Singapore government to trial Apple Pay for public transport in 2018

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2017
A small number of commuters in Singapore will soon be able to use their iPhone or Apple Watch to pay for train and bus rides, as the country's Land Transit Authority plans to launch a pilot program involving Apple Pay in 2018.

Announced by the LTA earlier this month, the upcoming addition is an extension of the agency's account-based ticketing (ABT) trial program rolled out in cooperation with Mastercard, a longtime Apple Pay partner.

Launched in March, the ABT pilot looks to streamline the public transportation ticketing process by building in support for contactless forms of payment, specifically EMV credit and debit cards. The more than 100,000 commuters who signed up to test the program drive an average of over 60,000 transactions per day, the LTA said.

With the forthcoming addition, which also extends the ABT pilot past its originally planned six month duration, the LTA intends to evaluate the effectiveness of smartphone-based touchless payment systems. Along with Apple Pay, commuters will be able to make payments using Android Pay and Samsung Pay starting in the first quarter of 2018.

"LTA is excited to enable commuters to enjoy the convenience brought by e-payments in public transport," said Ngien Hoon Ping, CEO of LTA. "Together with our partners, we aim for the ABT pilot extension, expansion and eventually permanent roll-out to be the basis of our shift towards commuter-centric e-payments."

Those interested in signing up to participate in the program can do so via the TransitLink ABT ticketing portal.

The Singapore transit solution is similar to Apple Pay's Japan debut. When the payment system launched in that country last year, one of the most widely publicized use cases was Suica, a rechargeable transit card marketed by JR East.

Other major metropolitan cities are also looking into smartphone-based tap-to-pay solutions like Apple Pay, most notably New York's MTA, which plans to roll out an integrated system by mid-2018.

Apple is continually building out its fledgling payments initiative, most recently integrating global FeliCa support into iPhone 8, iPhone X and Apple Watch Series 3 devices. Previously, only iPhone 7 and Apple Watch Series 2 devices sold in Japan were able to conduct FeliCa transactions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    I’d really like that for NYC. 
    lostkiwiGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 10
    "to trial" that's a weird turn of phrase.

Singapore Government to run Apple pay trial for public transport
    or
    Singapore Government to run pilot program using Apple pay on public transport.

both sound better.
    mizhouJinTech
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Been available in !ondon since day one of Apple Pay. No trial. It just worked.
    GeorgeBMaclostkiwijbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 10
    In London, how quickly does the system accept Apple Pay?

In the US I use Apple Pay daily in retail situations, but I’ve wondered whether the slight delay in approving a payment (maybe 2 seconds) would frustrate commuters who are used to dashing through a turnstile with almost zero delay?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    In the Netherlands they tried this Android only and to my amusement it has been a nightmare. The Android app did not work at all.
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I’m wondering when this will become a thing in the US. 
  • Reply 7 of 10
    designr said:
    foggyhill said:
    "to trial" that's a weird turn of phrase.

Singapore Government to run Apple pay trial for public transport
    or
    Singapore Government to run pilot program using Apple pay on public transport.

both sound better.
    Maybe. The word "trial" is can be used as a verb synonymous with "test". Maybe I've just heard it used that way ("to trial") more. Plus sometimes, with headlines, they're trying to economize how many words they're using.
    I "got" what they were they were going for, but it still is a use I don't see often if ever (the verbal form). I've been involved in "trials".

I looked  up the definition and "trial" as a verb is the third use of the word, after the noun (most used), adjective (second most used).
    Even in its verbal form its not used in the "to trial" version, but in the conjugated form.
    Even in titles, you try to use words will actually recognize and not confuse, especially important for SEO;
    trial used as a verb is not what I would use but hey it is not my web site.

My title would be

Apple Pay trial coming soon to Singapore public transport

(short, clear, it has Apple up front for max click baitness, the info about government is not title worthy, not putting the year gets you more lick usually,.

• Reply 8 of 10
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    These take time, and supporting Apple Pay was never going to be a overnight thing.  But it's slowly spreading.  Everyone wishes it was faster, but it's about what I expected.  Give it another 10 years and it'll be the norm.

• Reply 9 of 10
    In London, how quickly does the system accept Apple Pay?

In the US I use Apple Pay daily in retail situations, but I’ve wondered whether the slight delay in approving a payment (maybe 2 seconds) would frustrate commuters who are used to dashing through a turnstile with almost zero delay?

I ditched my Oyster card and rely exclusively on Apple Pay when visiting London. I use my phone and my wife uses her watch. I use Touch ID to open Apple Pay when approaching the turnstile so I don't have to mess with it at the last second. That is likely to irritate the people behind you. There is a slight delay when holding my phone to the reader but it is less than one second and barely longer than using other contactless cards.