Samsung manufacturing arms poised to make $4 billion more from iPhone X than Galaxy S8

Posted:
in iPhone
If estimates and supplier predictions are correct, Samsung is poised to reap $14.3 billion in parts delivery alone from just the iPhone X through 2019, with the Galaxy S8 gathering only $10.1 billion.

According to a report in The Wall Street Journal, citing data by Counterpart Research, Samsung is expected to be the supplier of $110 in parts per iPhone X, including the display, chips, batteries, and capacitors from Samsung itself and an assortment of Samsung affiliates. The Galaxy S8 has $202 in Samsung-supplied parts.

Through the summer of 2019, Counterpoint expects 130 million iPhone X sold, with 50 million Galaxy S8.

The study assumes that the largest share of a flagship's sales comes in the first two years of availability. It also appears that the study manufacturers gave the Galaxy S8 a head start, and longer period of sales -- the iPhone X won't ship until November, and the Galaxy S8 has been available since April.

Also not included in the report is income that Samsung or Apple will earn as a result of the sales of the devices -- it only encompasses earnings from manufacturing. Also not included are other devices from 2017 like the Galaxy Note 8, or the iPhone 8.

Apple is seeking to cut back on its dependence on any one manufacturer. Apple's partnership with Bain Capital and others to buy Toshiba's memory division appears to be one such move, as is the encouragement of other companies like LG to delve into OLED manufacturing.

The Galaxy S8 retails for $749, but often has a notably lower street price. Apple's iPhone X starts at $979. Not included in the study is the Galaxy Note 8, which retails for $949.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    vukasikavukasika Posts: 102member
    That’s actually kinda funny 😄 
  • Reply 2 of 35
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    How Samsung manages to sell 50 million knockoff devices is amazing. *applause*

Since it can’t outsell real iPhones, android morons will group all 1,000+ companies into one Vs. Apple. 
    watto_cobrastarwarsflashfan207
  • Reply 3 of 35
    sog35 said:
    No wonder I have not seen any Samsung ad bashing Apple lately.......

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

Same with Google.  Dropping Bing for Google for Siri search.

Timmy is finally playing chess instead of checkers.
    Samsung is making way too much off Apple. I hope Apple can develop and manufacture it’s own Samsung supplies components.

samsung made the batteries eh? No wonder.....
    kseclostkiwiwatto_cobrastarwars
  • Reply 4 of 35
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    sog35 said:

How the fuck is "Timmy" (love how you love to use that nickname in a condescending fashion, as if he's beneath you in some way) "finally" playing chess instead of checkers, when Apple has been using Samsung components in its phones since the very first iPhone, and Samsung has always made billions doing so? What exactly has changed in Apple's strategy so that it is akin to "checkers vs chess"? What are you even talking about? How come your posts never make a lick of sense? Why do you contradict yourself every 10 seconds?
    king editor the gratelkruppjbdragonradarthekatsingularitywilliamlondontmayGG1brucemcStrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 35
    sog35 said:

So trying to compete with another company by creating advertisements that contrast the advantages of your own products to the disadvantages of theirs only counts as "bashing" when other companies do it to Apple, and not when Apple does it to IBM, Microsoft, Samsung, Google and everybody else?

We should equally note that Apple and Tim Cook haven't really gone after Google or Samsung the way that they did during the "nuclear war" era either. No Android-related lawsuits in years and no FUD-based attempts to scare Android users into the Apple camp by hyping up security issues that never resulted in negative end user impact, or playing up privacy fears (when the same privacy issues exist for anyone who uses the third party apps on Apple hardware).

All parties are now competing with each other where appropriate and making money off each other where appropriate. Which is the way that it always should have been, as it avoid monopolies, is good for innovation and good for the end user.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,959member
    For a second there your headline had me thinking Samsung had gotten into the weapons business in a desperate attempt to counter Apple’s profits. 
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 7 of 35
    cali said:
    sog35 said:

Samsung is making way too much off Apple. I hope Apple can develop and manufacture it’s own Samsung supplies components.

samsung made the batteries eh? No wonder.....
    I have stated this in the past. It would take well over a decade for Apple to gain the expertise and infrastructure required to become so much as mediocre and making components, let alone great like Samsung is. And in the process, Apple would lose more money gaining that expertise and infrastructure than they would save by making their own components. Put it another way: Google spent nearly $20 billion combined on the likes of Nest, Motorola and HTC's smartphone division. Take that and multiply that by like 10 or 20 if you are talking about becoming a manufacturer of semiconductors and OLED screens. Oh yeah, all that investment is profitable for Samsung because they don't just use their own components in their own products. They sell them to everyone. But is Apple going to sell their A12 (for example) chips, their AI Bionic chips, their GPUs etc. to the competition? If so, why? And why would the competition buy it since they don't have the software to run on it? So yeah ... LG and Huawei are going to buy Ax chips to try to run Android, Ubuntu or Windows 10 on it? Good luck with that.

If you are so desperate for Apple to use inferior components from suppliers who can't match Samsung's manufacturing scale then there are plenty that fit the bill. No need for Apple to waste hundreds of billions trying to become one of them.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    If this article is accurate (but I think there are too many assumptions being made) it puts Samsung in a strange position. If they compete too strongly with Apple they will actually lose money. If they don’’t compete strongly enough they could actually make more money. Some people still cling to the conspiracy theory that Bill Gates kept Apple alive just enough to keep the government off his case for anti-trust action. Samsung would appear to be in a similar position in that Apple is both their biggest competitor and biggest customer at the same time.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:

How the fuck is "Timmy" (love how you love to use that nickname in a condescending fashion, as if he's beneath you in some way) "finally" playing chess instead of checkers, when Apple has been using Samsung components in its phones since the very first iPhone, and Samsung has always made billions doing so? What exactly has changed in Apple's strategy so that it is akin to "checkers vs chess"? What are you even talking about? How come your posts never make a lick of sense? Why do you contradict yourself every 10 seconds?
    I wish I could use exponents when liking your comment. Like 10 to the 10th power.
    radarthekatbrucemcStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 35
    cali said:

Since it can’t outsell real iPhones, android morons will group all 1,000+ companies into one Vs. Apple. 
    Excuse me, but every iPhone since the iPhone 5 has been a knockoff of the Samsung Galaxy. Apple doesn't even use single core SOCs, LCD screens or a physical home button anymore. The design language from the original iPhone is long gone, making the original trade dress lawsuit against Samsung even more hilarious. Apple may sell more devices, but they have long stopped leading and are now fully following when it comes to both Samsung's design and Google's software features in iOS, not to mention revising Apple TV and coming out with the HomePod to compete with hardware and services offered by Amazon, Google and yes - with Bixby - Samsung.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:

He may have been talking about Apple going in house, which will be a blow to Samscum.

sog35 said:

So trying to compete with another company by creating advertisements that contrast the advantages of your own products to the disadvantages of theirs only counts as "bashing" when other companies do it to Apple, and not when Apple does it to IBM, Microsoft, Samsung, Google and everybody else?

We should equally note that Apple and Tim Cook haven't really gone after Google or Samsung the way that they did during the "nuclear war" era either. No Android-related lawsuits in years and no FUD-based attempts to scare Android users into the Apple camp by hyping up security issues that never resulted in negative end user impact, or playing up privacy fears (when the same privacy issues exist for anyone who uses the third party apps on Apple hardware).

All parties are now competing with each other where appropriate and making money off each other where appropriate. Which is the way that it always should have been, as it avoid monopolies, is good for innovation and good for the end user.

Bullshit. Apple creates original products you never see ads comparing iPhone to knockoffs or whole ads based on Samsung lines(just realized there are no Samsung lines).

the closest bashing I’ve seen are the ads that explain Apple’s strengths like security. 
    StrangeDaysmacky the mackywatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Wow, Samsung is only going to make a mere $10 billion dollars on the Galaxy S8. What a pity. They are utterly wasting their time and money and need to give it up. Right? Hilarious.

Anyway, you have to recognize that it was Samsung's using those components in their Galaxy line that attracted Apple's business in the first place. No Galaxy Round, Note 4 Edge, Galaxy S6 Edge, Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S8 and no giant OLED screens in the iPhone 8 and iPhone X. Instead, Apple is still using 4 inch LCD screens on iPhones with huge bezels that have single core CPUs with no real multi-tasking capabilities ... the iPhone 8 is basically the iPhone SE except that it costs $799 instead of $399. And that means that Samsung is making like $25 off every iPhone instead of $110.

So by competing with Apple - which everyone insists is so evil and horrible - Samsung makes billions off their own phones AND billions off the iPhone.

Note: this article only talks about the $202 per device that Samsung components is making off Samsung mobile. It is not talking about how much money Samsung Mobile is making on selling devices. "The Galaxy S8 retails for $749, but often has a notably lower street price." That "street price" is a lot more than $202 isn't it?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 35
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Per iPhone X, not iPhone 8.

And those est of ~$100, roughly 70% of those are going into OLED, if previous report of OLED price are accurate.

Remove that, Samsung has less then $30.

If we could just move back to Japan Display FA LCD, get NAND from Toshiba ( Which Apple has shares ), Capacitor back to Japanese Company ( Very likely next year ).

anton zuykov
  • Reply 14 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 said:
    Wow, Samsung is only going to make a mere $10 billion dollars on the Galaxy S8. What a pity. They are utterly wasting their time and money and need to give it up. Right? Hilarious.

Anyway, you have to recognize that it was Samsung's using those components in their Galaxy line that attracted Apple's business in the first place. No Galaxy Round, Note 4 Edge, Galaxy S6 Edge, Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S8 and no giant OLED screens in the iPhone 8 and iPhone X. Instead, Apple is still using 4 inch LCD screens on iPhones with huge bezels that have single core CPUs with no real multi-tasking capabilities ... the iPhone 8 is basically the iPhone SE except that it costs $799 instead of $399. And that means that Samsung is making like $25 off every iPhone instead of $110.

So by competing with Apple - which everyone insists is so evil and horrible - Samsung makes billions off their own phones AND billions off the iPhone.

Note: this article only talks about the $202 per device that Samsung components is making off Samsung mobile. It is not talking about how much money Samsung Mobile is making on selling devices. "The Galaxy S8 retails for $749, but often has a notably lower street price." That "street price" is a lot more than $202 isn't it?
    You seem to arguing with yourself youngling.

You don't have enough posts to deserve a reply from me.
    Yet you keep replying to him...
    *eyeroll*
    singularitymuthuk_vanalingammacky the macky
  • Reply 15 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:

*eyeroll*
    I'm not replying to him.

If I was replying I would reply to what he said.

I want younlings to grow up to be decent posters here.
    Our apologies oh Ye of Great Knowledge and Wisdom. We are not worthy. 
    /s
    muthuk_vanalingamsingularityGG1tmaymacky the macky
  • Reply 16 of 35
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:

*eyeroll*
    I'm not replying to him.

/s

LOL. It is this petulant behavior of @Sog35 that made him unpopular here, despite being an Apple fan (to a large extent). Hope he learns about this someday.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 17 of 35
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:

*eyeroll*
    I'm not replying to him.

/s

LOL. It is this petulant behavior of @Sog35 that made him unpopular here, despite being an Apple fan (to a large extent). Hope he learns about this someday.
    come on bro.

You must know I'm not being serious.  

Can't you tell the guy who I replyed to (not Gatorguy) is an obvious troll?

It was definitely NOT obvious that you are not being serious. If you think the guy whom you replied is an obvious troll, there are 2 options.

1. Flag the comment and let moderator decide it

2. Ignore the comment

Posting stupid comments as a reply is NOT a good choice, I think. In my view, that is what makes you unpopular here, despite being an Apple fan.

• Reply 18 of 35
    cali said:

Excuse me, but every iPhone since the iPhone 5 has been a knockoff of the Samsung Galaxy. Apple doesn't even use single core SOCs, LCD screens or a physical home button anymore. The design language from the original iPhone is long gone, making the original trade dress lawsuit against Samsung even more hilarious. Apple may sell more devices, but they have long stopped leading and are now fully following when it comes to both Samsung's design and Google's software features in iOS, not to mention revising Apple TV and coming out with the HomePod to compete with hardware and services offered by Amazon, Google and yes - with Bixby - Samsung.
    Prople this stupid shouldn’t be allowed online. How short people’s memories are. Does he not know Samsung iPhone knockoffs run Android?

funny he mentioned Siri and the Siri wannabes later. He didn’t realize what he did there did he?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 35
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:

*eyeroll*
    I'm not replying to him.

/s

come on bro.

You must know I'm not being serious.  

Can't you tell the guy who I replyed to (not Gatorguy) is an obvious troll?

It was definitely NOT obvious that you are not being serious. If you think the guy whom you replied is an obvious troll, there are 2 options.

1. Flag the comment and let moderator decide it

2. Ignore the comment

Posting stupid comments as a reply is NOT a good choice, I think. In my view, that is what makes you unpopular here, despite being an Apple fan.

unpopular? I disagree. I regularly receive PM's from people here thanking me for my viewpoints that are not sugarcoated or fanboyism. They appreciate that I tell it like it is.

I don't see how replying to a troll comment is a bad idea. 
    You do tell it like it is but you also bounce back and forth about Tim. That’s what people don’t like.

if you didn’t do that I guarantee half of the people who don’t like you would be fine with you. 
  • Reply 20 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Would love to see that Samsung profit off of sales to Apple reduced to zero.
    watto_cobra