Apple addresses ad industry complaints over Safari tracking prevention feature

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    cgWerks said:
    re: Canada's #1 TV network - probably, again, a mixture of lazy - and since it's gov't/public supported - they might just not care.
    Actually Canada's public broadcaster is not #1, as much as it pains its fans. The network with Flash videos on its web site is private sector and not publicly funded.
  • Reply 62 of 66
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    cgWerks said:
    re: Canada's #1 TV network - probably, again, a mixture of lazy - and since it's gov't/public supported - they might just not care.
    Actually Canada's public broadcaster is not #1, as much as it pains its fans. The network with Flash videos on its web site is private sector and not publicly funded.
    Wow, just really lost in yesterday-land, I guess. Amazing.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    georgie01 said:
    sog35 said:
    You cannot worry about consequences when you do the right thing.

There are hundreds of thousands of political prisoners around the world who agree with you.
    That response is exactly why our culture accepts all of the crap that it does—very few are willing to endure personal loss or hardship to gain something better. We will complain about the incoming crap but don't really do much about it, and those pushing the crap keep pushing until we're semi-used to it. Then the crap-pushers weasel themselves into a position where we'd have to endure loss in order to get rid of the crap, or alternatively, the truly expert crap-pushers try to make people feel like they're deficient or evil if they don't accept the crap. The most insane part is that if people really would accept loss, especially early on in the fight, they would probably get their way.
    If I could Like this post 100x, I would!!! THIS is something most people in today's modern culture simply don't get, and because of their complacent attitudes, allow to happen, and then inflict it on the masses...
    Absolutely agree. 

And for the 1000th time, it's not about ads, it's about behavioral profiles completely permeating through every aspect of our society.

People are too lazy and selfish to give up any tiny conveniences, so here we are.
  • Reply 64 of 66
    blah64 said:
    People are too lazy and selfish to give up any tiny conveniences, so here we are.
    I think you're mistaken. I think most people are just blissfully unaware of what's going on.

In my case, I'm knowingly selling my privacy for profit. In exchange for information on my browsing habits I get free access to YouTube, Google search, Apple Insider, and various other services and sites .

I'm not lazy and selfish, I'm lazy and CHEAP. If you want me to stop willingly giving up my privacy you have to find some other way for the providers of those sites and services to get paid.
  • Reply 65 of 66
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    blah64 said:
    I think you're mistaken. I think most people are just blissfully unaware of what's going on.
    I'd agree there, and not just in terms of Internet content and services. (cf. Neil Postman's Amusing Ourselves to Death)

The problem is what is going to eventually be the result. There's a lot more at stake here than analyzing shopping habits and suggesting products.