Apple squashes iOS 11 bugs with quick release of iOS 11.0.1

Posted:
in iPhone
Just a week after iOS 11 was launched to the public, Apple has quickly followed up with iOS 11.0.1, a small update intended to address bugs and fix various issues with the software.

Release notes accompanying iOS 11.0.1 simply state that the update "includes bug fixes and improvements for your iPhone or iPad."

There are two builds of the software: 15A402 for current iPhones and iPads, and build 15A403 for the forthcoming iPhone X.

iOS 11 includes a new voice for Siri, as well as the ARKit tools that developers can use to create advanced augmented reality applications. It also boasts a redesigned App Store, and various features like Do Not Disturb While Driving and a revamped Music app.

On the iPad, iOS 11 brings an all-new app dock that can be used for multitasking and app switching, as well as dragging and dropping files in between applications.

iOS 11 is compatible with the iPhone 5s and newer, the iPad 2 and up, the iPad Air and newer, and all iPad Pros. It is also compatible with the sixth-generation iPod touch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 116
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Are the battery issues as bad as what you read on other sites? I have a 6S+ and original Apple Watch. I want to upgrade, but can't afford to loose battery performance like some claim. The phone is not a big deal, I have times that it can charge, but the watch is obviously much more difficult to find a time and place to charge.
  • Reply 2 of 116
    razorpit said:
    Are the battery issues as bad as what you read on other sites? I have a 6S+ and original Apple Watch. I want to upgrade, but can't afford to loose battery performance like some claim. The phone is not a big deal, I have times that it can charge, but the watch is obviously much more difficult to find a time and place to charge.
    If it helps, on Sunday I wore my original Apple Watch for 18 hours, including an hour of workout, and had 10% left on the battery when I went to bed.
    razorpitdoozydozentdknoxjahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 116
    I applied the GM version of iOS11 a week before the general release and haven't seen any real battery issues with my iPhone 6 after the first day or 2. There are a few programs that seem to startup slower, but nothing that really bothers me too much. For watchOS, I installed v4 on release day and haven't had any problems with battery life or performance there. I like some of the tweaks they've done even on my v0 watch. Overall, its a good upgrade.
    razorpitdoozydozenjahbladejbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 116
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    sog35 said:
    iOS 11 really sucks on my iPhone 6 Plus.

Battery life is shitty.  Real shitty.  Battery life is probably down 30-40%.

Apps take fucking forever to open.  So many bugs. What a mess. Rotation sucks.

Tim is really slipping. How do they even release such a half baked version of iOS?

I sometimes have apps taking forever to open and rotation issues on iOS 10. Your battery life is really down by that much?

• Reply 5 of 116
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    No battery problems. But for some time I’ve been getting freezes on my iPad. I’ll hit a letter on the virtual keyboard, and nothing happens. I often can hit it several times, and nothing happens. I can type words, and nothing happens. Sometimes, the first letter appears, the second doesn’t, and then the third does. It goes away after a short while.

in my ebay app, I get a freeze. Scrolling stops, tapping on something results in nothing. I have freezes in some others too. Doesn’t last for long, sometimes for just a few seconds. For example, in Eric’s Solitaire, when I select which game to play in the menu, sometimes nothing happens, and I have to select it again. Sometimes, when moving cards, they magnify as they’re supposed to, and freeze in that magnified state, only partly moved. I have to tap them to finish the move.

Sometimes, when I swipe an app to close it, nothing happens, and I have to do it again, maybe two more times.

and I’m still getting all the first letters of a new paragraph in lower case, entirely on this site. That’s why they’re not capitalized. It’s just too much trouble to constantly go back and delete it and then type it again, though, when I do, it will properly capitalize. Sometimes it will lose the ’ in a word such as “I’ve” if it’s the first.
    edited September 2017 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 116
    razorpit said:
    I updated to watchOS4 on the original AW. The battery issues with the workout app are still noticeable. I think it was the first release of watchOS3 that this really showed: I would go for a 30m walk in the morning, and if I ran the workout app, it would eat upwards of 30% of the battery. For reasons I've never understood, that sort of resolved itself with future releases. It is also possible that somehow the workout app is syncing data on a new watchOS.

When I updated to watchOS4, I got a battery low warning way early in a day I did some workouts right after the update (the next day, I think.) That seems to have mysteriously gone away, but the workout app eats battery. I can manage, as with occasional workouts in a day, I have just enough battery to get me through. I usually see about 15-25% battery when I put it on the charger at night. My wife's 38mm original AW is not so lucky. She is much more active than I am, and usually she runs out of battery after about 12-15 hours. If you are an athlete (she is) you will often not get "all day battery" from an original 38mm AW.

Yes, I know this is because of the HR sensor. You can turn it off, yes, but sort of what is the point then? And that is a rhetorical question.
    razorpitdysamoria
  • Reply 7 of 116
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Hoping this will un-nuke the battery life on my 7...
    jahblade
  • Reply 8 of 116
    sog35 said:

Tim is really slipping. How do they even release such a half baked version of iOS?

You seriously exhibit all the symptoms of by-polar disorder with how you flip-flop on the drop of a hat when it comes to Apple, and especially Tim Cook... Please remember to take your meds...
    jony0slprescotttdknox80s_Apple_GuyjahbladeStrangeDaysbrucemcksecjbdragonoseame
  • Reply 9 of 116
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    sog35 said:

I have a 7 Plus and I've had really no issues.  A few apps that are quirky, but they are old and need to be updated.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 116
    Battery life on my iPhone SE was significantly affected by iOS11. Hopeful this update fixes that. Literally cut my battery life in half, reminding me of cheap android phones in terms of runtime. 
    cecil444baconstang
  • Reply 11 of 116
    No update available on my 7 Plus or iPad Air 2 available as of yet.
  • Reply 12 of 116
    I think I’ve been having battery problems, but I’m not entirely sure. I’ll update to 11.0.1 and do the discharge/reset thing Apple always says to do and see what that does.
    Scot1dysamoriawillcropointgtr
  • Reply 13 of 116
    Another data point... I haven't seen much of a difference in battery life on my SE, except while running some of the new AR apps.  If I hadn't come across this article, this would not have even registered with me as a "thing".
    cecil444
  • Reply 14 of 116
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    As far as I can tell, the battery life on my 7 Plus may only be minimally affected. From 100% at 7 AM this morning, I am down to 87%. However, AT&T has been having LTE problems in my area, so that could explain the perceived slip in battery life. Otherwise, I've noticed some minor graphical glitches here and there. One time it didn't want to rotate from horizontal to vertical. I held the phone upright, and waited for the rotation but it didn't turn. I had to rotate the phone back to horizontal, and then back to vertical again, and then it worked perfectly. I also noticed a glitch in messages where after the keyboard popped up, the bottom portion of the message area was obscured by the keyboard no matter how much I tried to get it to scroll up above the keyboard. It was like it didn't think the keyboard was there. It will be interesting to see if this update fixes these issue.
  • Reply 15 of 116
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

You seriously exhibit all the symptoms of by-polar disorder with how you flip-flop on the drop of a hat when it comes to Apple, and especially Tim Cook... Please remember to take your meds...
    My comments about Tim depends on his performance.

It would be more disturbing if I had the same opinion of Tim regardless of how well or how bad he was performing.

Just in the last couple weeks there have been some disturbing screw ups by Tim:

1. Apple Watch LTE problems

2. iOS11 bugs

3. iPhone X supply issues

4. Weak sales of iPhone 8

5. AppleTV 4k not working for Youtube, no Dolby Atmos

Its as if Timmy was so busy working on the new headquarters he forgot to work on the REAL products that pay his salary.
    It's as if a CEO should be personally involved in the minutia of running the most profitable business on earth or something! How appalling!  Lemme respond since he probably won't:

1. Just got my Series 3 Apple Watch and then thing that bugs me the most is the red crown.  Actually, had problems getting it set up on launch day, but it seems the was caused by AT&T's systems taking a hit.  Got it up and running and making calls and GPS without my iPhone.
    2. As a developer, I can say that this has been a great build.  I've reported a number of bugs, but most or cosmetic and can be worked around.  Apps developed on older SDKs work well running on iOS11.  Does it have bugs? Yep. So does EVERY NEW OS RELEASE.  The trick is, don't go and update immediately unless you want to be on that cutting edge.
    3. All hearsay at this point. You're applying a rumor to reality.  I'm pretty sure supply will be constrained simply due to the laws of economics.  From the standpoint that Tim is judged on (profitability) he will be doing just fine with a six month back log of $1K+ devices.
    4. Conjecture. I believe that Apple expected this when they released two phones. In the famous words of Steve Jobs, "we rather cannibalize our own sales" in regard to iPad.  Same goes for iPhone X vs iPhone 8.  You're complaining now that Apple is competing with itself?
    5. No, AppleTV clearly supports H.264 and H.265 video standards.  They don't support VP9, a stolen bit of IP designed to get around paying a licensing fee.  It's up to Google to support H.265 and then devices that run it, not Apple.
    5b. Dolby Atmos is coming in an update very soon so get over it.

And yes, it's a lot to coordinate moving the worlds most profitable company to a new headquarters. It's a process and it's ACTUALLY something that the CEO is likely highly involved in.  Apple higher great engineers but they do make mistakes.  If you're not making mistakes, you're not challenging the status quo enough.  Trust me, I'm super irritated at Apple quite often, but I also know that they have always "made-good" on many of their endeavors that had fallen short.
    pscooter63macplusplusmagman1979shark5150jahbladeSpamSandwich[Deleted User]brucemcmadmax2k13roundaboutnow
  • Reply 16 of 116
    Battery life on my iPhone SE was significantly affected by iOS11. Hopeful this update fixes that. Literally cut my battery life in half, reminding me of cheap android phones in terms of runtime. 

sog35 said:

Wait a couple of days before you finalize judgement on battery life. After a major update an iOS device performs lots of housekeeping things in the background which will tax your battery. If things are bad after 2 days then do a force-restart and see if that helps.
    jony0propoddysamoriaroundaboutnowpscooter63james.saldanawatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 116
    razorpit said:
    What other site, the people hitching about battery life in the first 48h like every other day. I got the 6s and battery life isaok. Funny how you don’t hear about those whiners in bets despite hundred of thousands being involved. Because people in beta know not to whine in the first 48h unlike the dweebs.

if yoûre talking of that pos MacRumors site, I’d. Wager most people whining don’t actually own an iPhone...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 116
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

My comments about Tim depends on his performance.

It would be more disturbing if I had the same opinion of Tim regardless of how well or how bad he was performing.

Just in the last couple weeks there have been some disturbing screw ups by Tim:

1. Apple Watch LTE problems

2. iOS11 bugs

3. iPhone X supply issues

4. Weak sales of iPhone 8

5. AppleTV 4k not working for Youtube, no Dolby Atmos

Its as if Timmy was so busy working on the new headquarters he forgot to work on the REAL products that pay his salary.
    Since he runs the company, but not the departments themselves, you would need to look further down the line when assigning blame.

also, you’re wrong about some things. LTE problems have been explained, and they’re not entirely Apple’s fault, though they can be annoying to those who are experiencing them. The problem is mostly with the WiFi standards regarding acquiring new networks. It was never intended for a device like the Apple Watch. It’s like my dentists Office. When I turn my iPad on in the waiting area, and go to safari, the WiFi network comes on asks for my password. Once I give it, and click “done” on the page, I’m transferred from LTE to their network. That’s how it’s supposed to work.

but it can’t do that on the Watch. So it gets stuck. As has been pointed out, turning airplane mode on and off fixes it. Apple will have an update. It’s been explained that Apple’s testers very likely didn’t encounter this so they weren’t aware of it. But fine, blame Cook.

what is Cook supposed to do here? He doesn’t do software. You can pretend that Jobs never had this issue, but he did. Remember MobileMe? A total mess. After it came out, Jobs was pissed, but he didn’t see the problems before it came out. Apple does a dance between bugs, features, and a needed date for release. Juggling that is difficult. Sometimes, depending on how difficult some of the work is, more bugs get released. That’s software development.

so you’re also blaming him because suppliers are having difficulty manufacturing complex parts on schedule? Seriously? It’s his fault that 40% of the OLED screens are faulty because of the difficulty of cutting the notch? It’s also his fault the the Face ID sensor module are also difficult to make?

weak sales of the 8 are being attributed to the high number of people wanting the X. Estimates are that Apple will see 40-50 million preorders for the X, and that it could go higher. This is a bad thing, according to you?

i do agree that Apple should rethink support for Google’s 9, but there’s another widely backed payment free standard being worked on that may replace it, called V1. Google is in that group, though Apple is not, for some reason. This is the only thing I can agree with you here. Atmos support is coming, as Apple has said, though almost no one will ever use it.

These are all pretty made up issues you’ve created. None of them are actually major, or even under Apple’s control.
    edited September 2017 canukstormpscooter63magman1979StrangeDaysbrucemc2old4funmacky the mackywatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 19 of 116
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    razorpit said:
    Please be advised that with every single release of iOS or its updates we always see a number of “This update killed my battery” comments. It’s like death and taxes and it’s as sure as the sun rises in the East. In almost every case it turns out to be an errant app gone rogue with the update. You might try looking in Settings->Battery to see if a particular app is using an inordinate amount of power.
    jfc1138watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 20 of 116
    Geeze - sounds like iOS 11 has some issues.  Thanks for sharing your experiences here.  I'm gonna stick with 10.3.3 for awhile
    dysamoria