Apple reportedly 'looking into' pair of iPhone 8 Plus with split screen from swollen batte...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    wood1208 said:
    Possibly, fake news to create distraction. Competitors sponsored incident. One can inject moisture to effect battery to get swollen or one in a million battery inside iPhone came from the battery manufacturer already damaged.iPhone 8/Plus has similar manufacturing process.
    Or it's possible something in the iPhone borked the battery. A bad chip, a rogue SMD, who knows. It's good that Apple is looking into it.

I never did hear of an outcome of the iPhone that caught on fire and was a video hit for awhile. While it's possible that it was the real deal, it seemed staged to me. Never heard anymore after that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 48
    I had this happen on my 6. Three days out of my hands and it was back like brand new. Apple’s great about fixing these one-off problems.
    watto_cobrabb-15
  • Reply 23 of 48
    jurassic said:
    macxpress said:
    BatteryGate!!!!

Uhhh... No "WhateverGate" is needed with MUCH LESS than 1 in 1,000,000 occurrences (only 2 out of the tens of millions of new iPhones sold so far). But when we get to thousands of occurrences, and instead of just swollen batteries, have the defective batteries exploding and catching fire, sending people to the hospital and burning down cars and houses.... As happened with Samsung's Note 7... THEN you can go ahead and start thinking up some silly "Gate" names.

Until then, you are just making a fool of yourself.

You must be new here too....
    cali
  • Reply 24 of 48
    9to5Mac’s article generated over 100 comments. I’m sure more will report on it as it’s goid click bait.
    lkrupp
  • Reply 25 of 48
    My only apple device which has this (after a few years) was my iPod G5. It was simply replaced by a new one at the Genius Bar. They told me that the swelling was to prevent it form building up internal pressure.
    bb-15
  • Reply 26 of 48
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,664member
    Note to customers:

Don't leave iPhone right next to grill when cooking bacon an eggs.

The end.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 48
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,664member
    But actually, that's what my Apple Watch looks like after leaving it on the charger over the weekend.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    About batteries: I see a much quicker draining of my battery since I installed iOS 11. And I read on the internet about a survey saying the same is happening everywhere. Though nothing on AI. Wouldn’t that be a true battery gate?
    My iPhone 6 Plus drains the battery noticeably faster after iOS 11. It was immediate and a surprise after installation. At the suggestion of another reader, I looked just now and do notice that Push was turned on for iCloud (not my other email boxes) in Accounts & Passwords. Unfortunately I don’t remember if that was enabled before the update and I don’t know if Push being enabled there could affect battery life. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 29 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    9to5Mac’s article generated over 100 comments. I’m sure more will report on it as it’s goid click bait.
    The tech media is in a wild frenzy to nail Apple with something, anything, after the Note 7 debacle. All the usual suspects’ (9to5Mac and MacRumors) comment sections are ablaze with recriminations and trolls running wild. All it will take is a third report and the Internet will explode. Hell, it’s already exploding over battery-gate. Two devices out of how many and Apple should be tarred, feathered, and run out of town on a rail. Talk about a lynch mob.

Oh, and every neckbeard on the planet is working furiously in their parent’s basement trying to rig an iPhone 8 and recreate this issue as if their lives depend on it. And when Face ID hits the ground, Katie Bar the Door!
    edited September 2017 Rayz2016StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 48
    jurassic said:
    macxpress said:
    BatteryGate!!!!

Uhhh... No "WhateverGate" is needed with MUCH LESS than 1 in 1,000,000 occurrences (only 2 out of the tens of millions of new iPhones sold so far). But when we get to thousands of occurrences, and instead of just swollen batteries, have the defective batteries exploding and catching fire, sending people to the hospital and burning down cars and houses.... As happened with Samsung's Note 7... THEN you can go ahead and start thinking up some silly "Gate" names.

Until then, you are just making a fool of yourself.

For Microsoft, the "gate" threshold is 1 "red ring of death" failure for every 4 Xbox 360s sold.

For Apple, the "gate" threshold is officially whatever YouTube channels and tech websites need to generate click traffic.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 48
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    About batteries: I see a much quicker draining of my battery since I installed iOS 11. And I read on the internet about a survey saying the same is happening everywhere. Though nothing on AI. Wouldn’t that be a true battery gate?

its not being reported because every iOS version has folks screaming about shitty battery life when it first launches and it almost always turns out to be a bad update install (fixed when one restores the software) and an app that wasn't properly updated to support the new iOS. like last year when Facebook botched their iOS 10 version and it was running battery non stop with continuous background app refresh, even when users turned it off for the app (cause the update was ignoring the setting)
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 48

jurassic said:
    macxpress said:
    BatteryGate!!!!

Uhhh... No "WhateverGate" is needed with MUCH LESS than 1 in 1,000,000 occurrences (only 2 out of the tens of millions of new iPhones sold so far). 

it might be even less than that. i've seen other reports that note that both of the folks reporting these 'swollen batteries' are Asian. Asian (mainly chinese) resellers swiping parts out of iPhones and even iPads to resell is not uncommon. so much so that Apple had to reconfigure how they provide service on iPhones and the newest iPads that come in not turning on since a major reason for the no power is missing logic boards or non Apple batteries. non resellers have been unfortunately caught in the same system since Apple can't be selective in how they apply the new rules or it would look racist (even though its not their fault that the folks pulling the stunts are 99% Asian. so its possible that these phones were opened by someone trying to see what they might be able to swipe but they couldn't put the phones back together properly because they don't have the right glues etc. and they know that 'swollen batteries' is something that Apple won't dispute or mess with so it should be an easy way to get a replacement device
    apple jockeymmatzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 48
    kamiltonkamilton Posts: 282member
    Is that a swelling iPhone battery in your pocket?
    or are you just happy to see me?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    No doubt there will be swollen batteries in this product cycle, like there was in previous cycles. 

The question is not whether or not it will happen, but what the company does when it does. 

What made the Note7 problem a disaster is how Samsung chose to respond to it. 
  • Reply 35 of 48
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    I had this happen on my 6. Three days out of my hands and it was back like brand new. Apple’s great about fixing these one-off problems.
    Had the same happen with the GF,s Apple Watch.  She sent me a photo from work showing the screen coming apart from the front of the watch. Took it to the Apple store the tech let me know it was the battery bulging and pushing the screen away, and not an adhesive problem which I thought it could be as it was a heat wave in my area at the time. They replaced it with no questions asked except for me to sign the work order. 
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 36 of 48
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    jcs2305 said:
    Had the same happen with the GF,s Apple Watch.  She sent me a photo from work showing the screen coming apart from the front of the watch. Took it to the Apple store the tech let me know it was the battery bulging and pushing the screen away, and not an adhesive problem which I thought it could be as it was a heat wave in my area at the time. They replaced it with no questions asked except for me to sign the work order. 
    Using the phone in a heat wave likely pushed a dodgy battery into bad battery; heat is very bad for batteries.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    and how old was this iPhone 6 when it happened. 1 day, 2 days, a week, a month, a year old. 3 years old? That detail is actually very important because extremely aged batteries are designed swell as a safety feature. 
    watto_cobratallest skil
  • Reply 38 of 48
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    lkrupp said:
    The tech media is in a wild frenzy to nail Apple with something, anything, after the Note 7 debacle. 
    I submit that much of tech media has been in a wild frenzy to nail Apple for anything, long before the Note 7 debacle. It seems they hold Apple to a higher standard when it comes to negativity, than when Apple does well.

Sure, Apple needs to be held accountable when they screw up, but no other tech company is held to that standard. It took something as dangerous as the Note 7 Debacle to make that segment of tech media blink an eye. The unit-Apple hater-speak is always the same:

1) 'Android/Samsung did that years ago'
    2) 'Apple ripped Android/Samsung off'
    3) 'Apple didn't invent ____________ !' (even though Apple never claimed they did)
    4) 'Apple never innovates they just copy!' (a lot of people have an incorrect, extremely narrow definition)
    5) 'Steve would never have allowed that!'
    6) 'TIm Cook should be fired!'

The last two are most often heard from Apple supporters, but it's funny when haters play that card, too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 48
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Note to customers:

Don't leave iPhone right next to grill when cooking bacon an eggs.

The end.
    Unless it's a Note 7 - then you use the phone to cook the bacon and eggs!

Hard to tell what the story is here - could be a bad battery from [battery manufacturer,] could be a bad chip, could be a bad charger, could be a pad iPhone design and we're seeing the beginning of a big battery scandal that will lead to a recall of all iPhone 8's. The problem with things like this is you rarely hear what the resolution was and what apple found with their investigation.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    macgui said:
    lkrupp said:
    The tech media is in a wild frenzy to nail Apple with something, anything, after the Note 7 debacle. 
    I submit that much of tech media has been in a wild frenzy to nail Apple for anything, long before the Note 7 debacle. It seems they hold Apple to a higher standard when it comes to negativity, than when Apple does well.

Sure, Apple needs to be held accountable when they screw up, but no other tech company is held to that standard. It took something as dangerous as the Note 7 Debacle to make that segment of tech media blink an eye. The unit-Apple hater-speak is always the same:

1) 'Android/Samsung did that years ago'
    2) 'Apple ripped Android/Samsung off'
    3) 'Apple didn't invent ____________ !' (even though Apple never claimed they did)
    4) 'Apple never innovates they just copy!' (a lot of people have an incorrect, extremely narrow definition)
    5) 'Steve would never have allowed that!'
    6) 'TIm Cook should be fired!'

The last two are most often heard from Apple supporters, but it's funny when haters play that card, too.
    Generally, as a public traded company, planetary and US corporate citizen, employer and retailer Apple consistently outperforms similar companies in corporate excellence. Whether that are recognized for that excellence is a different question.

They are as individuals and institutionally driven to create and conform to standards above accepted expectations which  by default will usually create a more refined and stable product and ecosystem. 

Bottom line, they do their best in design, have high quality assurance and can stand the unreasonable criticisms, because they set internal standards which their peers can’t meet nor have a desire to. In that assumption, we and Apple can rest easy.

I tend to to agree that ‘locals’ were attempting to cannibalize the innards. 
    edited October 2017