*** Poll: Image Signatures

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Definitely not.

There is no need to re-iterate your handle in some Photoshop filter orgy. It's posted in plain letters to the left of your post.

If you have a cute message you like to share at the end of all your posts, put it in text.

This is the way AI has been run. Let the other Mac boards have big obnoxious signatures.

Be creative with your words.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 83
    bump

guys, keep this at the top. I want to have this decision made tonight.

thanks
  • Reply 23 of 83
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    Yes I think we should have them.

This thread makes me want to call the whaaaaaaaaaambulance
  • Reply 24 of 83
    kaboomkaboom Posts: 286member
    No, no and no.

And furthermore, no.

Text sigs show real creativity.

Plus, pic sigs on the current color scheme are just ugly.

It works ok on a white background like MacNN but not here, and I'm not willing to sacrifice the board color scheme just to get pic sigs.

The previous statements are my opinion and are therefore correct.
  • Reply 25 of 83
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    I say yes. Have similar requirements to MacNN. It makes it a lot easier to tell people apart (I tend to learn people by signature, as it provides some unique method of knowing who you're talking to.)

Amorya
  • Reply 26 of 83
    Maybe they should be passed through a judge like someone said earlier. I think mine goes with the design and fits the size requirements.
  • Reply 26 of 83
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    No.

Keep your fora tidy.

But now you know why the Aqua team limit one's options ...
  • Reply 28 of 83
    [quote]Originally posted by Synotic:

<strong>Maybe they should be passed through a judge like someone said earlier. I think mine goes with the design and fits the size requirements.</strong><hr></blockquote>

How mature are people generally on this board? (I'm a newbie). 'Cos you'd have arguments... If the community could handle that, I'm in, and I'll happily change my sig if it falls out of requirements. Although I'd MUCH rather be allowed an image

Amorya
  • Reply 29 of 83
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Amorya, for the most part people are pretty mature around here.
  • Reply 30 of 83
    this board for approving them is good...

if we do decide to allow them, that may be the ticket. Some of the current crop are a lot gaudier than others, and they do clutter the forums a bit. Text signatures are, IMO, a better option .. but it's totally up to you guys.

• Reply 31 of 83
    I intend to make the new rules tonight at midnight- the results of this poll by then will determine which way we go.
  • Reply 32 of 83
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>Amorya, for the most part people are pretty mature around here.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's good. A committee might work then. Maybe you could have a preference in your personal options, to say "show images in sigs", so if you don't want them, you can turn them off, and the people who want to see them can? Maybe we could all add alt text too, for the people with it turned off?

Amorya

(I'll give up arguing now... it's not life-or-death important to me *g*)
  • Reply 33 of 83
    Yes.

I have to agree with Amorya on the point that graphical signatures can allow you to easily distinguish one person's post from another. Besides, isn't the Mac known as a great "graphic arts" platform? Although I strongly believe there should be size restrictions, we should certainly be able to express our personality and creativity in a little sig like the few you've seen in this thread.

[quote]Bright and animated signatures distract attention from the posts. I say if you approve images sigs, they should have to pass a committee before they can be used.<hr></blockquote>I'll change two words: Bright and animated GUIs distract attention from the content. I'll let you figure out what I mean by that.
  • Reply 34 of 83
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    The fact that AI has always disallowed graphic sigs has to count for at least 20 votes.

That's just the way this board is supposed to be run. An influx of MacNN newfies shouldn't change that.
  • Reply 35 of 83
    I honestly think that that committee deal is just a disaster waiting to happen. Most people here are too nice to turn down a picture just because it's gaudy or distracting, and therefore it'll just be a piece of toothless beurocracy. Or else they'll run into one that they don't like and if they reject it the person who wants to use it will point at an equally ugly one that got passed and throw a shit fit at the Nazi picture censoring board.

It's a bad idea.
  • Reply 36 of 83
    fiatfiat Posts: 13member
    Since the forum is fast enough now. I vote yes.
  • Reply 37 of 83
    I don't like them. They're distracting, take time to load, and just mess up the visuals of the board.

I agree about the committee not going to work out either.

If you really want to show off something you made, have a thread for creative expressions.

and I learn people by their login name and posting style.
  • Reply 38 of 83
    dvddvd Posts: 45member
    YES! i usually remember poeple by their sigs..
  • Reply 39 of 83
    Add a requirement. Make it so they can only be grayscale, no color at all. That would look rather nice in the current forum.
  • Reply 40 of 83
    I'm a 56k (48k) user and I say YES, because I have one and because if you have a decent browser the image will get cached.