Amazon reveals new Echo devices including Echo Spot, Echo Plus & upgraded $99 standard Ech...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2017
In a special event, Amazon on Wednesday unveiled several new Echo products, led by an improved $99 standard Echo, the Echo Plus, and the display-equipped Echo Spot.

The second-generation flagship Echo.
The second-generation flagship Echo.

The updated standard Echo, shipping Oct. 31 for $99.99, includes dedicated woofer and tweeter units, Dolby-certified sound, and better far-field microphone technology. It comes in six different colors, with wood, fabric, or metal shells -- wood or metal units cost $119.99.

The Echo Plus.
The Echo Plus.

The Echo Plus, also due Oct. 31, shares similar features but also operates as a ZigBee hub, allowing it to quickly discover and configure compatible devices. While the device will eventually cost $164.98, Amazon is temporarily selling it for $149.99, with a Philips Hue bulb included as a bonus. Black, white, and silver colors are available.

The Echo Spot.
The Echo Spot.

The $129.99 Echo Spot is similar to the existing Echo Show but much smaller, using a round 2.5-inch display. Like the Echo Dot, it includes just a basic internal speaker, requiring external Bluetooth or 3.5mm speakers for higher-quality sound. Show-level features include clock faces, video calls and clips, and visual feedback such as lyrics or the ability to stream from compatible security cameras. The product will ship Dec. 19 in black and white versions.

Smaller announcements include $20 Echo Buttons, used for things like trivia games with an Echo, and the $34.99 Echo Connect coming Dec. 13, which bridges a landline phone with an Echo to allow voice-controlled speakerphone calls, without recipients having to own an Alexa-enabled device.

Amazon has also announced a new Fire TV, supporting 4K, HDR10, and Dolby Atmos, but shrunk to the size of a dongle. At $69.99, the device could undercut the Apple TV 4K, which costs over twice as much.

The higher-end Echos could pose a challenge to Apple's Siri-equipped HomePod, which while offering superior sound technology will also sell for $349 when it arrives in December.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    All intriguing stuff.

None of it appeals to me. YMMV. 
    jbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 46
    It is not long until Amazon will start giving their Echo products away. Perfect Trojan horse.
    doozydozenpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 46
    The Echo Spot sounds bad, the screen is way too small, and is over-priced.

My brother bought two Echo Show devices recently. They don't sound any better than my original Echo. In fact, they project sound only in one direction instead of 360° and the screen is too small to be read from across the room.

The new Echo and Echo Plus are priced more reasonably. I bought my three Echo devices for under $100 each over the last year. I'm not compelled to upgrade anytime soon.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 46
    the echo spot is like of scary, it kind of makes me feel like it is looking at me... its kind of like the all seeing eye.
    edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 46
    For 99 Echo is a cool product, I use it mainly as speaker, weather and to forecast my commute, something Siri still can't do. I know it's hard to live with the idea that somebody else makes a better and cheaper product than Apple. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 6 of 46
    Echo and Echo+,
    S8 and S8+,
    who started this plus thing?? Everyone has pluses now, 
    What about say Echo and Super Echo instead?

doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 46
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    ben20 said:
    For 99 Echo is a cool product, I use it mainly as speaker, weather and to forecast my commute, something Siri still can't do. I know it's hard to live with the idea that somebody else makes a better and cheaper product than Apple. 
    How does it forecast your commute?

I have an echo but hate it when the bridge connction is lost.   EchoPlus sounds interesting.   Amazon is killing google on the home front.   apple had competition. They really need to kick Siri up a couple notches.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 46
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Echo and Echo+,
    S8 and S8+,
    who started this plus thing?? Everyone has pluses now, 
    What about say Echo and Super Echo instead?

The soon to be released Huawei Mate 10 is rumored to be renamed Mate X.  The sole purpose is to imitate Apple iPhone X. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 46
    jason98 said:
    It is not long until Amazon will start giving their Echo products away. Perfect Trojan horse.
    While I think you mean literally, the figurative is certainly accurate. Amazon wants you to have multiple, easy, and fast ways of ordering stuff. It actually is quite clever. I predict they will start bundling these things. Get a free Alexa device when you order xxx amount of overpriced things. Or a fire tablet free when you buy xxx number of overpriced books or magazines. 

You actually see this now on Amazon: to get the best prices, you have to subscribe. Sure, you can cancel later, but then prices go up? I use Amazon a lot - but the pricing is...unpredictable.

Many people got rich in the gold rushes not digging gold, but selling expedition supplies. Amazon will make money of the sales these devices generate. Give them away to make that happen. 
  • Reply 10 of 46
    ben20 said:
    For at least a year Maps has estimated time for your next trip on the lock/widget screen. 
    doozydozenjkichlinecalipscooter63fastasleepbrucemczroger73watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 46
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I have an Echo Dot and Alexa, while interesting and helpful, is certainly not any better or worse than Siri. In fact I would welcome a standalone Siri box along similar lines. In fact I will probably start using my current iPhone 6 as that Siri box when it is replaced with the iPhone 8 or X.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 46
    If I want a hands-free TV experience, it seems like an Echo Spot and Fire TV would be a pretty capable and comparatively inexpensive solution.

I have a 3rd gen Apple TV, so no Siri. Those of you who have newer ones, do you use Siri at all? How well does it work?

Does anyone here have both a Siri-capable Apple TV and an Alexa-enabled TV product? Is one better than the other? Easier? More accurate?
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Well, great, I can't unsee any of those abominations.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 46

I have a 3rd gen Apple TV, so no Siri. Those of you who have newer ones, do you use Siri at all? How well does it work?

Does anyone here have both a Siri-capable Apple TV and an Alexa-enabled TV product? Is one better than the other? Easier? More accurate?
    on AppleTV I does use Siri to find shows, works okay

>Does anyone here have both a Siri-capable Apple TV and an Alexa-enabled TV product? Is one better than the other? Easier? More accurate?
    If had had to answer in one word then Alexa (is better) But the use cases are different ..Siri assumes you have a screen to look-at...so it is more about searching the Web. Alexa assumes no screen and it set up for very common questions...and in general that makes your life easier. Also, since Alexa is always connected thus the delays are shorter. Be interesting to see how well Alexa works in the car...then it will have the same delays as Siri in that it will have to establish a connection.

• Reply 15 of 46
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    maestro64 said:
    the echo spot is like of scary, it kind of makes me feel like it is looking at me... its kind of like the all seeing eye.
    Like faceId without the real Security.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    The fabric covered Echo devices may be quite popular with cats.
    bageljoeydoozydozenfastasleepzroger73watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 46
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Tim Cook still has no idea to effectively compete Amazon with the much delayed HomePod and not very competitive HomeKit. But he prefers to spend a lot of attention on political issues. 
  • Reply 18 of 46
    My son saved up to get the Echo last Prime Day. He loves it. 
    I think it's cool enough, but I'm waiting to see the Home Pod. Not sure if I could drop that $$$, tho...
  • Reply 19 of 46
    Well, great, I can't unsee any of those abominations.
    looks like the “throw enough shit” approach to product design...
    watto_cobraking editor the grate
  • Reply 20 of 46

tzeshan said:
    Tim Cook still has no idea to effectively compete Amazon with the much delayed HomePod and not very competitive HomeKit. But he prefers to spend a lot of attention on political issues. 
    More bullshit. You don’t like gays, right? Get over it. Cook is personally leading the most successful public corp in history, and he’s gay, and stands for gay rights. Got it. 

HomeKit is much better than the hodgepodge of insecure IoT devices sold to the knockoffs crowd. I use the Apple Home app exclusively and don’t even need to use the hardware provider apps any longer. The automation scenes are great and using Siri is easy. 

But you misunderstand HomePod anyway, it’s not a dopey assistant, it’s a high quality music speaker, and I fully intend to place one in the master bedroom or bath. Tech press said it sounded much better than the dopey assistant speakers. 
    mwhitefastasleeprob bonnereightzerowatto_cobra