How to set separate controls for left and right AirPods in Apple's iOS 11

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2020
Installing iOS 11 also updates the functionality of connected AirPods, giving users the ability to set separate, customizable controls for each wireless earpiece.

Apple's AirPods are more functional in iOS 11, thanks to new options found in the Settings app.

To customize the AirPods after updating to iOS 11, open Settings on a connected iPhone or iPad, then choose Bluetooth. Find your AirPods in the list and tap the "i" button to the right while connected.

There you'll find new control options, including the ability to set different controls for the left and right AirPod. For example, the left AirPod could be set to play or pause a track, while the right one could invoke Siri.

Each command is invoked by double-tapping the respective earpiece.

Digging deeper into the settings, users will find that there are entirely two new options for AirPod double-tap controls in iOS 11: "Next Track" and "Previous Track." This joins the existing controls of "Siri," "Play/Pause," and "Off."

Apple has been gradually adding new features to its AirPods since they debuted late last year, including a "Find My AirPods" feature that debuted in iOS 10.3 in January. Whenever AirPods connect to an iPhone or Mac, the finder feature queries the host device's positioning hardware to log the earbuds' location.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Cool.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I LOVE my AirPods, but I avoid using the double-tap feature because I don't like the thumping sound/feel in my ear. I wish they used "Hey Siri" instead.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    mike1 said:
    Cool.
    You stole what I was going to say ;-)

I hope they add volume control options to the list next.  I hate (to the point of never doing it) changing the volume using Siri commands in any sort of public setting.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    A couple of phone functions come to mind as well... Mute (toggle), and Hang Up.  Granted, the microphonic acoustics could be a challenge here.

Regardless, THIS is why I choose Apple products... not only will my investments be supported (some manufacturers can’t even manage that minimal expectation), but enhanced over time.  The AirPod experience just gets better and better.
    equality72521watto_cobrastantheman
  • Reply 5 of 14
    To customize the AirPods after updating to iOS 11, open Settings on a connected iPhone or iPad, then choose Bluetooth. Find your AirPods in the list and tap the "i" button to the right while connected.

Correction: iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch

stantheman
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Touching your antennas? ..no A/R based controls? @0:32 (somewhere Ive is rolling on the floor laughing soooo loud)
    dewme
  • Reply 7 of 14
    What’s needed most is the volume control. Triple-tapping on the right earphone raises the volume. Triple-tapping on the left earphone lowers the volume. 
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 8 of 14
    A couple of phone functions come to mind as well... Mute (toggle), and Hang Up. 
    Double tap hangs up an active call. 
    stanthemanpscooter63
  • Reply 9 of 14
    That looked like a dinoasaur in the thumbnail.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    sirozha said:
    What’s needed most is the volume control. Triple-tapping on the right earphone raises the volume. Triple-tapping on the left earphone lowers the volume. 
    Tap, wait for Siri, then say volume up or down, rewind or jump forward by X-seconds or Y-minutes, request a definition, etc. That approach is not useful (as your triple-tap would be) when one must maintain absolute silence while also listening to audio through AirPods, but that may not be the typical case, anyway. A voice interface is easier, commands are more memorable, versatility is far greater and the eardrum is assaulted less than a series of predefined/memorized taps. Besides, we already have a device with a finger-based user interface: iPhone. AirPods emphasize an audible interface. We should use it.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Controlling volume with Siri is not optimal. If you are on a phone call, are you going to talk to Siri to increase volume?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Adding sophisticated graphic equalizers for each earpiece via an iPhone app would be great for the hearing impaired. 
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Obviously the battery life in these things keep Siri commands to a minimum but could do with some more, hopefully with a further update or AirPods 2