AppleInsider podcast gives first user impressions of iPhone 8, 8 Plus

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2017
In this special episode of the AppleInsider Podcast, Daniel Eran Dilger joins Victor to talk about his experiences now that he's had the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus in his hands for a few days.

AppleInsider editors Daniel Eran Dilger and Victor Marks discuss:
  • iPhone 8 and what it's like as an iPhone
  • Whether or not it should be thought of as obsoleted by the iPhone X
  • Who should buy it, and what's Dan buying?
  • What's our thoughts on the Apple Watch LTE early reviews
  • A bit of commentary on the changes in Control Center
  • and a PSA on how to turn on shared iCloud storage for family accounts
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:

Show note links: Follow our hosts on Twitter: @danieleran and @vmarks.

Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Damn You Apple!
    ... I can think of excellent reasons to buy every single phone that you sell!

Life used to be simple:  flip phone or brick?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Excellent, as usual. Really enjoy Daniel's 'historical context.' He brings a lot to the discussion. 

Best.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    re: control center - When I press those buttons, I expect them to do what they are supposed to do, not some quasi-Apple-idea-of-what-to-do-ala-M$-dancing-paperclip era. If I turn on Airport, the device should not emit or receive any RF signals. If I turn off WiFi, the WiFi chip should be off, same with BT.

I don't use AirDrop or Handoff, and haven't really figured out why I would.... but when the device is in those modes, it's *supposed* to be out of touch with those features, because I've turned them OFF.

This is one of the most ridiculous UI/UX moves I've heard for a while. It's kind of anti-UI. This smacks of Apple now thinking they are smarter than the user, and can decide what they think the user intended to do, instead of what they really wanted to do, and the features start getting in the way. That's why the dancing paperclip is so hated. But, I suppose all the noobs at Apple are not not even old enough to remember.... and they probably haven't bothered to blow the dust off Apple's UI research in decades.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 4 of 6
    cgWerks said:
    re: control center - When I press those buttons, I expect them to do what they are supposed to do, not some quasi-Apple-idea-of-what-to-do-ala-M$-dancing-paperclip era. If I turn on Airport, the device should not emit or receive any RF signals. If I turn off WiFi, the WiFi chip should be off, same with BT.

I don't use AirDrop or Handoff, and haven't really figured out why I would.... but when the device is in those modes, it's *supposed* to be out of touch with those features, because I've turned them OFF.

This is one of the most ridiculous UI/UX moves I've heard for a while. It's kind of anti-UI. This smacks of Apple now thinking they are smarter than the user, and can decide what they think the user intended to do, instead of what they really wanted to do, and the features start getting in the way. That's why the dancing paperclip is so hated. But, I suppose all the noobs at Apple are not not even old enough to remember.... and they probably haven't bothered to blow the dust off Apple's UI research in decades.
    Chillax, bro...like everything Apple does (w/ a few exceptions), you'll get used to it! Life's good! :)

Best
  • Reply 5 of 6
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    christopher126 said:
    Chillax, bro...like everything Apple does (w/ a few exceptions), you'll get used to it! Life's good! :)
    Yea, I guess so. Settings --> WiFi --> On/Off etc. Apple giveth, Apple taketh away.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I have listened to this podcast a very long time, and really enjoy it a lot, but this was the first one ever I turned off and will never finish. I am a huge Apple fan, and love the products. At some point though we have to acknowledge the competition, and there is quality there as well. I felt that Daniel’s insight was very strong fanboyism, and I was really getting tired of him trashing everything that was not Apple. I understand that he and most Apple users think the Apple product is better, but it gets really old hearing how bad the competitor is over and Over. The last straw was his comments on buying the iPhone X. His assumption that “anyone who cares about technology” will be getting an iPhone was enough. I love tech and I love Apple, but I am not assuming every Apple tech fan is getting the iPhone X. I am sorry, but that was extremely off putting and if he is ever on the podcast again, I won’t be listening. I don’t believe his narrow views should be express here.