macOS High Sierra drivers for Nvidia PCI-E video cards now available for Mac Pro, eGPU

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Now that I've read this- there may be a step you missed. The firmware update needs a flashed, or official, video card to work.
    Official meaning “something that came straight from Apple”? I had my off the shelf PC card installed when I did the firmware update (but would’ve failed anyway due to SIP), but my display was connected to my OEM GT 120. Should I have taken the PC card out of the tower entirely?
    Yeah- and replaced with something that came from Apple or a firmware-flashed one with equivalent ROM. A reference design card prevents the Mac Pro firmware flash.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 42 of 46
    Cool; I’ll keep trying to get 10.10 working. If I can, I’ll pop all extraneous parts out of my tower before attempting the flash again. Thanks for the continued help.

EDIT: Fun fact, whatever function call is made when OS X writes data to or from a disk is not inherently protected against computer sleep. As such, disks–such as terminal-created OS X USB install disks–can be corrupted by that pause during sleep. Short version: restore to 10.10 and upgrade to MacPro5,1 firmware has now worked! Once I get to the end of the journey, I’ll lay out a new instruction list (like my post above) for people who want to do this and avoid all the problems I’ve had.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 43 of 46
    GOT IT! Okay, here's a proper explanation post. Some SEO references for anyone who had to dig through a dozen websites like me:

MacPro4,1
    MacPro5,1
    Black screen on sleep; hard restart
    nVidia GTX 980 970 960, pci10de,fbb
    Mac Pro firmware update utility

Instructions for fixing sleep issues on unsupported High Sierra Macs with aftermarket nVidia cards:

Disable SIP on your Mac Pro
    Download the Mac Pro firmware update utility
    Download Mac Pro EFI update 1.5
    Mount the Mac Pro EFI update 1.5
    Run the Mac Pro firmware update utility
    Do what it says
    You should see a change in System Information from this to this
    Enable SIP on your Mac Pro

And boom, there you go. Sleep should work perfectly again. For those who fell into my hole (attempting the firmware hack before disabling SIP), here are your instructions:

BACK EVERYTHING UP
    Clean install 10.10 or earlier (if you can install it to an external hard drive, that should also work)
    Boot into 10.10
    Mount the Mac Pro EFI update 1.5
    Run the Mac Pro firmware update utility
    Do what it says
    You should see a change in System Information from this to this
    Either upgrade install, clean install, and/or wipe the drive and restore from Time Machine your High Sierra installation and all your other files to get back to where you were

Lesson learned.  :p
  • Reply 44 of 46
    I own a MacBook Pro 15" mid 2015 with and R9M 370X, I use an akitio node with thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter and it works perfectly in windows bootcamp (I use the hack to let it power my internal screen). Downloaded this driver and geforce 980 TI isn't recognised in the system :(.... It's a Palit Geforce GTX 980 Ti Jetstream 6GB GDDR5 (NE5X98T015JB-2000J) Too bad... Any ideas?
  • Reply 45 of 46
    I own a MacBook Pro 15" mid 2015 with and R9M 370X, I use an akitio node with thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter and it works perfectly in windows bootcamp (I use the hack to let it power my internal screen). Downloaded this driver and geforce 980 TI isn't recognised in the system :(.... It's a Palit Geforce GTX 980 Ti Jetstream 6GB GDDR5 (NE5X98T015JB-2000J) Too bad... Any ideas? The installer also gives me the following error: The Installer has encountered an issue with your system and the NVIDIA Web Driver may not install properly. Click Continue to proceed or click Cancel to abort the installation process.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Aartsbok said:
    I own a MacBook Pro 15" mid 2015 with and R9M 370X, I use an akitio node with thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter and it works perfectly in windows bootcamp (I use the hack to let it power my internal screen). Downloaded this driver and geforce 980 TI isn't recognised in the system :(.... It's a Palit Geforce GTX 980 Ti Jetstream 6GB GDDR5 (NE5X98T015JB-2000J) Too bad... Any ideas? The installer also gives me the following error: The Installer has encountered an issue with your system and the NVIDIA Web Driver may not install properly. Click Continue to proceed or click Cancel to abort the installation process.
    Could be a new incompatibility with the TB2 to TB3 adapter. At this second I don't have any hardware to test it out with, but my older testing machine should be back in my hands at the end of the week.

The installer error is strange too. Haven't seen that one.