Video: First look at new Apple TV 4K with HDR

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
The new Apple TV 4K offers ultra-high resolution streaming from services like iTunes and Netflix, as well as access to apps and games on the tvOS App Store. AppleInsider offers a closer look at the new set-top streaming box.

For more reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Is a fan inside confirmed when you say "fan vents"? 

Really curious how high A10X could clock with active cooling 
  • Reply 2 of 9
    tipoo said:

We'll never find out how fast the A10X will go because Apple will probably never put a fan on any A-series processor and even if it ends up in a laptop, Apple will still go fanless just to say it's completely silent. Apple will never push any A-series processor to its limits because that's just how Apple is.
    SoliAvieshek
  • Reply 3 of 9
    tipoo said:

We'll never find out how fast the A10X will go because Apple will probably never put a fan on any A-series processor and even if it ends up in a laptop, Apple will still go fanless just to say it's completely silent. Apple will never push any A-series processor to its limits because that's just how Apple is.

I mean, he said fan vents in this video, and that's on an A10X. Just waiting on confirmation. 

• Reply 4 of 9
    Including vents doesn't necessarily mean it needs a fan. More likely, it's just a passive way to improve dissipation with an always-plugged-in A10X for the Apple TV form factor and materials.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Bravo for not including a clickbait title or having the thumbnail be the host with a stupid look on his face and bash Apple.

It’s frustrating though that no one mentions gaming on these reviews. I wanna know how it’s graphics compare to the big boys.
    Maybe I’m taking the gaming part more serious than Apple is and maybe that’s why no one cares, because Apple doesn’t?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    cali said:
    It’s frustrating though that no one mentions gaming on these reviews. I wanna know how it’s graphics compare to the big boys.
    Maybe I’m taking the gaming part more serious than Apple is and maybe that’s why no one cares, because Apple doesn’t?
    They certainly care more than Roku or Amazon, and the Shield is mainly for people who want to stream from a gaming PC. It's definitely surprising how little mention both games and apps get mentioned when it comes to ATV 4/5. I could understand that being downplayed a bit in 2015 when it was brand new, but now? That's actually a huge advantage vs. Roku/Amazon.

As for the A10X graphic performance vs. consoles, I think you can safely say it's comfortably ahead of the Switch, but not as powerful as the original PS4/XB1. Metal 2 is the wild card though, as it's performance efficiency is significantly improved vs. the original Metal. Probably the biggest difference for games would really be the RAM, with the ATV 5 having 3GB vs. 8GB for the PS4/XB1. 
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Is it still weird that you cannot recharge the remote from the Apple TV, or did that turn out to be a non-issue?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    The biggest issue for me is the lack of auto switching between native resolutions, and making manual switching difficult to do. I don't particularly want fake HDR applied to every source I watch.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Including vents doesn't necessarily mean it needs a fan. More likely, it's just a passive way to improve dissipation with an always-plugged-in A10X for the Apple TV form factor and materials.
    That's why I was waiting on confirmation on the phrasing, and here it is, there's a big honkin fan 

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+TV+4K+Teardown/97511