Apple premieres new promo video, '8 things to love about iPhone 8'

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Friday released a new video ad, "8 things to love about iPhone 8," looking to hook viewers on its latest smartphone, shipping today.

The eight points in the video include things like wireless charging, Portrait Lighting, augmented reality, "the most durable glass ever in a smartphone," and "the most powerful and smartest chip ever in a smartphone," the A11 Bionic. The clip uses unusually aggressive editing and music, including the song "Namesake" by Tunde Olaniran.

The commercial is part of a multi-pronged publicity blitz, including traditional ads and executive interviews. In a CNBC interview Tim Cook appeared at an Apple store, saying that both the iPhone 8 and the Apple Watch Series 3 are encountering regional sellouts -- meaning that stock may still be available in some places.

Sales have been comparatively muted next to previous iPhone launches, likely because many people are waiting for the iPhone X, which goes up for preorder Oct. 27 and ships Nov. 3. That device will feature technologies like an edge-to-edge OLED display and Face ID, completely abandoning a home button and Touch ID.

It will also cost at least $999 however, and may be in short supply given rumors of a late production start. Apple has never before shipped a new iPhone in November.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    9. Proven design with reasonably well known reliability & repairability expectations
    10. Familiar ergonomics (hand fit & balance, pocket fit, purse fit, finger swipes & gestures, etc.)
    11. Performance that crushes every Android phone on the planet
    12. Less showy & look-at-me (i.e., lower conspicuous consumption index) 
    13. No "1.0 product anxiety" (i.e., you are not a crash test dummy for a bleeding edge product)
    14. Knowing that a year from now the second X-phone release will shame the original version

edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Idea: make an iPhone 8/8+ case that has a vertical lens array on it and a notch covering up part of the screen. People will then be able to look like they have a iPhoneX.

• Reply 3 of 10
    15. ARKit will be the one thing everyone will want their smart phone to do in the future...
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Fantastic ad. Does a great job summarizing the improvements and advantages.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    9. The number 8 looks like an infinity symbol. Infinite Loop.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    15. ARKit will be the one thing everyone will want their smart phone to do in the future...
    ARKit works on devices back to the 6S though. 
  • Reply 7 of 10
    sog35 said

14. Not sure.  The 6s didn't really shame the 6.
    But it had better cameras on both front and rear, live photos, faster processor, more ram, better grade aluminium case and 3D touch. No shame in having the 6, but the 6s is a better phone.
    edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member

That's not even a thing unless you're one of those types that worry about what others think. Fuck them. It's not their money. 

The X isn't showy, unless you count that beautiful stainless steel band and brilliant screen. AND worry about what others think. Fuck them. It's not their money.

14. Knowing that a year from now the second X-phone release will shame the original version

Bullshit. If you're happy with the phone and it works for you, then any 'shame' comes from the imaginations of shallow, small-brained 'thinkers'.

• Reply 9 of 10
    "Sales have been comparatively muted."

Apple has been mute so far about its sales numbers, so yeah. Muted.