Apple reportedly 'looking into' pair of iPhone 8 Plus with split screen from swollen batte...

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2017
After reports circulated on social media about two iPhone 8 Plus exhibiting a swollen battery out of the millions shipped, Apple is reportedly looking into the situation surrounding the accounts and the phones themselves -- as it nearly always does.

The two reports both clearly depict a swollen battery pushing the iPhone screen out of its housing. One user reported it happening while being charged claiming that an official cable and power adapter were being used, and the other account noted that it was received from Apple directly with the screen already popped out.

According to The Independent, Apple is "looking into" the issue -- a fact confirmed by AppleInsider on Saturday morning. But, a source within Apple not authorized to speak on behalf of the company informed us that Apple investigates swollen batteries even on older phones brought into Apple retail stores as a matter of course.

A quick poll on Saturday morning of five Apple Genius Bars that we have worked with in the past show zero iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus models brought in for service with a swollen battery such as that displayed in the pair of reports.

Media, and the internet, are latching onto the story as an imminent problem, akin to the Samsung Galaxy Note 8. However, at this time, this appears to be nothing more than an "infant failure" of both devices, assuming the accounts given by the users are correct and complete.

In 2016, prior to the Galaxy Note 7 debacle, the lithium ion battery immediate failure rate on the average was one in about one million cells without mishandling. So, at present, assuming that both failures were manufacturing defects and not from abuse in shipping or by the purchaser, the failure rate is still well within the statistical norm even assuming that there are more than 20 times the number of incidents.

For reference, the reported failure rate on the Galaxy Note 7 exceeded 1 in 20,000 -- and linked to both battery production problems, and a design problem with the phone.

AppleInsider will continue to monitor the situation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    BatteryGate!!!!
    xzucornchipnetmageboltsfan17jony0
  • Reply 2 of 48
    macxpress said:
    BatteryGate!!!
    Not really.
    xzuStrangeDaysthinkman@chartermi.netwatto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 48
    macxpress said:
    BatteryGate!!!
    Not really.
    It was a joke....you must be new here?
    calixzuvukasikanetmagepscooter63boltsfan17[Deleted User]jony0
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Every time I think about it, I am again astounded at Apple's ability to produce 10s of millions of devices, even more so how accurate they get it. That a couple get into consumers hands with flaws should be expected, and yes, Apple needs to be responsible for them. I think I read somewhere that Apple has mass produced more complex machines than any manufacturer in history. Incredible.
    cornchipnetmageSpamSandwichpscooter6380s_Apple_Guyboltsfan17watto_cobraairnerdjbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 48
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Possibly, fake news to create distraction. Competitors sponsored incident. One can inject moisture to effect battery to get swollen or one in a million battery inside iPhone came from the battery manufacturer already damaged.iPhone 8/Plus has similar manufacturing process.
    vukasikawatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 48
    About batteries: I see a much quicker draining of my battery since I installed iOS 11. And I read on the internet about a survey saying the same is happening everywhere. Though nothing on AI. Wouldn’t that be a true battery gate?
    GeorgeBMac[Deleted User]
  • Reply 7 of 48
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,418member
    Actually, when I got my iPhone 6s, it was not completely "sealed" in, I could see the gap between the display and the rim but when I clamped it together, it clicked very tight and no issues since then. I think that one just went amiss during the final stage of assembly. But now with what I've read about the danger of battery explosion, I wish I could have taken mine back for an exchange to be more safe.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    About batteries: I see a much quicker draining of my battery since I installed iOS 11. And I read on the internet about a survey saying the same is happening everywhere. Though nothing on AI. Wouldn’t that be a true battery gate?
    I experienced the same thing.  I found out that after I installed iOS 11, my mail settings changed to Push which uses more battery.  I changed the settings back and my battery usage went back to what I experienced before the update
    netmageScot1watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 48

And how does AI intend to monitor the situation? Hmmm!?
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Bionic chip needed a breath.  :p
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

And how does AI intend to monitor the situation? Hmmm!?
    The same way we always do. Paying attention, and utilizing sources of our own that we have.
    king editor the gratepscooter63apple jockeywatto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

We don't run many surveys, because the aggrieved generally have a bone to pick, and respond out of proportion.

I can't reproduce any excessive battery drain on my small fleet of devices. My personal SE and 7 Plus have about the same life. 

Plus, this generally happens with every OS revision. After the initial installation, there are refinements to the OS as it goes, restoring things back to normal if one process or the other is a runaway.

But, with everything else, we are paying attention.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 48

My feeling is that any big battery problems is mostly related to fast charging, this thing is just evil to batteries and should only be used in case of emergencies.
    Right... Internet survey... That says everything. There is NO SUCH THING THAT's MEANINGFULL.

Surveys to be meaningful has to sample the overall population of buyers randomly and those that respond must also be uniform (not just people with problems).
    Not only that, the questions must not be leading. It is easy to get whatever response you want from a poll just by changing question order for example.

That's one hell of an issue generally, even done by professionals. But, when you got a self-selected "survey" of aggrieved, sampling goes completely out the window. The person's with the problem or trolls with no phone at all will just make an overwhelming part of the people responding.

Only the "new features" causing a slowdown  part would directly be caused by the new version.

Battery issues are almost always the same, system housekeeping, resyncing after install, redownloading/resyncing of third party apps and third party cloud data, resetting of certain settings to a more battery hungry position and new features were the default setting uses more power (that last one is generally pretty minor).

Often, version 11.0 is more tuned initially to newer devices (that used to be the case in the past). But, lately, that effect has been pretty minor and slowdown has mostly been minor. Compare that to slowdowns on 3GS, 4 and 4s in the past from new versions of IOS like IOS 4 or 7.

If you are worried about battery or bugs or any kind, wait a while so both third party apps and IOS have sorted all their issues; that usually occurs before Christmas.

By forgoing that though you are forgoing security updates for those few months.

edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Get a grip guys.  It's not a failure!!!

It's Apple's new curved screen design and the phone's fanless ventilation feature.  Apple's open and transparent design again being misrepresented by the media.
    king editor the grateGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 15 of 48

We don't run many surveys, because the aggrieved generally have a bone to pick, and respond out of proportion.

I always thought surveys/polls should be done in an App that identifies the device/OS version. To vote in an iPhone 8 poll you’d have to actually be using an iPhone 8.

You'd get less votes, but they’d be from real users.

Perhaps those online poll providers should code for this and allow people creating polls to limit responses to certain criteria.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 48
    macxpress said:
    BatteryGate!!!!

Uhhh... No "WhateverGate" is needed with MUCH LESS than 1 in 1,000,000 occurrences (only 2 out of the tens of millions of new iPhones sold so far). But when we get to thousands of occurrences, and instead of just swollen batteries, have the defective batteries exploding and catching fire, sending people to the hospital and burning down cars and houses.... As happened with Samsung's Note 7... THEN you can go ahead and start thinking up some silly "Gate" names.

Until then, you are just making a fool of yourself.

edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 48
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,248member
    I haven't had any battery problems with my iPhone 8 Plus. In fact, I don't use it constantly like some people but it's been running without recharging for 2.5 days and it's now reading 35%. I intend on draining it fully then charging it fully. I've mainly been on WiFi so the cellular radio isn't being used but I still use it all day long, just not constantly watching videos. I've never had an iPhone that's gone this long so iOS 11 isn't causing any battery issues on my phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 48

It's Apple's new curved screen design and the phone's fanless ventilation feature.  Apple's open and transparent design again being misrepresented by the media.
    NOW can we bring back the thumbs down? It's posts like this that I'd love to give a down vote.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 48
    Sick to death of these non-issue stories being repeated by rumor mills only to land up in the NY Times and the like. Though it might take some real convincing for a lot of bewildered Americans, we do not live in a reality show where EVERY-NOTHING IS A BIG FREAKING DEAL!
    watto_cobracalirotateleftbyte
  • Reply 20 of 48

Mmmm. No, you’re trying too hard. 
    watto_cobra