Apple squashes iOS 11 bugs with quick release of iOS 11.0.1

Comments

• Reply 20 of 116
    sog35 said:
    iOS 11 really sucks on my iPhone 6 Plus.

Battery life is shitty.  Real shitty.  Battery life is probably down 30-40%.

Apps take fucking forever to open.  So many bugs. What a mess. Rotation sucks.

Tim is really slipping. How do they even release such a half baked version of iOS?

Problem is the 6 Plus is powered by the A8 with only 1GB of RAM.  It's showing its age. If you have an iPhone 6 / 6 Plus or older iPhone, I would highly recommend upgrading.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 116
    sog35 said:

Tim is really slipping. How do they even release such a half baked version of iOS?

I am curious as to what bugs you are having and how you determined your battery life is that much worse. I have a 6 Plus 16GB work phone paired with a gen 1 apple watch and have noticed no determinable difference in battery life compared to 10.3.3. Nor have I experienced any additional bugs or quirkiness. This was an upgrade install as well as opposed to a clean install. The only issue I have had is a carry over from iOS 10 where Siri doesn't want to activate at times but as this issue seems to only happen with this phone and not my personal iphone 7 plus I am assuming its more of a phone issue than it is an OS issue.
    hodar
  • Reply 23 of 116
    Maybe I've been lucky but have had zero issues with battery life on my iP7+, running iOS11.  It's the same as on iOS10, maybe even a bit better.  Just hope 11.0.1 fixes other bugs from the beta versions that weren't fixed in the 11.0 GM. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 116
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

sog35 said:
    razorpit said:
    sog35 said:

I sometimes have apps taking forever to open and rotation issues on iOS 10. Your battery life is really down by that much?

It is.

Usually at the end of day my battery is at 80%

Since I've installed iOS11 I'm below 50%
    I have an iPhone 6 with no such issues. Battery is fine. Some apps take longer to launch but certainly not “forever” as you rant. As software advances so does the horsepower needed to run it. And I suspect that if Apple had chosen to not support your iPhone 6S because of processing power you would screaming just as loud about “planned obsolescence.” With you Apple is damned either way.
    idlewanderlustpscooter63jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 116
    sog35 said:

Yep...my 6plus has taken quite a dip in battery life, apps are slow to open, startup is slow, and app rendering is slow. Don't know if 11.0.1 addresses these things (sure would be nice for Apple to be transparent for a change), however, at the moment I'm not pleased about the 11 performance. BTW I'm posting from South Africa. 11.0.1 not yet available for download.
  • Reply 26 of 116
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    sog35 said:

I agree with you. Tim Cook failed on quality issues.  He spent so much energy on LGBT and DACA. Steve Jobs is a completely dedicated CEO. Once he was criticized for not donating to charities. He simply ignores the criticism. He does not play politics. Further, he knows numbers really well.  Many people have little interest in numbers therefore they do not understand what they mean. 
    mobird
  • Reply 27 of 116
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    tzeshan said:
    sog35 said:

I agree with you. Tim Cook failed on quality issues.  He spent so much energy on LGBT and DACA. Steve Jobs is a completely dedicated CEO. Once he was criticized for not donating to charities. He simply ignores the criticism. He does not play politics. Further, he knows numbers really well.  Many people have little interest in numbers therefore they do not understand what they mean. 
    Just take your “Steve is dead” bullshit somewhere else. And your politics too.
    StrangeDaysbrucemcoseameroundaboutnowpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 116
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    sog35 said:

You fucking think Tim coded iOS11 all by himself? You sound like such a petty child. Mine is absolutely perfect. Feels zippier than iOS10, zero crashes, zero bugs so far. By far is the most stable .0 iOS release I've ever experienced. There is nothing "half-baked" about it. It also runs perfectl on my iPad (since the betas) and my wife has zero complaints on her 6S. This "half-baked" garbage is spouted by trolls every SINGLE time there is a new iOS release, it really is the lowest form of trolling, so of course you, sog35, is mindlessly beating that drum like there's no tomorrow. You definitely never disappoint, nothing more predictable than you and jumping over any negative narrative you can find, no matter how unfounded it is. Are there issues for some? Of course, just like any other iOS release, but for something that has released to hundreds of millions of people, expecting anything else would be insane.
    edited September 2017 magman1979StrangeDaysbrucemcjbdragonpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 116
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    lkrupp said:
    tzeshan said:
    sog35 said:

Just take your “Steve is dead” bullshit somewhere else. And your politics too.
    As a legitimate buyer of iPhone 7 Plus, I am entitled to my opinions. Further, I hope Apple products can get better and better, so I can continue using them. 
  • Reply 30 of 116
    sog35 said:

I am curious as to what bugs you are having and how you determined your battery life is that much worse. I have a 6 Plus 16GB work phone paired with a gen 1 apple watch and have noticed no determinable difference in battery life compared to 10.3.3. Nor have I experienced any additional bugs or quirkiness. This was an upgrade install as well as opposed to a clean install. The only issue I have had is a carry over from iOS 10 where Siri doesn't want to activate at times but as this issue seems to only happen with this phone and not my personal iphone 7 plus I am assuming its more of a phone issue than it is an OS issue.
    i've been using the 11 GM on my 6plus and iPad Pro 12.9 2g. The iPad shows none of the oddities my 6Plus shows. That includes reduced battery life (quick drops in battery level doing web searching, photo scanning, phone calls, SMS) and very slow app openings, which includes those apps recently updated. Still waiting for the 11.0.1 update to appear on my phone (I'm in South Africa). Hope this update remedies these problems.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 31 of 116
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I tried to get the update, but my iPad says that 11.0 is up to date. Hopefully, it will appear soon. I really hope it fixes the issues I’ve brought up. Or at least some of them.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 32 of 116
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Everything was going fine with my 8 Plus until I tried installing the latest update. I backed up the phone then downloaded and installed and it came up with an error 9 and nothing seems to allow it to actually finish the update.

Went ahead and tried to do a restore and it still doesn't finish.

After a few skips of my heart, I was able to do a hard restart (have to press the vol up, vol down, the side button in quick order to get it to work) and use the USB cable included in my iPhone (I was using an Apple cable before but it looks thinner) to get it to finish the update.

edited September 2017
  • Reply 33 of 116
    razorpit said:
    Are the battery issues as bad as what you read on other sites? I have a 6S+ and original Apple Watch. I want to upgrade, but can't afford to loose battery performance like some claim. The phone is not a big deal, I have times that it can charge, but the watch is obviously much more difficult to find a time and place to charge.
    I have the same watch and battery life is the same, if not slightly better... After a system upgrade cleanup may take a couple of days, so every iPhone is short of battery in that period. Just keep it plugged in and connected to wifi so that those jobs finish asap.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 116
    tzeshan said:
    sog35 said:

What a bunch of crap. There were plenty of issues with Jobs. He presided over a lot of junk. He also ignored people’s complaints about it. Remember the round “puck” mouse for the iMac? That was all Jobs. The Cube’s problems? Jobs again. MobileMe? Yup! That’s just a few. If you want to blame Cook for issues, blame Jobs for the ones on his watch too.

and by the way, don’t refer him as though he’s still with us. 
    StrangeDaysbrucemcdysamoriajbdragon
  • Reply 35 of 116
    I have iPhone 7. After updating, right away I noticed stuttering during transitions from app to app or especially when using camera. I am sure it will all get worked out in the next update or two. Yes, it would have been nice to have been worked out before launch.
  • Reply 36 of 116
    Speaking of Apple being damned either way, my partner didn't upgrade to ioS11 and the battery on that iPhone 6 craps out after about half an hour no matter what.  Hey it's only 3 years old that should not be too old!

Oops, forgot to mention.  We went into the Apple Store on Sunday -- not a big one but at one of the largest malls in the country, so not teeny tiny -- and guess what.  Forget going to the Apple Store without a Genius Bar appointment!  The first available appointment at either that one or the next closest store was ... Wednesday!  

Lovely to see Angela Arehndts in her see-through pajamas raincoat talk about how wonderful the new Stores -- they aren't to be called that anymore but I forget the new name -- will be, but when you actually get there it is like a scene from Hieronymous Bosch's Hell.  "Oh, we had no idea we would have so many people come in to talk with the Genius Bar (still called that BTW) when they got their new iPhone 8 and Watch 3, but if we hired any more Geniuses, well, you know, it's not like we're selling millions of these phones and making billions of dollars on it.  Oh, woops, wait!  We are!
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 37 of 116
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    melgross said:
    What a bunch of crap. There were plenty of issues with Jobs. He presided over a lot of junk. He also ignored people’s complaints about it. Remember the round “puck” mouse for the iMac? That was all Jobs. The Cube’s problems? Jobs again. MobileMe? Yup! That’s just a few. If you want to blame Cook for issues, blame Jobs for the ones on his watch too.

and by the way, don’t refer him as though he’s still with us. 
    And let's not forget one of the most famous examples of him ignoring people's complaints, the infamous "You're holding it wrong!" during (so-called) Antenna-gate.

Don't get me wrong, a case quickly solved the signal attenuation problem, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that there was a wee engineering oversight with the antenna on the iPhone 4. 
    edited September 2017 magman1979dysamoria
  • Reply 38 of 116
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

Some bugs I'm having:

1. On iTunes store I push song to purchase. The screen just freezes. Nothing happens. This happened several times.

2. Can access control center. Swipe up and nothing happens. Nothing. I had to restart the phone.

3. Safari freezes and is unresponsive. 

4. Screen rotation. Screen does not want to rotate to the right orientation. Had to close the app to make it work.

5. General lag in opening apps. ESPN app literally takes 5 seconds to open. Before it was less than a second.
    1. May be an iCloud issue related to authentication. If you’re able to repeat it then just report to Apple.
    2. The front application is badly programmed. Delete it. That issue is not new.
    3. A shitload of trackers and their huge Javascript make the site impossible to navigate. Stay away from badly programmed web sites.
    4. Then the issue is with the app.
    5. Apps not optimized for iOS 11.
  • Reply 39 of 116
    I have an iPhone 6 & iPad Pro 9.7 both updated to iOS11. I haven't noticed any issues. Battery life seems unchanged. Performance is good on both. I really like the iPad enhancements. I hope the 3rd party App devs catch up quick.
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 116
    Speaking of Apple being damned either way, my partner didn't upgrade to ioS11 and the battery on that iPhone 6 craps out after about half an hour no matter what.  Hey it's only 3 years old that should not be too old!

Oops, forgot to mention.  We went into the Apple Store on Sunday -- not a big one but at one of the largest malls in the country, so not teeny tiny -- and guess what.  Forget going to the Apple Store without a Genius Bar appointment!  The first available appointment at either that one or the next closest store was ... Wednesday!  

Lovely to see Angela Arehndts in her see-through pajamas raincoat talk about how wonderful the new Stores -- they aren't to be called that anymore but I forget the new name -- will be, but when you actually get there it is like a scene from Hieronymous Bosch's Hell.  "Oh, we had no idea we would have so many people come in to talk with the Genius Bar (still called that BTW) when they got their new iPhone 8 and Watch 3, but if we hired any more Geniuses, well, you know, it's not like we're selling millions of these phones and making billions of dollars on it.  Oh, woops, wait!  We are!
    It depends. Sometimes I can go in and just ask about a problem and someone is with me in a few ninutes. My daughter brought an iMac that got broken when the office cat jumped on the table and knocked it over. They took it in for repair right away. I had a problem with my Apple Watch not syncing with my new iPhone last year, after it worked with my 6+. I went in and explained the issue, and someone helped me right away.

it often has to do with how busy they are, and the particular problem.

you don’t have to be snarky.
    watto_cobra