Apple squashes iOS 11 bugs with quick release of iOS 11.0.1

Comments

• Reply 41 of 116
    not seeing this update in the UK
  • Reply 42 of 116
    kkqd1337 said:
    not seeing this update in the UK
    For those of you not seeing the update - do you have the iOS Beta profile loaded on your phone? If so, you will not see the commercial releases until you remove the profile and restart your phone.
    avidappleguyavidappleguykkqd1337GG1capnbobwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 43 of 116
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    iOS 11 really sucks on my iPhone 6 Plus.

Battery life is shitty.  Real shitty.  Battery life is probably down 30-40%.

Apps take fucking forever to open.  So many bugs. What a mess. Rotation sucks.

Tim is really slipping. How do they even release such a half baked version of iOS?

You seriously exhibit all the symptoms of by-polar disorder with how you flip-flop on the drop of a hat when it comes to Apple, and especially Tim Cook... Please remember to take your meds...
    My comments about Tim depends on his performance.

It would be more disturbing if I had the same opinion of Tim regardless of how well or how bad he was performing.

Just in the last couple weeks there have been some disturbing screw ups by Tim:

1. Apple Watch LTE problems

2. iOS11 bugs

3. iPhone X supply issues

4. Weak sales of iPhone 8

5. AppleTV 4k not working for Youtube, no Dolby Atmos

Its as if Timmy was so busy working on the new headquarters he forgot to work on the REAL products that pay his salary.
    This sounds like a normal list of things that happens during every new iPhone launch. 
  • Reply 44 of 116
    I hope it fixes the blank Home Screen bug.
  • Reply 45 of 116
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    My original Apple Watch battery was typically at 60% or greater charge at the end of the day. After mowing half my my lawn yesterday it was down to 10%. I see there is a setting on the Watch app on iPhone under General called Workout Power Saving Mode that turns off the heart rate sensor during walking/running activities. Even though this seems rather odd from a functionality perspective, since it's negating a useful feature, I'll try turning that on when I mow the second half today and see how it does. I'm surprised Apple doesn't offer a Turn Off All Watch Features setting to achieve maximum power savings (just kidding). 

After spending >30 years in software, product, and systems development I've never been more convinced than I am now that modern software complexity has far exceeded the ability of human programmers to write reliable code anymore. Too much software has turned into over-featured mega-bloated demoware that contains a small fraction of practical usefulness. Sure, we now have animated emojis to render our ready-to-explode foreheads, bulging neck veins, and bloodshot eyes that reflect our physical reaction to yet another piece of buggy software failing us when it shouldn't, but what about making basic stuff like iCloud syncing reliable enough to always trust, allowing work essential devices like phones and watches last a full day of work, and utilitarian software that doesn't have to be updated every two days? I won't even get into security issues... Very timely article in The Atlantic today about this topic. Yeah, we've seen it all before and nothing really changes. We're still crash test dummies for the next round of betas masquerading as products. But sure don't those augmented reality demos and other new feature unveilings look really sweet - on stage.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 46 of 116
    sog35 said:

Tim is really slipping. How do they even release such a half baked version of iOS?

Bollocks. I have none of those problems. I suspect this is just an excuse for you to flip your manic-button and begin your hate-on-Cook phase anew.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 116

eightzero said:
    razorpit said:
    Are the battery issues as bad as what you read on other sites? I have a 6S+ and original Apple Watch. I want to upgrade, but can't afford to loose battery performance like some claim. The phone is not a big deal, I have times that it can charge, but the watch is obviously much more difficult to find a time and place to charge.
    I updated to watchOS4 on the original AW. The battery issues with the workout app are still noticeable. I think it was the first release of watchOS3 that this really showed: I would go for a 30m walk in the morning, and if I ran the workout app, it would eat upwards of 30% of the battery. For reasons I've never understood, that sort of resolved itself with future releases. It is also possible that somehow the workout app is syncing data on a new watchOS.

When I updated to watchOS4, I got a battery low warning way early in a day I did some workouts right after the update (the next day, I think.) That seems to have mysteriously gone away, but the workout app eats battery. I can manage, as with occasional workouts in a day, I have just enough battery to get me through. I usually see about 15-25% battery when I put it on the charger at night. My wife's 38mm original AW is not so lucky. She is much more active than I am, and usually she runs out of battery after about 12-15 hours. If you are an athlete (she is) you will often not get "all day battery" from an original 38mm AW.

Yes, I know this is because of the HR sensor. You can turn it off, yes, but sort of what is the point then? And that is a rhetorical question.
    It's not about the HR sensor. With watchOS 3 they unthrottled the CPU cycles, which were previously held back; that's why the original release still had 45% battery life at the end of the day, but is now closer to 10-15%. The idea was they felt they were too conservative and made it faster in order to make app loading quicker from the dock.
    dysamoriapscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 116

sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

You seriously exhibit all the symptoms of by-polar disorder with how you flip-flop on the drop of a hat when it comes to Apple, and especially Tim Cook... Please remember to take your meds...
    My comments about Tim depends on his performance.

It would be more disturbing if I had the same opinion of Tim regardless of how well or how bad he was performing.

Just in the last couple weeks there have been some disturbing screw ups by Tim:

1. Apple Watch LTE problems

2. iOS11 bugs

3. iPhone X supply issues

4. Weak sales of iPhone 8

5. AppleTV 4k not working for Youtube, no Dolby Atmos

Its as if Timmy was so busy working on the new headquarters he forgot to work on the REAL products that pay his salary.
    Your list is nonsense. 

1. The wifi bug isn't limited to watchOS, but is being fixed. I don't know anyone who ran into it but whatevs.

2. What bugs specifically? All releases have bugs but I'm not aware of show stoppers.

3. This means nothing. Flagship is always constrained by supply chain every single year.

4. Prove it.

5. Non-issue, go talk to your buddies at Google and ask why they aren't serving the .265 versions of their content to ATV. I hadn't even heard of Atmos before last week so it's clearly not a thing normals are concerned with. Despite this, already announced.

Your grievances are as weak as they are petty. Stop this back & forth nonsense based on the stock price. It's worthless commentary on your part.
    pscooter63macguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 116
    melgross said:
    and I’m still getting all the first letters of a new paragraph in lower case, entirely on this site. That’s why they’re not capitalized. It’s just too much trouble to constantly go back and delete it and then type it again, though, when I do, it will properly capitalize. Sometimes it will lose the ’ in a word such as “I’ve” if it’s the first.
    That's not new at all. It's also not just capitalized letters missing. Autocorrect itself just stops half the time (especially notable on Facebook comments when referencing someone's name). I'm still on iOS 10 and I've seen many Safari text issues since iOS 9 when I bought this iPhone 6s. This is one of the bugs I've reported and complained about for a very long time now, including here. It was reported to me by other users that all these Safari text bugs came from iOS 7. Five major releases with Apple not bothering to fix ANY of this crap.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 50 of 116
    tzeshan said:
    sog35 said:

I agree with you. Tim Cook failed on quality issues.  He spent so much energy on LGBT and DACA. Steve Jobs is a completely dedicated CEO. Once he was criticized for not donating to charities. He simply ignores the criticism. He does not play politics. Further, he knows numbers really well.  Many people have little interest in numbers therefore they do not understand what they mean. 
    Complete bullshit. Jobs met with sitting presidents to discuss policy. He also instituted social-awareness programs like Product Red.

So stop worrying about gays and get a clue about Apple's history.
    dysamoriapscooter63macguiwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 51 of 116
    rob55 said:
    melgross said:
    What a bunch of crap. There were plenty of issues with Jobs. He presided over a lot of junk. He also ignored people’s complaints about it. Remember the round “puck” mouse for the iMac? That was all Jobs. The Cube’s problems? Jobs again. MobileMe? Yup! That’s just a few. If you want to blame Cook for issues, blame Jobs for the ones on his watch too.

and by the way, don’t refer him as though he’s still with us. 
    And let's not forget one of the most famous examples of him ignoring people's complaints, the infamous "You're holding it wrong!" during (so-called) Antenna-gate.

Don't get me wrong, a case quickly solved the signal attenuation problem, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that there was a wee engineering oversight with the antenna on the iPhone 4. 
    Incorrect. As Jobs explained in the media event, the attenuation was the same as with other phones when deathgripped by a water-bag (your hand). ATT's carrier data showed no significant increase in call drops, it was just media hoopla over watching the bars go down. Go back and re-watch the event if you've forgotten:

...he shows at 18:45 that carrier data proved it dropped <1 % more often than the 3GS, and had 2/3s less returns than the 3GS, and while <1% was more than they'd like it to be, it showed the death grip signal attenuation wasnt actually a problem IRL.

The real proof? They continued to sell the original 4 unchanged for years to come. Sure newer models got even better, but the original 4 was fine and there was no real world issue, as proven by the carrier data and the sales data.
    edited September 2017 shark5150watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 52 of 116
    melgross said:
    Speaking of Apple being damned either way, my partner didn't upgrade to ioS11 and the battery on that iPhone 6 craps out after about half an hour no matter what.  Hey it's only 3 years old that should not be too old!

Oops, forgot to mention.  We went into the Apple Store on Sunday -- not a big one but at one of the largest malls in the country, so not teeny tiny -- and guess what.  Forget going to the Apple Store without a Genius Bar appointment!  The first available appointment at either that one or the next closest store was ... Wednesday!  

Lovely to see Angela Arehndts in her see-through pajamas raincoat talk about how wonderful the new Stores -- they aren't to be called that anymore but I forget the new name -- will be, but when you actually get there it is like a scene from Hieronymous Bosch's Hell.  "Oh, we had no idea we would have so many people come in to talk with the Genius Bar (still called that BTW) when they got their new iPhone 8 and Watch 3, but if we hired any more Geniuses, well, you know, it's not like we're selling millions of these phones and making billions of dollars on it.  Oh, woops, wait!  We are!
    It depends. Sometimes I can go in and just ask about a problem and someone is with me in a few ninutes. My daughter brought an iMac that got broken when the office cat jumped on the table and knocked it over. They took it in for repair right away. I had a problem with my Apple Watch not syncing with my new iPhone last year, after it worked with my 6+. I went in and explained the issue, and someone helped me right away.

it often has to do with how busy they are, and the particular problem.

you don’t have to be snarky.
    And the other thing about folks at the Genius Bar, being nice instead of an aggressive jerk when seeking help goes a long way toward getting immediate attention. I've seen this time and again. When dealing with other people face to face, smiling and being sympathetic pays off versus yelling or being accusatory. (This isn't aimed at you, Mel)...
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 116
    IPhone 7. No battery issues at all. As good or better than iOS10. As one person noted, wait 24-48 hours before making any judgements. There is for sure some housekeeping going on in the background for a while.
    propodwatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 116

dewme said:
    My original Apple Watch battery was typically at 60% or greater charge at the end of the day. After mowing half my my lawn yesterday it was down to 10%. I see there is a setting on the Watch app on iPhone under General called Workout Power Saving Mode that turns off the heart rate sensor during walking/running activities. Even though this seems rather odd from a functionality perspective, since it's negating a useful feature, I'll try turning that on when I mow the second half today and see how it does. I'm surprised Apple doesn't offer a Turn Off All Watch Features setting to achieve maximum power savings (just kidding). 

After spending >30 years in software, product, and systems development I've never been more convinced than I am now that modern software complexity has far exceeded the ability of human programmers to write reliable code anymore. Too much software has turned into over-featured mega-bloated demoware that contains a small fraction of practical usefulness. Sure, we now have animated emojis to render our ready-to-explode foreheads, bulging neck veins, and bloodshot eyes that reflect our physical reaction to yet another piece of buggy software failing us when it shouldn't, but what about making basic stuff like iCloud syncing reliable enough to always trust, allowing work essential devices like phones and watches last a full day of work, and utilitarian software that doesn't have to be updated every two days? I won't even get into security issues... Very timely article in The Atlantic today about this topic. Yeah, we've seen it all before and nothing really changes. We're still crash test dummies for the next round of betas masquerading as products. But sure don't those augmented reality demos and other new feature unveilings look really sweet - on stage.
    As a software developer with 20 years experience, I'm not panicking. Bugs happen, have always happened, will always happen. IMO you're just getting older and your view is becoming more cynical. Happens. 

Our devices are amazing miracles of ability and I'd never go back to dumb feature phones. I get all day battery and am fine with it; until humanity invents new battery tech that's about all we can hope for. Thankfully I live in civilization and there are wall outlets anywhere I need to be should I do something particularly taxing.
    edited September 2017 pscooter63shark5150watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 116
    sog35 said:

Not that you have the authority or credibility to diagnose someone with a mental disorder... You need FAR more symptoms to diagnose someone as anything; far more than just a flip-flopping of attitudes (for example, that is also common in borderline personality disorder).

Also, these diagnoses are defined by the DSM committee, not by science.

Further, no science has ever described any medical cause to support the notion of "medicating" people to "treat" such disorders. "Meds" aren't a fix for behavioral issues. Therapy is, as well as a release from whatever continuing toxic life issues caused these behaviors to develop in the first place (typically starting in childhood and continuing throughout life by being born into and guided into toxic life situations, or via later traumatic experiences).
  • Reply 56 of 116
    Having email issue on 7+. When phone home screen is locked (sleeping) and email arrives on mail app the text is huge. I know can turn it off but I like to press down to use 3d touch. Prior to iOS 11 worked fine now does not. 
  • Reply 57 of 116
    back on point...

It fixed the mail app banner bug.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 116
    razorpit said:
    sog35 said:

I sometimes have apps taking forever to open and rotation issues on iOS 10. Your battery life is really down by that much?

On the iPhone 5s I have, Yes. 30%-40% is right in there.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 59 of 116
    foggyhill said:
    razorpit said:
    Are the battery issues as bad as what you read on other sites? I have a 6S+ and original Apple Watch. I want to upgrade, but can't afford to loose battery performance like some claim. The phone is not a big deal, I have times that it can charge, but the watch is obviously much more difficult to find a time and place to charge.
    What other site, the people hitching about battery life in the first 48h like every other day. I got the 6s and battery life isaok. Funny how you don’t hear about those whiners in bets despite hundred of thousands being involved. Because people in beta know not to whine in the first 48h unlike the dweebs.

if yoûre talking of that pos MacRumors site, I’d. Wager most people whining don’t actually own an iPhone...
    Right, blame the users instead of blaming Apple for a self-inflicted injury that comes EVERY release because Apple themselves don't address this issue!
  • Reply 60 of 116
    On my iPhone 6S Plus, I've noticed dramatically decreased battery life - more so than previous updates on this or past iPhones.

On my iPad Air 2, I've noticed rotation sticking that requires a reboot.