Apple releases macOS 10.13 High Sierra with APFS, Metal 2, new Safari, Photos improvements...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 97
    NM.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 42 of 97
    melgross said:
    I don’t get what the rush is for some people here. It’s much better to wait at least a couple of days. Do you guys really need to feel as though you’re first? Is this like posting “first” with no other content?
    what you hope to accomplish with this post? 
    StrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 43 of 97
    melgross said:
    steven n. said:
    jeff_cook said:
    Does Aperture still work?
    It ran during the beta. Haven't tried on the latest build yet.

That said, many of Apple's older pro-level apps don't work in HS anymore. The day is coming that Aperture will stop functioning.
    I know:-( I have tried to like LightRoom and it simply does not match my work flow at all. Nice conversion but the work flow is simply horrid IMO.
    Well, you’re going to have to make the change at some point. Aperture was never equal to Lightroom as far as IQ was concerned. It’s far behind now.
    I think you mean the Apple RAW engine is behind in your opinion, since Aperture just uses the OS provided engine.  Its nice to have the IQ updated every time the OS engine gets an update, even though Aperture has not been updated in years.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 44 of 97

JanNL said:
    jeff_cook said:
    As promised (ok, not within 30 minutes...download took 3 but installing about 30) an update.
    Aperture works (the same) as in Sierra and the bètas of High Sierra.
    Thanks Jan.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 97
    dougd said:
    Only a fool would upgrade now. Wait at least six months
    Only a fool would wait six months if he has his data properly redundant. 
    magman1979watto_cobrawillcropoint
  • Reply 46 of 97
    OK, installed and humming along, and my verdict after 30 minutes?

THIS THING IS FAST!!!!!!

StrangeDayswatto_cobraedredjohn_l_uk
  • Reply 47 of 97
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    melgross said:
    I don’t get what the rush is for some people here. It’s much better to wait at least a couple of days. Do you guys really need to feel as though you’re first? Is this like posting “first” with no other content?
    Because playing with a new OS is great fun for nerds? That's not complicated.

I do wish they had launched on Friday. I can afford a bit of downtime over the weekend…

troberts said:
    Just my luck. The day I decide to update to macOS Sierra before macOS High Sierra is released and hope EVE Online still works at least as well as it does now on OS X El Capitan, macOS High Sierra gets released.

Is there a way to get macOS Sierra? If my hard drive failed or I swapped it for an SSD and I wanted to stay on macOS Sierra, I would think there is a way to do it.

You could use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your existing HD to an external HD or SSD, upgrade your internal to High Sierra, and boot to the external device using Target Mode. (also, yes, you can get Sierra and many older releases off the app store. Google "make Sierra install USB" for downloading instructions.)
    And those very same nerds, though it’s not really the nerds who do that, but fanboys and firster braggers, will also be the very first to complain when they have an issue that gets fixed three days after the release, that screws something up that they don’t know how to fix.
    waverboy
  • Reply 48 of 97

melgross said:
    Nice straw man you've constructed there.

No, it's just about not being afraid of new things, secure in the knowledge that my data is redundant. Why would I wait a few days when I can start adding value today? Strange way to live.
    Please! Do you even know what that word means? Yes, downloading a major OS release has dangers for people. Are you pretending, to yourself, that it’s not true?
  • Reply 49 of 97
    jeff_cook said:
    melgross said:
    Simply stating the truth. What did you hope to accomplish with yours?

And here we are! One of the reasons why we should wait a bit, instead of rushing into things. Right here on this site. Isn’t that funny?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/25/macos-high-sierra-vulnerability-may-let-unsigned-apps-steal-keychain-logins-in-plaintext
    edited September 2017 waverboy
  • Reply 50 of 97

jeff_cook said:
    melgross said:
    steven n. said:
    jeff_cook said:
    It ran during the beta. Haven't tried on the latest build yet.

That said, many of Apple's older pro-level apps don't work in HS anymore. The day is coming that Aperture will stop functioning.
    I know:-( I have tried to like LightRoom and it simply does not match my work flow at all. Nice conversion but the work flow is simply horrid IMO.
    Well, you’re going to have to make the change at some point. Aperture was never equal to Lightroom as far as IQ was concerned. It’s far behind now.
    I think you mean the Apple RAW engine is behind in your opinion, since Aperture just uses the OS provided engine.  Its nice to have the IQ updated every time the OS engine gets an update, even though Aperture has not been updated in years.
    It’s not that. Aperture’s tools just aren’t very sophisticated when compared to competitors. It was terrible upon original release, and they fixed some of their blunders, but even so, subtly isn’t a major selling point. There were reasons why the program failed.
  • Reply 51 of 97
    melgross said:

melgross said:
    Nice straw man you've constructed there.

No, it's just about not being afraid of new things, secure in the knowledge that my data is redundant. Why would I wait a few days when I can start adding value today? Strange way to live.
    Please! Do you even know what that word means? Yes, downloading a major OS release has dangers for people. Are you pretending, to yourself, that it’s not true?
    I know exactly what straw man means -- and you've constructed one, claiming that those upgrading today do it to "feel as though you're first". Pretty clear.

As far as dangers, as I also clearly said, if you have a proper data redundancy plan in place there is little to be worried about. For the exact same reason I consider upgrading iOS versions to be completely harmless...my data is always protected.

We aren't talking about "people", you asked why we here in this forum upgrade when it's possible to do so. So the answer is clear -- added value with minimal risk.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 97
    rob53 said:
    jahaja said:
    Does anyone here have experience of updating from Sierra, using FileVault, to High Sierra which apparently does not have any FileVault since encryption is included from the get-go?
    High Sierra does not format SSD's with encryption by default, at least not during the beta releases.
    I'm happy to report that this is not true for the final release. My encrypted HFS+ volume was automatically converted to encrypted APFS on upgrading.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 97

melgross said:
    jeff_cook said:
    melgross said:
    Simply stating the truth. What did you hope to accomplish with yours?

And here we are! One of the reasons why we should wait a bit, instead of rushing into things. Right here on this site. Isn’t that funny?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/25/macos-high-sierra-vulnerability-may-let-unsigned-apps-steal-keychain-logins-in-plaintext
    No, that isn't ironic or remarkable at all -- it's a proof-of-concept exploit that requires you do give it specific security manual overrides to work. Why would I do that? How is such an exploit different than exploits that existed on legacy versions of macOS? Are you waiting for a version of macOS with no possible exploits?

This isn't striking me as a rational fear.

So far 10.13 is running awesome for me. I really like the new Safari features in particular, like remembering the zoom level per site, and not auto-playing annoying videos on sites like Macworld or CNN. My only complaints so far -- 1) old Siri voice, 2) Siri still can't do HomeKit scenes. Not understanding the disconnect from iOS/tvOS/watchOS on that.
    edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 97
    My install seems to have failed.  Just a plain old black screen after a really really long wait.  Not sure what to do next, even the fan finally shut off, altho the keyboard lights remain.  I was running the most recent 10.13 beta, so the machine must be capable of it.
  • Reply 55 of 97
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    OK, installed and humming along, and my verdict after 30 minutes?

THIS THING IS FAST!!!!!!

Are you using APFS?

I have a Fusion drive (and won't be able to take advantage of APFS), so I wonder if the speed increase is from APFS alone.
    watto_cobranht
  • Reply 56 of 97
    jeff_cook said:
    Temperance.
  • Reply 57 of 97
    melgross said:
    Aperture was never equal to Lightroom as far as IQ was concerned. It’s far behind now.
    Maybe if you never used any third-party plugins with it. Aperture's metadata and DAM support is a lot better than LR's, and keeping up to date image manipulationwise with a careful selection of plugins makes a world of difference to what Aperture could do when Apple dropped development.

YMOV.
  • Reply 58 of 97
    melgross said:
    troberts said:
    Just my luck. The day I decide to update to macOS Sierra before macOS High Sierra is released and hope EVE Online still works at least as well as it does now on OS X El Capitan, macOS High Sierra gets released.

Is there a way to get macOS Sierra? If my hard drive failed or I swapped it for an SSD and I wanted to stay on macOS Sierra, I would think there is a way to do it.

A number of older OSs are still up on their site.
    Where do I go to get macOS Sierra? When I go the the App Store and type "macOS Sierra" the only OS that shows is macOS High Sierra.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 97
    dougd said:
    Only a fool would upgrade now. Wait at least six months
    So apparently a fool is anyone who might have more than one Mac to use, and likes to play around with new software and OS releases.

Don't ever let anyone tell you about Linux or, say, something like Raspberry Pi. You'll thank me later.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 97
    melgross said:
    And those very same nerds, though it’s not really the nerds who do that, but fanboys and firster braggers, will also be the very first to complain when they have an issue that gets fixed three days after the release, that screws something up that they don’t know how to fix.
    How else are you going to know at whom to point and laugh?