Apple says fix coming for 'crackling' iPhone 8 audio

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36

dysamoria said:
    tbsteph said:
    I am glad I did not buy this "quality" product from Apple. There is always a bug or problem with anything new from Apple. For the amount of money customers pay for this "phone" it should work with no problems. This proves that Apple's quality control is non existent. Tim is this what you mean that the iPhone's cost was "value priced for the technology it provides"? Apple should make sure the phone part works, instead of AR or the great camera, which makes this product nothing more than an expensive broken toy. This is a great disappointment.  
    Life isn’t perfect. Apple could get there product quality to 99.99% and still some would experience a problem. 
    I'd love to see 99.99%. Hell, I'd love to see 90% correct functionality. 80% functionality isn't acceptable and the number is dropping every release.
    Made up nonsense on your part. Cite your numbers, please, otherwise you're just making shit up again.
    Of course they're made-up numbers, bro. Same as the guy I replied to. Quality has been slipping since 2013. I've posted about countless bugs in iOS that were introduced in 2013 with iOS 7, which are still present, after FIVE MAJOR RELEASES (including iOS 7 which introduced them). I don't have to try to prove anything to you because I get the impression you're not interested in seeing that which you don't wish to see. It would be a waste of my time. I'd happily send you a link to all of my feedback to Apple if there was some mechanism to do that, but there isn't. 
  • Reply 22 of 36

mike54 said:
    There is no denying that Apple's quality control has changed, for the worse. Maybe not too much at this stage or not too alarming, but clearly the momentum is there, and once it get going it is harder to turn the ship around. Tim Cook may need to take some time out to take a step back and look at it from a distance, to recognise whats is happening before it starts to run away on its own. Its very easy to dismiss it at this stage, and that's the danger.
    What? When has Apple (or any company for that matter) released software that was bug free? The internet just magnifies issues that affect a small number of people.
    Who's asking for bug free? I'm asking that they actually address known bugs within a major release. Not ignore them across five major releases. I'm asking that Apple returns to prior quality control, design, and testing standards that have clearly degraded since 2013.

Actually, since the world is basically expected to rely on computers so much and so often, maybe software SHOULD be far more reliable than it is. If software needs special pleading to excuse its universally recognized "not bug free" reality, maybe it's not yet mature enough to be relying on it as a civilization.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    maestro64 said:
    I am glad I did not buy this "quality" product from Apple. There is always a bug or problem with anything new from Apple. For the amount of money customers pay for this "phone" it should work with no problems. This proves that Apple's quality control is non existent. Tim is this what you mean that the iPhone's cost was "value priced for the technology it provides"? Apple should make sure the phone part works, instead of AR or the great camera, which makes this product nothing more than an expensive broken toy. This is a great disappointment.  
    How many products have you shipped? Lots of critics with expectations of perfection who never designed, built and shipped a product in their life. 

Until you walk in those shoes you might want to be less critical, since your creator my judge you by the same standard.
    It does not matter if I shipped any products or not. For the amount of money Apple wants for this product the customer should expect a degree of quality. The walking in someone's shoes statement is a little silly. This has nothing to do with religion. It is about money and the return on your investment. Plain and simple.
  • Reply 24 of 36

It can't be a disappointment to you if you don't even have one. I don't know which knockoff brand you champion, but there is no such thing as software without bugs. This is what I do for a living and there have always been bugs and will always be bugs. The difference is, Apple fixes them and supports its hardware for years to come, while your Android knockoffs are abandoned one week after release.
    No, I did not buy an iPhone 8. I have many Apple products and have experienced these "software bugs" before. I am expressing my dissatisfaction with how Apple tries to deflect these problems as if it is business as usual. These products are not "value priced" as Tim Cook claims. The iPhones are expensive items and should have been inspected by quality control much better. You support Apple so blindly that U can not see the obvious. The iPhone 8 has a problem.   
  • Reply 25 of 36

iqatedo said:
    I am glad I did not buy this "quality" product from Apple. There is always a bug or problem with anything new from Apple. ... This proves that Apple's quality control is non existent.
    Neither statement quoted is true. Just for the record.
    It is my observation and opinion. Just for the record. 
  • Reply 26 of 36
    jd_in_sb said:
    So the iPhone 8 sounds like a long distance call from 1972.
    Retro is in! Why did they do it? COURAGE!
  • Reply 27 of 36
    This proves that Apple's quality control is non existent. [...] Apple should make sure the phone part works, instead of AR or the great camera, which makes this product nothing more than an expensive broken toy.
    Two comments in and already at the dumbest thing I've read all day. 

DISLIKE BUTTON
  • Reply 28 of 36

tzeshan said:
    iPhone 8 and 8 Plus seems the worse quality iPhones. We must appreciate the great leadership of Tim Cook who could not maintain the quality of which Apple is praised for.  Instead he place a lot of attention on political issues which has nothing to do with Apple.  
    Starting to think you're one of the people who'd be working 12 year old kids overtime at one of Apple's suppliers had Cook not stopped you.
  • Reply 29 of 36

It can't be a disappointment to you if you don't even have one. I don't know which knockoff brand you champion, but there is no such thing as software without bugs. This is what I do for a living and there have always been bugs and will always be bugs. The difference is, Apple fixes them and supports its hardware for years to come, while your Android knockoffs are abandoned one week after release.
    No, I did not buy an iPhone 8. I have many Apple products and have experienced these "software bugs" before. I am expressing my dissatisfaction with how Apple tries to deflect these problems as if it is business as usual. These products are not "value priced" as Tim Cook claims. The iPhones are expensive items and should have been inspected by quality control much better. You support Apple so blindly that U can not see the obvious. The iPhone 8 has a problem.   
    You mean the problem that they've identified in software that affects a small number of users that they're actively working to remedy quickly? How is that not business as usual?
  • Reply 30 of 36
    dysamoria said:
    maestro64 said:
    How many products have you shipped? Lots of critics with expectations of perfection who never designed, built and shipped a product in their life. 

Until you walk in those shoes you might want to be less critical, since your creator my judge you by the same standard.
    Apple has shipped better product itself. They set a much higher standard for everyone, has since dropped that standard, and is headed for Microsoft-levels of dominance with pooor quality product.

There is absolutely no need for you to throw around the capitalist worshipper meme of "you're not allowed to complain unless you're a business owner too". In fact, that kind of pleading to cut off consumer comment is exactly one of the things wrong with the pathological capitalism that's wrecking American capitalism. It doesn't take being an entrepreneur to recognize problems with products. It does seem to take being an entrepreneur (or a wannabe) to desire to silence legit complaint against very wealthy (favored) corporations in industries that survive via special pleading (by apologists, rather than via quality products) like the computer industry.

My point was if you think it can be done better, then do it yourself, also show me any company who make a product as complicated as Apple products which has far better quality and reliability and customer service.

I have worked in product design and I can tell you as soon as you think your done and found all the problems and fix them, then comes along a use case which no one thought of, or a configuration which is not easily replicated. You also made the statement it is getting far worse. I do not believe that to be the case. The fact the issue which have arisen are not on every product and are intermittent tell me it is tolerance and probably a configuration issue. Apple may build and test a few hundred to thousand devices when testing, and when you start building millions of something a whole new set of issue show up. True tolerance issue do not really show up until you get into the millions of units.

So you want perfection, but do not understand what perfection takes and costs. You think apple product are expensive now, wait to you see the cost of perfections.

Here is the difference between Apple and everyone else, They hear the feedback, they acknowledge it and when they have fix they fix it. But some issue are simply user errors and those people expect to be heard just like the ones with valid issues which in the real world it does not work that way.

fastasleep
  • Reply 31 of 36
    maestro64 said:

It does not matter if I shipped any products or not. For the amount of money Apple wants for this product the customer should expect a degree of quality. The walking in someone's shoes statement is a little silly. This has nothing to do with religion. It is about money and the return on your investment. Plain and simple.

it was not religious, I choose my word correctly, creator could be your mom and dad...and I did mean it in the broadest sense so not to offend anyone, but obviously you miss that subtle point.

Read my other post above, you're expecting perfection, and you're complaining about costs, you definitely can not afford perfections then. Long and short, no mater the amount of time you spend testing there is no way to find all the issues when you use case of the product is so complex and diverse. You act like Apple shipped the product knowing ahead of time these problems existed and did not care.

As much as I hate the Google and Microsoft product release model which is let end user beta test their product and tell them what they got wrong and you can always fix it in the next release. I also recognize at some point you have to ship a product and realize you can never find all the issues and you have to let the users tell you what you may not have got perfect. Even with Apple high quality standards, I never update my software or hardware until the public weights in on the issues they are finding. I give it a few months and then make the transition fully knowing what to expect.

• Reply 32 of 36
    This proves that Apple's quality control is non existent. [...] Apple should make sure the phone part works, instead of AR or the great camera, which makes this product nothing more than an expensive broken toy.
    Two comments in and already at the dumbest thing I've read all day. 

DISLIKE BUTTON
    That is your right to disagree.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    maestro64 said:
    maestro64 said:

it was not religious, I choose my word correctly, creator could be your mom and dad...and I did mean it in the broadest sense so not to offend anyone, but obviously you miss that subtle point.

Read my other post above, you're expecting perfection, and you're complaining about costs, you definitely can not afford perfections then. Long and short, no mater the amount of time you spend testing there is no way to find all the issues when you use case of the product is so complex and diverse. You act like Apple shipped the product knowing ahead of time these problems existed and did not care.

As much as I hate the Google and Microsoft product release model which is let end user beta test their product and tell them what they got wrong and you can always fix it in the next release. I also recognize at some point you have to ship a product and realize you can never find all the issues and you have to let the users tell you what you may not have got perfect. Even with Apple high quality standards, I never update my software or hardware until the public weights in on the issues they are finding. I give it a few months and then make the transition fully knowing what to expect. 

I never said perfection. My response was "the customer should expect a degree of quality." Apple did knowingly ship the product with these problems. Tim learned from the Microsoft product release model. 

• Reply 34 of 36

You mean the problem that they've identified in software that affects a small number of users that they're actively working to remedy quickly? How is that not business as usual?
    Apple did not identify the problem. A lot of customers complained about it because Apple does not admit to any errors. Only when they have to. When is this remedy coming? In a month, week or never? It is business as usual  because Apple always screws up somewhere and tries to "fix" it in a software update. Apple has been doing this for years.
  • Reply 35 of 36

Apple did not identify the problem. A lot of customers complained about it because Apple does not admit to any errors. Only when they have to. When is this remedy coming? In a month, week or never? It is business as usual  because Apple always screws up somewhere and tries to "fix" it in a software update. Apple has been doing this for years.
    They said that they did. Who are you to say they didn't? FTFA:

Apple said in a statement that the issue only comes up in a “small number” of cases and that the company is working on a software update to fix the problem. “We are aware of the issue which is affecting customers in a small number of cases,” an Apple spokesperson said. “Our team is at work on a fix, which will be included in an upcoming software release.”
    So, it's there in plain English that they've identified the problem, are actively working on a fix, and history would suggest we'd see it fixed in a matter of weeks or a month or whatever it takes to roll it into the next update where it makes sense to do so. 

Apple always has bugs. All software always has bugs. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.