Apple releases macOS 10.13 High Sierra with APFS, Metal 2, new Safari, Photos improvements...

Posted:
in macOS edited September 2017
High Sierra has arrived for all users, and brings the Apple File System to the Mac for the first time, while introducing support for a variety of other standards such as HEVC video, HEIF image encoding, and Apple's Metal 2 graphics platform supporting technology like external GPUs.

macOS 10.13 High Sierra is now available as a free download from the Mac App Store. Here's what you can expect to find once you install it.

The Gold Master candidate was build number 17a362a. The full release is 17a365, indicating some changes have been made since the last beta release earlier in the month.

Safari

In general, Apple's browser is now faster and consumes less power than previous versions. Specifically, Apple claims that the new version of Safari is 80 percent better performance on modern JavaScript.

Other additions to Safari include blocking of auto-play videos, Intelligent Tracking Prevention using machine learning to identify trackers and segregate cross-site traffic monitors.

Safari has drawn the ire of the advertising industry. Six ad industry organizations complain that Safari's Intelligent Tracking Prevention will not only hurt them, but the public as well -- but Apple disagrees.

Photos

Photos has a new view, including a chronological display, and new filtration mechanisms. Metadata, including image categorization performed by machine learning routines, are automatically synchronized across devices.

New editing tools have been added, including selective color modification, curve changes, and all edits synchronized from Photoshop or Pixelmator back to the photo library.

Apple has also opened up its printed photos to third parties -- but still hasn't shared much information on it since it was discussed during the 2017 WWDC

APFS in macOS

Apple File System, or APFS, was designed with all of Apple's platforms in mind, scaling from watchOS to iOS and tvOS to macOS, and taking advantage of the fact that most of the company's products are now using Flash or SSD storage. It also was built with encryption and the security it provides to users as a primary underpinning of the technology.

After a difficult beta process, with the feature not supported on "some" drives, APFS will not be initially supported on Fusion Drives such as those commonly found in the iMac. It is unclear precisely when it will be implemented.

Migration of H.264 to H.265/HEVC

Citing the wider adoption of 4K and HDR videography, Apple has added support to macOS for H.265 and HEVC. All High Sierra-compatible machines will support the codec, some in software, and some in hardware.

Metal

Metal 2 includes driver optimizations, and apple claims that it brings up to a 10 times better draw call throughput. More debugging tools are now available, and the Mac Window Server has been migrated to Metal as well to enhance performance of the system-wide animations.

Metal 2 will ultimately bring the ability to use Thunderbolt 3 external enclosures for high performance video cards officially in macOS. However, the feature will only be added to the operating system at some point in the spring of 2018.

Compatibility

Regarding hardware, Apple has not put any more limits on High Sierra than already existed on Sierra. However, High Sierra is the last version of macOS to support 32-bit apps "without compromises."

In conjunction with announcing High Sierra over the summer, Apple has declared that in January 2018, all new apps submitted to the Mac App Store are required to be 64-bit. The noose tightens a bit in the summer of 2018, with all app updates needing to comply with the mandate.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 97
    How do I update from 17A362a to 17a365? I tuned off Beta releases on the App Store, and checked for updates and there are none.
  • Reply 2 of 97
    I'm totally torn between wanting to upgrade now, or waiting to hear feedback, and the first update. I've been bitten once before. 
    pscooter63argonautspace2001jony0
  • Reply 3 of 97
    rocaweb said:
    How do I update from 17A362a to 17a365? I tuned off Beta releases on the App Store, and checked for updates and there are none.
    Search "High Sierra" from within the Search box.
  • Reply 4 of 97
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    rocaweb said:
    Direct link to the app store. This should do it for you.

Soli
  • Reply 5 of 97
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    rocaweb said:
    Apple usually phases the release across the country (world) so their update servers aren't hammered. I don't have the beta version and it's not showing on my two Macs yet. Give it time and it will show up. If you're impatient, you can try the direct download mentioned by Mike but be prepared for a slow download.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 97
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    No VP9? Total failure!
    Solipscooter63argonautJanNLStrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 97
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    jibberj said:
    I'm totally torn between wanting to upgrade now, or waiting to hear feedback, and the first update. I've been bitten once before. 
    WAIT!

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, JIM! WAIT!
    MacProargonautjibberjking editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 97
    Does Aperture still work?
  • Reply 9 of 97
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    jeff_cook said:
    It ran during the beta. Haven't tried on the latest build yet.

That said, many of Apple's older pro-level apps don't work in HS anymore. The day is coming that Aperture will stop functioning.
  • Reply 10 of 97
    Does anyone here have experience of updating from Sierra, using FileVault, to High Sierra which apparently does not have any FileVault since encryption is included from the get-go?
    space2001
  • Reply 11 of 97
    downloading 😁
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 97
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    Even during downloading Safari feels already snappier  :p
    jpellinogtrwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 13 of 97
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jeff_cook said:
    Yes.  But newer cameras may not have RAW support.  Simple work around is to run a batch conversion to .DNG and Aperture imports them fine as RAW.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 14 of 97
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    jeff_cook said:

That said, many of Apple's older pro-level apps don't work in HS anymore. The day is coming that Aperture will stop functioning.
    Still use it every day, also in the Golden Master. Works fine.
    Will let you know in 30 minutes.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 97
    Apple servers do not appear to be straining, ate least not that much. I have 10 Mbps downlink (I know, not impressive, but quite good by local standards) and I am downloading the payload at that rate!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 97
    jeff_cook said:

I'm hoping that Gentlemencoders steps it up such that there is more complete Aperture replacement when that day actual comes. I'll hold out as long as I can with the last OS and HW version that supports that OS.
    edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 97
    jeff_cook said:
    jeff_cook said:

I'm hoping that Gentlemencoders steps it up such that there is more complete Aperture replacement when that day actual comes. I'll hold out as long as I can with the last OS and HW version that supports that OS.
    Just a question because I really don't know...is there anything Aperture does that Photos inside macOS doesn't? Last I know, Apple just said to use Photos as a replacement to Aperture. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 97
    jibberj said:

I have to agree, when you mess with the underlying file system you are asking for in foreseen problems. Such as if you have extremal drives with old files on them. I gone through Apple file system changes and ran into problem, also the fact they now encrypting at the file system level can also cause problems. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 97
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    jahaja said:
    Does anyone here have experience of updating from Sierra, using FileVault, to High Sierra which apparently does not have any FileVault since encryption is included from the get-go?
    High Sierra does not format SSD's with encryption by default, at least not during the beta releases. To make sure nothing messed up on my MBP, I turned FV off a couple days ago. Once HS shows up I'll go ahead and install it, seeing if it gives me the option to run APFS+encrypted. If not, I'll turn encryption on while booting from an external drive. I've run beta versions of HS with encryption and it takes awhile (just like FV) to encrypt the entire disk.

Remember, if you are running a Fusion drive and maybe a HDD, it won't give you the option to format as APFS. I'd check Apple's website to see what they say about updating to an existing FV-encryption drive if you're not running a SSD. 
    edited September 2017 jahajawatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 97
    jeff_cook said:

I know:-( I have tried to like LightRoom and it simply does not match my work flow at all. Nice conversion but the work flow is simply horrid IMO.