Video: The best wireless chargers for iPhone 8 and iPhone X

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2017
The launch of the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus mark the debut of Qi wireless inductive charging in Apple's products. But which charging pad is the best option for your new iPhone? AppleInsider gives you the scoop.

For more reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Will the more powerful 15 watt charges work?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Looking at the RAVPower stand as a possible car-mount charger. I haven't used wireless charging but read that when charging, the two coils (charger and phone) act like a magnet, holding the phone to the charger. Is this correct? If so, would the RAVPower hold the phone while mounted on a car's dash? I was looking at the iOttie car mounts. Maybe car mount chargers could be your next review.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Wired whatever is much better than wireless whenever possible. Wireless charging is a huge waste of energy and environment aggression. We are killing planet Earth!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Why didn’t you guys include the ikea chargers. I think a lot of people would be interested in that. 
    gutengel
  • Reply 5 of 9
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/furniture-reviews/ikea-wireless-charging-furniture-review/

From single charger pucks to triple versions, to lamps with qi charger to a nightstand...

Not sure if Ikea has upped the charging power since that review... but for the nightstand it doen't matter - and they have a triple charger option ... and all also have usb outlet for cable charging also, which is thoughtful.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    cjcoops said:
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/furniture-reviews/ikea-wireless-charging-furniture-review/

From single charger pucks to triple versions, to lamps with qi charger to a nightstand...

Not sure if Ikea has upped the charging power since that review... but for the nightstand it doen't matter - and they have a triple charger option ... and all also have usb outlet for cable charging also, which is thoughtful.
    I sent a request for information several days ago asking who actually makes the internal charger. I got a response which basically said "the IKEA US Customer Support Center is not able to provide more detailed information regarding the design and production process of products or any further information about the designers themselves to the general public. Our IKEA JYSSEN Charger, # 302.918.75, is Qi-certified and compatible with all Qi-certified smartphones and devices."

I was looking at the table mount popup charger to add to cabinets I already have. They did give some technical information:

Max. power induction charging: 5W.
    1 USB port.
    Voltage USB port: 5Vdc.
    Current USB port: Max. 2000mA.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    With a new iPhone costing $500+, are we really going to quibble about saving $20 or $30 for a cheaper wireless charger?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    bluefire1 said:
    With a new iPhone costing $500+, are we really going to quibble about saving $20 or $30 for a cheaper wireless charger?
    If you want wireless charging, the cost of entry starts at $699.

I picked up a couple cheap JETech Qi chargers on eBay for $10 each. They only output 5V/1A, which is fine for nightstand use. I found that a thicker case will cause slower charging, so I'm using a slimmer case. It has an idle mode, which turns off charging when it detects the iPhone is full, which seems to work. I haven't noticed my iPhone 8 Plus being warm when I take it off of the charger in the morning, which tells me the charging has stopped for a little while. A friend of mine has a charger that looks identical to these, without a name on it, and he said his cheap Samsung (I think Galaxy J) gets pretty warm. It's anyone's guess what the issue could be. He also mentioned the last update for his phone removed the fast charging feature. He believes it's because of the Note 7 issues. I nodded my head in agreement. 
  • Reply 9 of 9
    rob53 said:
    Looking at the RAVPower stand as a possible car-mount charger. I haven't used wireless charging but read that when charging, the two coils (charger and phone) act like a magnet, holding the phone to the charger. Is this correct? If so, would the RAVPower hold the phone while mounted on a car's dash? I was looking at the iOttie car mounts. Maybe car mount chargers could be your next review.
    I have a magnet mount in my car. Just for giggles, I placed my iPhone 8 Plus on it, and there was some pull, but not enough to hold it on its own. It may be possible the one you're talking about would be sufficient. The Qi charging pad I have doesn't create a magnetic pull, meaning my iPhone lifts right off. Scosche has one on their website. It looks interesting.