Apple TV 4K impressions positive, depending on how bought-in users are to iTunes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    I'm seeing a lot of kvetching about the wrong features. 

I don't care that YouTube 4K videos aren't supported as much as I 

still see fundamental issues with media streamers in general.  

There is still no easy way to access local content (NAS or DAS) 

There is no way to authenticate 3rd party apps to playback iTunes content. 

Live streaming feels like an infant that refused to grow into a toddler. 

The issues with streaming isn't the content it's the companies and their 

hellbent desire to balkanize everything for profit.    Encryption is designed to 

not only keep data safe but also to maintain that safety whilst keeping that payload 

portable. 

We shouldn't have to jump through flaming hoops to play back content we paid for in the manner that 
    best fits our purpose.

williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 34
    "Nilay Patel from The Verge criticized the device for forces mostly out of Apple's control..."– yeah, that sounds about right!
  • Reply 23 of 34
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Really? Apple is getting trashed for Disney not releasing 4k content?

No one before was being blamed for Disney's decisions.  Why now?

sog35 said:
    smaffei said:
    sog35 said:
    Having my HD videos turn into 4k videos for FREE is the killer feature.

That alone will pay for the ATV 4k
    Well, not really "free" since the device costs twice as much as the competition. The 4K fee is cooked into the price of the unit.
    I have 20 movies on iTunes that will be 4k for free. Those cost $10 extra on other services.

$10 x 20 = $200

Like I said they pay for my Apple TV.

And from now on all major releases on iTunes will have 4k.

The competition does not cost half the price. Roku Ultra is $99. The ATV is $179.  That's 70% more not DOUBLE.

So what do you get for the extra $79?

1. Touchpad remote

2. More onboard storage

3. Much faster CPU

4. Better UI, better App store, better intergation with Apple services

....I already explained this shit to him.

No it’s not “cooked” into the price. Do the math and Apple TV is worth $200. What do you expect the price to be? $50 for a gaming console, 4k Dolby Vision/Atmos streamer, Apple ecosystem, Siri remote?

Using your argument, I have 260 movies.
    260 x $20 = $5,200

$5,200 - $200 = A $5,000 value!!

Apple doesn’t have a villain CEO twisting his mustache as he watches the world on a monitor. If they did, the Siri remote wouldn’t have gotten a price drop, 4k movies wouldn’t be priced as HD and I don’t know, we wouldn’t have gotten free 4k movies?!
    Soli
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

"Patel noted that any sub-4K content you own is upscaled on the device with what the Apple TV picks for settings as a default, and processed into 4K HDR regardless of source, at 60Hz. The upscaling apparently works fine for Apple-provided content, but fell down with a HBO Go viewing of "The Dark Knight" in HD.”

I wonder if it will upscale ripped DVDs served from old iMac? I guess the question is partially answered in the next graph: perhaps, but poorly.

Nobody delved into that in any of their reviews.

We are, though.
    Soli
  • Reply 25 of 34
    I purchased the larger capacity model at 7:00 AM Eastern time on the 15th thinking i would get my Apple TV a week later, boy was I wrong, looks like second week of October. Has anyone else had a similar delay?
  • Reply 26 of 34
    spice-boy said:
    I purchased the larger capacity model at 7:00 AM Eastern time on the 15th thinking i would get my Apple TV a week later, boy was I wrong, looks like second week of October. Has anyone else had a similar delay?

you ordered 4 hours too late.  They went on sale 3AM eastern, mine's at the local UPS office for delivery tomorrow as of an hour ago.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

"Patel noted that any sub-4K content you own is upscaled on the device with what the Apple TV picks for settings as a default, and processed into 4K HDR regardless of source, at 60Hz. The upscaling apparently works fine for Apple-provided content, but fell down with a HBO Go viewing of "The Dark Knight" in HD.”

I wonder if it will upscale ripped DVDs served from old iMac? I guess the question is partially answered in the next graph: perhaps, but poorly.

I'm very concerned about this. I bought a Sony 900E especially for the amazing upscaling algorithms it employs. They are world class state of the art industry leaders in this area. If Apple's upscaling is inferior, I'm not going to be happy with this. I can't believe it doesn't have a direct native output, like most boxes. And the idea it would impose artificial HDR on non-HDR sources, without the ability to bypass it, is ridiculous. Presumably this is fixable via software, but this thing is going back if Apple doesn't fix this within the return window.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    tshort said:
    sog35 said:
    THE BAD
    2. Remote is still to symmetrical. Hard to tell orientation without looking

THIS! I always pick up the remote backwards.
    Stickers on the lower part will help, even in the dark.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    I've read quite a few reviews from online local papers to the major tech sites. I saw quite a few saying a negative is the lack of 4K Disney titles. I wish some of these reviewers would do a little research before they publish their reviews. There are only 2 4K Disney titles currently available. How on earth is missing 2 movies a negative? 
    hmurchison
  • Reply 30 of 34
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Most modern HD and 4K TVs have excellent smart TV functionality already built-in with all the streaming apps you could want with no compromise. You don't need a 4K Apple TV unless you've invested in a lot of iTunes movies or use iTunes as your main movie rental streaming service. As I do, mainly due to other such services in my part of the world offering limited choice. So if I upgrade to a 4K TV, I'll purchase one. In the mean time my current Apple TV3 serves my needs just fine.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    I've read quite a few reviews from online local papers to the major tech sites. I saw quite a few saying a negative is the lack of 4K Disney titles. I wish some of these reviewers would do a little research before they publish their reviews. There are only 2 4K Disney titles currently available. How on earth is missing 2 movies a negative? 
    My issue is less a pair of 4K movies, and more that the "failure" is being attributed to the Apple TV 4K itself, somehow.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    eightzero said:
    adm1 said:
    mike54 said:
    I'm probably the odd one here, but I have no interest in 4K, HDR, and I don't mind the controller. Try putting a raised sticker on the bottom half of remote, it gives it some colour, it looks better and you can feel which way the controller is. 
    Having several 4K capable TVs for a year or so now and viewed plenty 4K content via Amazon and Sky Q - it really does blow you away. Can't say either way on HDR yet as all my TVs are 8-bit, not full 10bit capable. It's overkill (4K) for your average TV soap viewing but in an Attenborough documentary for example, it's beautiful.
    It is. As with any tech though, deciding on its value is a very personal decision. 

I have no doubt there are many, many people that truthfully say: "I have an am radio, so I have no need for Apple Music, HomePods, AirPods, iPods, or any of that overpriced hooey." They save thousands of dollars.
    They save $0 unless they forgo any internet access or smartphone service.  If they do that then they can't read this anyway.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

eightzero said:
    <snip>

Yeah, blocked. Bye.

Lol...yes, that was amazingly silly.