Bootcamp Gaming

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
I have this dream, and I'm wondering if it's even remotely feasible:

1. Buy a 27'' 5K iMac

2. Customize it with:

The best CPU (4.2GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz) 
The best GPU (Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB video memory)
The smallest RAM (8GB)
2TB Fusion Drive

3. Upgrade the RAM myself (thanks to the user-accessible RAM port)

4. Run Bootcamp and play PC games like there's no tomorrow

...right?? Especially with the recent official macOS support for eGPUs, this feels like a perfect solution. But I'm wondering if anyone has any experience gaming with Bootcamp on a Mac. I'd love to have the best of both worlds, but I'm wondering if it's too good to be true.

(I KNOW I COULD BUILD A GAMING PC FOR HALF THE COST. But it wouldn't give me the fantastic Apple ecosystem I know and love. Now, I could jump from design work in macOS, and gaming in Windows)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
     It's Windows. It will do exactly what you want it do to, as proposed. Good to go.
    bauerrules516
  • Reply 2 of 5
    As long as you’re fine with knowing that once the 580 is obsolete that you won’t be able to play newer games, have at it. It’ll be a fine machine for OS X work and a fine machine for Windows games. That’s basically how I use Windows on my Mac Pro (with the occasional Windows-only utility to help my workflow).
    bauerrules516
  • Reply 3 of 5
    As long as you’re fine with knowing that once the 580 is obsolete that you won’t be able to play newer games, have at it. It’ll be a fine machine for OS X work and a fine machine for Windows games. That’s basically how I use Windows on my Mac Pro (with the occasional Windows-only utility to help my workflow).
    (I'm a newbie so correct me if I'm wrong) Won't an eGPU allow me to effectively "upgrade" my GPU?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Won't an eGPU allow me to effectively "upgrade" my GPU?
    Oh, yes! I'd forgotten all about that. You'll have to check the bandwidth of Thunderbolt 3 against PCIe 4 (and eventually 5), but you shouldn't have much trouble even with cards in the future.
    bauerrules516