvOS 11 doesn't have it implemented. Given the lack of compatible speaker hardware to examine the feature with, we won't know for sure until Apple says something about it one way or another.
Boonmee udomjit(รวมพล)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    The amount of features announced for IOS 11/TV OS 11 not rolled out feels like that Apple stopped working on software for a few months and put all their resources into hardware for the latest announcements,which is sorta annoying.
    anantksundaramwilliamlondonboxcatcheravon b7
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Lots of missing and/or clunky stuff in iOS 11. Guessing that 11.1 will be the OS we all expected at launch
    anantksundaramdoozydozenboxcatcherdysamoria
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Lots of missing and/or clunky stuff in iOS 11. Guessing that 11.1 will be the OS we all expected at launch
    Isn't that usually the case with previous iOS releases. General rule of thumb that I follow.
    hmurchison
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Push the release out, fix the bugs later. -- Microsoft
    anantksundaramdoozydozenwilliamlondondysamoria
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Pretty sure AirPlay 2 wan't supposed to be released until Sept 22nd.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,837administrator
    emoeller said:
    Pretty sure AirPlay 2 wan't supposed to be released until Sept 22nd.
    This Friday? Based on what?
    edited September 2017 anantksundaramdoozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 19
    OK I knew I was not going crazy Im so happy this was brought up. Im guessing its just rolling out later.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    SO GLAD you wrote about this. Apple Support on the phone and online is acting as if they're unaware of this missing functionality. I don't mind having to wait, I just wish they'd issue a statement about the delay so I didn't waste time trying to get it to work.
    anantksundaramdoozydozendysamoria
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Isn't that usually the case with previous iOS releases. General rule of thumb that I follow.
    Not usually. The 11.0.1 release will be for bug fixes.  The  .1 release is usually for adding features that are announced later such as ones relating to new hardware that wasn't announced in June.  This was the case for the iPhone 7 Plus's portrait mode last year.  Or Live Photos in iOS 9.1 when 3D Touch was announced for the 6s. 

The features announced at WWDC usually all launch in September with the GM.  In this case, it might be due to the hardware requirements such as needing firmware updates to more devices such as Airport Expresses, older Apple TVs and 3rd party devices.  Also, Apple may not be in a rush to launch this ahead of the HomePod launch. It could lessen demand for the device if people start getting their homes set up with Apple TVs and 3rd party speakers.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    The amount of features announced for IOS 11/TV OS 11 not rolled out feels like that Apple stopped working on software for a few months and put all their resources into hardware for the latest announcements,which is sorta annoying.
    Software programmers are not interchangeable with hardware engineers.
    williamlondonunbeliever2StrangeDaysmacxpressmike1creek0512igorskydysamoriakingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 11 of 19
    I'm looking for Airplay2 to be added along with iMessages in the Cloud, Apple Pay Cash,  when the HomePod hits in December. 

• Reply 12 of 19
    delayed features are disappointing, sure, but it’s probably a sign that annual updates to iOS as a platform is getting too ambitious. complexity in the platform is increasing.
    igorsky
  • Reply 13 of 19
    delayed features are disappointing, sure, but it’s probably a sign that annual updates to iOS as a platform is getting too ambitious. complexity in the platform is increasing.
    The "sign" has *been* here. Writ large, with flashing lights, color vomit, blaring sirens...
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Asked about this on each beta release ... glad it's finally getting some attention.

How hard would it for Apple to at least make a statement on AirPort Express support? Jesus, Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    dysamoria said:
    The "sign" has *been* here. Writ large, with flashing lights, color vomit, blaring sirens...
    What is the solution? I see two: delay the major release until all features are done, or delay the slower features to a point release. They are doing the latter. Which do you prefer?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 19
    To be fair they said iOS 11, so as long as it is out before iOS 12 they are ok right....
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Close to this, but different subject... Apple TVOS 11 not working with AirPods as elegantly as expected. They are supposed to become a speaker target, but trying several times, I can only get them to sync the old bluetooth connect path in settings. Anyone point me to a solution, I would appreciate it. 
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Apple support just called me back and confirmed the multiroom support is coming in a future update, and the info is supposedly mentioned, though buried, in a document on Apple's website (buried so much that it isn't easily Googleable).
  • Reply 19 of 19
    iOS: Settings -> Developer -> AirPlay 2, may require the same on TvOS and see how far you get....