AppleCare+ iPhone 8 back screen glass replacement $99, not screen repair cost of $29

Posted:
in iPhone
Users with AppleCare+ for the iPhone are accustomed to a relatively new $29 screen replacement from Apple -- but that only applies to the screen in the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, and not the back glass.

Disassemblies of the iPhone 8 family have shown a relatively simple disassembly process for a screen replacement. However, the back glass is retained with a significant quantity of glue and is essentially fused into the case assembly itself.

AppleInsider spoke with an assortment of Apple employees, with all of them confirming that a broken back-glass did not qualify for a $29 screen replacement. Instead, the back glass is generally subject to the $99 "other damage" fee, plus tax.

After two incidents of accidental damage a higher replacement cost is charged -- $349 for the iPhone 8, and $399 for the iPhone 8 Plus. Additionally, we were told that in some incidents that the "out of warranty" replacement cost would apply in cases of "mass destruction" of the rear case.

AppleCare+ extends Apple's limited warranty on the iPhone for an extra year, and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage for a nominal fee. Coverage for the iPhone 8 costs $129, with $149 for the iPhone 8 Plus. An AppleCare+ plan must be purchased alongside a device, or within 60 days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    We think this is bad, consider the screen replacement cost for the iPhone x ... 
  • Reply 2 of 27
    C'mon guys, they need the money...
  • Reply 3 of 27
    The back glass on iPhone 4/4S was $29 to replace. However, it was a simple job that took just a couple of minutes and was just the back, nothing else.

I'm curious to hear what the out of warranty cost to replace a display is on 8/8+/X.  I've owned iPhones since 2008 and have never broken the display and I don't use a case.  I'm just careful. So, to me, the only reason it would make sense to get AppleCare+ was for the liquid damage, but now that iPhones are water resistant it seems like an even tougher sell.

The last couple of years I've felt it isn't particularly worth it to purchase AC+ when you consider it costs $129 in the first place and then, formerly, it was $79 (maybe $99?) to replace the display (before the price drop to $29) when a display replacement without AC+ was $129.  AppleCare+ extends the 1 year warranty to 2 and gives 2 incidents of accidental damage covered by a deductible. Before the price drop to $29 it made much less sense to pay $129 for AC+ if you were worried about display damage. On a 6/6s/7 without AC+ it would cost $260 for 2 display replacements.  With AC+ it would be $129 initially and then $79 and another $79 for 2 display replacements for a total of $287.  How did that make sense at all?

Full disclosure: I'm on the iUP which includes AppleCare+ now, so I get it anyway.  Before iUP I only got AppleCare+ on my iPhone 6, never before that.  But I've gotten on my iPad Pros because 1) it costs less to purchase than it does for iPhones and 2) WUR is $59, that decision seems elementary.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Use. A. Case.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Use. A. Case.
    Nah.  Cases, to me, tend to be too bulky and sort of ugly.  I like the look and feel of an iPhone.  I still have and regularly use my iPhone 4, purchased on June 24, 2010 and I've never broken the screen or the back glass.  I'm simply careful with my phones.  Not crazy careful, I've dropped all of them at one point or another, but I've never had an issue other than some light scratches.

I also notice that people with cases seem to be less careful and more likely to drop their phone.  And guess what, I've also seen many many iPhones with broken screens that were in a case.  Granted, breaking the back glass while using a case is less likely than the display.  Just stop dropping iPhones.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    I thought front screen is more expensive and harder to replace than back. I understand $99 front and $29 back but not other way around.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    sog35 said:
    The back glass on iPhone 4/4S was $29 to replace. However, it was a simple job that took just a couple of minutes and was just the back, nothing else.

I'm curious to hear what the out of warranty cost to replace a display is on 8/8+/X.  I've owned iPhones since 2008 and have never broken the display and I don't use a case.  I'm just careful. So, to me, the only reason it would make sense to get AppleCare+ was for the liquid damage, but now that iPhones are water resistant it seems like an even tougher sell.

The last couple of years I've felt it isn't particularly worth it to purchase AC+ when you consider it costs $129 in the first place and then, formerly, it was $79 (maybe $99?) to replace the display (before the price drop to $29) when a display replacement without AC+ was $129.  AppleCare+ extends the 1 year warranty to 2 and gives 2 incidents of accidental damage covered by a deductible. Before the price drop to $29 it made much less sense to pay $129 for AC+ if you were worried about display damage. On a 6/6s/7 without AC+ it would cost $260 for 2 display replacements.  With AC+ it would be $129 initially and then $79 and another $79 for 2 display replacements for a total of $287.  How did that make sense at all?

Full disclosure: I'm on the iUP which includes AppleCare+ now, so I get it anyway.  Before iUP I only got AppleCare+ on my iPhone 6, never before that.  But I've gotten on my iPad Pros because 1) it costs less to purchase than it does for iPhones and 2) WUR is $59, that decision seems elementary.
    I've done similiar math and came to the same conclusion = Apple Care not worth it.

Now if I had a history of dropping stuff, maybe.

I did the same calculation with buying a case. Same deal. Its not worth $50 to buy a case each year.  This is the 5th year I've had an iPhone without a case or Apple care and have not gotten a cracked screen yet.
    The thing is...shit happens and you never know when you might drop it, even if you are extremely careful. While yes its a pretty phone, I find my 6s impossible to use without a case because aluminum is EXTREMELY slippery. The phone slips out of my hands very easily and I'm not a klutz either. I have the same issue with the AppleTV remote for the same reason. The aluminum is too slippery. 

I'd be interested to see later today when I get my 8+ how slippery it is with the glass backing. I'd still use a case though. I always just use Apple's cases and it doesn't make the phone look ugly IMO. The case matches my Apple Watch band so I think thats cool. Plus, I don't need to show off my fancy phone. Everyone and their brother has one so its not like you have something different from everyone else in the grand scheme of things. I'd rather not draw attention to myself like that. 

IMO, thats the entire point of AppleCare+. Cracking the back of the phone is accidental which is covered under the $99 deductible. Why would anyone think the back should be $29 too? Apple wouldn't fix any other phone for less than $99 for anything other than the screen. I know this won't be a popular comment, but I think anyone bitching here is missing the point of AppleCare+. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    wood1208 said:
    I thought front screen is more expensive and harder to replace than back. I understand $99 front and $29 back but not other way around.
    The front screen is a 20-minute job. If you're going to replace the back glass, there's no easy way to get it off the case material, and you basically have to strip the phone apart.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    wood1208 said:
    The problem with that is that no one will buy AppleCare+ based on being able to replace the back panel for just $29. The front panel, i.e. the screen, being only $29 to replace is a much better proposition for the consumer.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:

I've done similiar math and came to the same conclusion = Apple Care not worth it.

I did the same calculation with buying a case. Same deal. Its not worth $50 to buy a case each year.  This is the 5th year I've had an iPhone without a case or Apple care and have not gotten a cracked screen yet.
    The thing is...shit happens and you never know when you might drop it, even if you are extremely careful. While yes its a pretty phone, I find my 6s impossible to use without a case because aluminum is EXTREMELY slippery. The phone slips out of my hands very easily and I'm not a klutz either. I have the same issue with the AppleTV remote for the same reason. The aluminum is too slippery. 

I'd be interested to see later today when I get my 8+ how slippery it is with the glass backing. I'd still use a case though. I always just use Apple's cases and it doesn't make the phone look ugly IMO. The case matches my Apple Watch band so I think thats cool. Plus, I don't need to show off my fancy phone. Everyone and their brother has one so its not like you have something different from everyone else in the grand scheme of things. I'd rather not draw attention to myself like that. 

IMO, thats the entire point of AppleCare+. Cracking the back of the phone is accidental which is covered under the $99 deductible. Why would anyone think the back should be $29 too? Apple wouldn't fix any other phone for less than $99 for anything other than the screen. I know this won't be a popular comment, but I think anyone bitching here is missing the point of AppleCare+. 
    Yes shit does happen. But I guess I'm just super careful with my phone.

I've dropped my phone a grand total of 2 times in the last 5 years.

its like holding a baby. I'm just really careful.

My daughter had her 7 setting on the counter top while she was cooking when she went to get something out of the cabinet the salt shaker fell and broke the front screen on it she had to pay to get it replaced we had Verizon insurance but going through them is impossible so we canceled that when Apple let you get AppleCare+ up to a year from buying it. Now we will never be without it for her as for me and my ex we don't carry it...

• Reply 11 of 27
    Users with AppleCare+ for the iPhone are accustomed to a relatively new $29 screen replacement from Apple -- but that only applies to the screen in the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, and not the back glass.

Isn't that obvious, though? It's $29 for "screen replacement", not "$29 for any bit of glass to be replaced, even the back bit - which isn't a screen."
    macxpress
  • Reply 12 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    sog35 said:

I think it’s time for you to seriously consider abandoning the platform. It’s not worth the agony and anger it causes you. It’s only a thing after all and Apple is just a big corporation. Not worth the rise in blood pressure and stress.
    apple2c
  • Reply 13 of 27
    sog35 said:
    Use. A. Case.
    That is ridiculous.

We spend big $$$ to get the most beautiful phones on the planet, and then we are forced to cover it with an ugly case.

No thank you.

This is like expecting someone who bought a Ferrari to cover the entire car with a protective case. 
    I am so with sog35. Until the latest iPhones was released, it was all talk about the glass back and how beautiful it is, etc. But, if people have to encase it, what difference does it make, it could be butt ugly unpolished aluminum, because we are just going to cover it up with a case. It is sad that AppleCare+ is charging ridiculous amount for the replacement. Yes, people might get careless as it would be cheaper replacement if you have AC+. Maybe the middle ground is that they have 1 incident/year free and subsequent fixes would cost money.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    I have already seen see trough cases that even add to the beauty of the phone...
  • Reply 15 of 27
    sog35 said:
    mwhite said:
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:

My daughter had her 7 setting on the counter top while she was cooking when she went to get something out of the cabinet the salt shaker fell and broke the front screen on it she had to pay to get it replaced we had Verizon insurance but going through them is impossible so we canceled that when Apple let you get AppleCare+ up to a year from buying it. Now we will never be without it for her as for me and my ex we don't carry it...

But how much does it cost to repair the screen without Apple Care?  I think it was $79 last year.

So you would have had to crack your screen 2 or 3 times just for Apple Care to be worth the price.
    AppleCare+ covers more than just cracked screens. You're forgetting about that. So yes...its still worth the price. 

Extended warranties are always debatable no matter what it is. Its a game of Russian roulette. Do you want to take the chance nothing will happen, or do you just want the comfort of knowing when shit does happen its covered? You could say the same thing about extended warranties on cars...even factory backed ones. Some think its a waste of money, some think its a waste of money and wish they bought it in the end, and some just plain think its always worth the money. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 16 of 27
    sog35 said:
    mwhite said:
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:

But how much does it cost to repair the screen without Apple Care?  I think it was $79 last year.

So you would have had to crack your screen 2 or 3 times just for Apple Care to be worth the price.
    Without AppleCare+ a display replacement on a 7 is $129 and $149 (I think, possibly $159) on a 7+.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    sog35 said:
    mwhite said:
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:

Yes it was $79 to fix it. But she isn't very careful with her phone she has dropped it down an elevator shaft which was lucky it didn't break the screen...
  • Reply 18 of 27
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    mwhite said:
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:

So yes...its still worth the price. 
    To you it's worth the price, to others not, as you mentioned.  I understand using the car warranty comparison but it isn't exactly the same.  Worst case I can get a WUR for usually in the $300-350 range if I destroy my iPhone, it's basically half the cost or less than buying an entirely new iPhone.  There is nothing like that in the car world.

And as I mentioned, I've owned iPhones since early 2008 starting with the original. 5 of them I didn't get AppleCare+ on and I never had an incident where I would have had to use it.  That's around $500-$600 I didn't spend on AppleCare+ for no reason.  And now there's even less of a reason, considering water resistance.  The most common iPhone repair is broken display, liquid damage is up there but not even close to display damage.  Displays are damaged most of the time due to drops.  If people stopped dropping their phones there would be significantly less display repairs.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    RacerhomieXRacerhomieX Posts: 95unconfirmed, member
    sog35 said:
    Wow.

This is total BULLSHIT.

This might be the year I might finally have to use a case. 

AppleCare?  More like Apple Profits.

Dude, its insurance. Thats HOW they make money. Do you want government regulating this too like health insurance, because making money is Evil!!
  • Reply 20 of 27
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    mwhite said:
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:

AppleCare+ covers more than just cracked screens. You're forgetting about that. So yes...its still worth the price. 

Extended warranties are always debatable no matter what it is. Its a game of Russian roulette. Do you want to take the chance nothing will happen, or do you just want the comfort of knowing when shit does happen its covered? You could say the same thing about extended warranties on cars...even factory backed ones. Some think its a waste of money, some think its a waste of money and wish they bought it in the end, and some just plain think its always worth the money. 
    IMO, AppleCare is like buying an extended warranty on a Toyota.

The reason you buy a Toyota is because of their reliability. You pay EXTRA for that reliability. Thus why would I pay EVEN more money for an extended warranty?  It would make sense to get an extended warranty on Cars that are NOT reliable.

Same with Apple products.  I'm already paying EXTRA for the reliability and quality of Apple products. Why would I spend MORE for more protection?

Over the last 10 years I've purchased iPhones, iPads, AppleTV's, Mac's, iPods, Airports, and Apple Watches.  None of them needed repairs beyond the free warranty period.

On average, buying AppleCare is a losing proposition for the consumer.  AppleCare is not a non-profit charity program. Its a money maker for Apple. And we all know Apple makes huge margins on the products they sell.
    My MacBook stopped working after 13 months. One month past the warranty Apple gives. I understand statistics. Unhappy I am, nonetheless...