Apple TV 4K listing appears on Amazon, after two-year absence of product line [u]

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2017
A listing for the 64-gigabyte version of the Apple TV 4K on Amazon is briefly buoyed hopes for an imminent release of an Amazon Prime Video app for Apple's set-top box-- but the listing has since been removed by the e-commerce giant.

For a time, both the 32- and 64-gigabyte Apple TV 4K models have a listing on Amazon. The 64GB model was first spotted by 9to5Mac, with the 32GB version overpriced by a likely grey-market seller that is providing it. The 64GB model from Amazon itself is listed as out of stock.

The listing page was removed by Amazon at approximately 3:00 p.m. eastern time.

In itself, the listing doesn't really foretell when the device will be available for sale through Amazon. Announced media pops up in Amazon when it is announced, and may or may not go up for sale or pre-order immediately.

Amazon withdrew the Apple TV and Chromecast on Oct. 29, 2015, after it claimed that Amazon Prime Video compatibility was necessary for the company to sell set-top boxes to avoid "customer confusion." Amazon could have made that happen with a channel in the third-generation device, or an app for the fourth-generation, but at the time it chose to not do so.

In 2016, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos suggested Prime Video would remain off devices made by Apple or any other company marketing comparable set-top streaming products until amicable reimbursement models are agreed upon. Presumably, Bezos didn't want to shell out 30 percent to Apple for content it delivers and sometimes generates itself.

Apple CEO Tim Cook announced at the WWDC that Amazon's video streaming service would be available on the Apple TV in 2017. The app has not as of yet materialized, but an unconfirmed rumor suggests that it may happen on Sept. 28 in conjunction with a Football game between the Chicago Bears and the Green Bay Packers that Amazon is streaming.

There are no details of any business arrangement between Amazon and Apple for Amazon Prime Video to migrate to tvOS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Ugh! I ordered mine from the Apple site the day it was released, and it won’t cone until October 6-13. I’ll be away the 5th through the 9th. Then, I went to look at my order yesterday, and it wasn’t there. I went through my emails and found Apple’s confirmation. Tapped the order link, and in the Apple store, it said that this order wasn’t available for this (my) account. I had to call Apple and have someone step me through fixing that. She said they were having that problem occasionally.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Cuz Amazon Prime. Now, I can officially dump the FireTV!
    calitmay
  • Reply 3 of 20
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Neither Apple TV model shows up in the Amazon app for me. First hit is a FireTV of some variety, then the next three items are docks or mounts for the Apple TV. They may be “available”, but Amazon doesn’t seem to make them easy to find.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    fallenjt said:
    I got a FireTV stick as a promo. It is essentially unusable.

I got a good deal on a Roku Smart 4k HDTV. It has an Amazon app built into it, and is apparently the same software as the stick was. It actually works a lot better. That Roku device has surprised me. So much I changed my mind about buying a ATV4k to upgrade the ATV4 I have now. I actually don't need it. YMMV. 
  • Reply 5 of 20
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    It showed up because nobody will buy it ... to expensive!
  • Reply 6 of 20
    mattrogers_2mattrogers_2 Posts: 10unconfirmed, member
    Great. Prime video app....PLEASE
  • Reply 7 of 20
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    eightzero said:

Please explain?  I feel are you a fanboy and are wanting to rubbish a device from a competitor that is over three years told.

I have a 1st gen Fire TV stick, it still works fine, yes it is slower than my 1st gen Fire TV, but unlike my 1st gen Apple TV both are still usable.

• Reply 8 of 20
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Once I see Amazon prime App on ATV, I will believe. I will change Jeff Bozos to Jeff Bezos.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    jfanning said:
    eightzero said:

Please explain?  I feel are you a fanboy and are wanting to rubbish a device from a competitor that is over three years told.

I have a 1st gen Fire TV stick, it still works fine, yes it is slower than my 1st gen Fire TV, but unlike my 1st gen Apple TV both are still usable.

Your first generation Apple TV is over a decade old. The Fire TV stick? Less than half that.
    StrangeDaysbb-15stompytmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20
    jfanning said:
    eightzero said:

It crashes, refuses to load, and has a confusing interface to load apps. I feel it is unusable. Upon seeing the Roku device interface, I removed the stick from the USB port. I don't miss it.

Yes, I'm a fanboi who posted about preferring a Roku device over the new Apple product. I feel you are someone that doesn't read or comprehend. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 20
    jume said:
    Sad!
  • Reply 12 of 20
    By the way, the Amazon link in the story is a bad link. Nothing on that page.

And I did a top-level search on Amazon. No Apple TV 4K listed.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 13 of 20
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    john.b said:
    Neither Apple TV model shows up in the Amazon app for me. First hit is a FireTV of some variety, then the next three items are docks or mounts for the Apple TV. They may be “available”, but Amazon doesn’t seem to make them easy to find.
    Read again. It was removed.  
  • Reply 14 of 20
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    sog35 said:
    Here. We. Go........

Amazon Prime coming to AppleTV! Finally!

good job Timmy!
    I told doubters in 2015 that AmaOn and Vudu would come to Apple TV. They’re already on iOS because of the massive user base(iPhone vs fire phone). Using logic I concluded Amazon/Vudu would come and they shill doubted.

People have selective logic. When it comes to iOS everything is possible. When it comes to tvOS “it’s not gonna happen because Amazon/Vudu won’t give their platform to a competitor”.... eh? 
  • Reply 15 of 20
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    eightzero said:
    jume said:
    Sad!
    Why Sad?

You will say the Apple TV device is worth 2x the price of Amazon, Google and Roku devices? Not for me sorry... It has nice features, nice UI but sorry also lacks some good things.

Ciao
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    By the way, the Amazon link in the story is a bad link. Nothing on that page.

And I did a top-level search on Amazon. No Apple TV 4K listed.
    That was the link to the page and probably will be again. The screen capture is ours -- so it was there.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 20
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    eightzero said:
    fallenjt said:

I got a good deal on a Roku Smart 4k HDTV. It has an Amazon app built into it, and is apparently the same software as the stick was. It actually works a lot better. That Roku device has surprised me. So much I changed my mind about buying a ATV4k to upgrade the ATV4 I have now. I actually don't need it. YMMV. 
    I got Fire TV box with 4K capability. Still, I’ll dump it. Got all needed apps in Apple TV4 now: Netflix, Hulu, DirecTV Now, SlingTV and coming Amazon Prime...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 20
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    jume said:
    eightzero said:
    jume said:
    Sad!
    Why Sad?

You will say the Apple TV device is worth 2x the price of Amazon, Google and Roku devices? Not for me sorry... It has nice features, nice UI but sorry also lacks some good things.

Ciao
    What are those “good things”?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 20
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    eightzero said:

It crashes, refuses to load, and has a confusing interface to load apps. I feel it is unusable. Upon seeing the Roku device interface, I removed the stick from the USB port. I don't miss it.

Yes, I'm a fanboi who posted about preferring a Roku device over the new Apple product. I feel you are someone that doesn't read or comprehend. 

So it doesn't work because it is broken?  How is that a fault of the Fire TV in general?  The interface is confusing?  It is a bit quirky, but no worse that iOS.

And who cares that I didn't read your last sentence?  It didn't change the story over you misrepresenting the cause of your problems with the Fire TV