Thumbnails missing in Files (iCloud) app in iOS11 on iPad Pro 12.9 2015

Posted:
in iCloud
I just installed iOS 11 on my iPad Pro 12.9 (2015) and it has been great. But one area that has been frustrating is the Files App. I love the basic idea of it (partial file-like system on the iPad that consolidates files for iCloud, Dropbox, et.) but since installing iOS11 all my thumbnails for jpegs, PDF’s, videos and even Pages documents are gone when I open the App. Even the preview icon you see on front of the folders in iCloud Drive are removed leaving just a blue folder.

The actual files open fine when I tap on them. Just no previews.

Then sometimes the icons and thumbnails will partially reappear out of nowhere only to disappear minutes later.

They do return if I do a hard reboot - but that is not a good solution.

I should say iCloud on my iMac has no issues with these same files. Also, I have checked all my iCloud settings on both my MAC and iPad and all is the same as a week ago when this was not an issue.

It might not sound really important but it makes it really difficult to try and find files this way. iCloud Drive on iOS10 did not seem to have this problem.

I read it might be an Apple server issue as Dropbox still has thumbnails. Or a bug in iOS 11. But I’m not that knowledgeable on stuff like this and was wondering what might be going on or if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks.
levinchin

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Hey there, I was having the same issue and restarting pushed the thumbnails to load. Time will tell if it sticks but I wasn’t able to find anything about this online either, so I hope it helps you!
    levinchin
  • Reply 2 of 3
    pattytime said:
    Hey there, I was having the same issue and restarting pushed the thumbnails to load. Time will tell if it sticks but I wasn’t able to find anything about this online either, so I hope it helps you!
    Hi,

Thanks for letting me know! It does help actually. With others having it, it seems more likely to be software/server related. Hopefully.
    It’s unfortunate we can’t find much info on this issue, but I hope a future iOS11 update will fix the problem. As you said, time will tell.

edited September 2017 levinchin
  • Reply 3 of 3
    levinchinlevinchin Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Same problem. I suspect it’s a memory management issue? Very bothersome as I use iCloud Drive to share photos to my phone. Now I have to go into each file to see what it is?!