Apple reportedly 'looking into' pair of iPhone 8 Plus with split screen from swollen batte...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    and how old was this iPhone 6 when it happened. 1 day, 2 days, a week, a month, a year old. 3 years old?
    Aha. It was… just under two years, I'm pretty sure.
    extremely aged batteries are designed swell as a safety feature. 
    This I didn't know. That's very interesting. Mine had only popped the case open on one side, and the gap was under a quarter of an inch. Nothing catastrophic like the article's image would suggest, but certainly not normal behavior.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    and how old was this iPhone 6 when it happened. 1 day, 2 days, a week, a month, a year old. 3 years old?
    Aha. It was… just under two years, I'm pretty sure.
    extremely aged batteries are designed swell as a safety feature. 
    This I didn't know. That's very interesting. Mine had only popped the case open on one side, and the gap was under a quarter of an inch. Nothing catastrophic like the article's image would suggest, but certainly not normal behavior.
    Sure enough. The electrolyte is flammable and if the battery enclosure is damaged it can spray out under pressure and/or ignite -- which is why the Note 7 set the fires. 
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 43 of 48
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

About batteries: I see a much quicker draining of my battery since I installed iOS 11. And I read on the internet about a survey saying the same is happening everywhere. Though nothing on AI. Wouldn’t that be a true battery gate?
    We don't run many surveys, because the aggrieved generally have a bone to pick, and respond out of proportion.

I can't reproduce any excessive battery drain on my small fleet of devices. My personal SE and 7 Plus have about the same life. 

Plus, this generally happens with every OS revision. After the initial installation, there are refinements to the OS as it goes, restoring things back to normal if one process or the other is a runaway.

But, with everything else, we are paying attention.
    I've noticed a very pronounced decrease in battery life on my 6+ as soon as I installed iOS 11.  The phone also seems to be a bit slower -- or rather response time is more erratic.  It's mostly OK, but occasionally it's a "WTH?"...

My gut was telling me it had to do with WiFi -- maybe because I started having erratic home WiFi issues as I was installing 11...  In fact, the install of both iOS11 and Watch OS4 both failed because the phone lost WiFi contact during the process and I had to reset my router...

But, I'm not sure if I'm just getting used to it or if 11.0.1 smoothed things out a bit.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 44 of 48
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    My only experience with a swollen battery was with an older MacBook with a removable battery. I started having trouble with the trackpad not working well, when a Magic Trackpad worked flawlessly. 

I replaced the battery with a knock-off that worked about 1/4 as long as the original and it too started to swell. I don't think Apple make the battery anymore, and I'm not going to try third-party again.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I'm looking at the pictures and really, a battery swelling is not going to pop a screen on like I see in the picture. I mean, someone clearly removed the 2 screws that hold down the bottom of the screen and pulled it up. It should have just been bulging out on the side of the screen. Mostly where the battery is located. The bottom is screwed down, the top is notched in, it's the sides that snap in and that is the weak spot to pop and budge out the screen when there's a battery issue like this.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    jbdragon said:
    I'm looking at the pictures and really, a battery swelling is not going to pop a screen on like I see in the picture. I mean, someone clearly removed the 2 screws that hold down the bottom of the screen and pulled it up. It should have just been bulging out on the side of the screen. Mostly where the battery is located. The bottom is screwed down, the top is notched in, it's the sides that snap in and that is the weak spot to pop and budge out the screen when there's a battery issue like this.
    The first batch of pictures from the poster showed exactly what you're talking about. 

There is more than enough force to do this with a swelling battery, though.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    jbdragon said:
    The first batch of pictures from the poster showed exactly what you're talking about. 

There is more than enough force to do this with a swelling battery, though.
    Yah, my 3gsthird party crap battery got so big it was 3 times the width of the phone and ripped the back in pieces. It was in storage when it hap’ened But the battery was not working well even before that.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    Must be the same factory that makes the Apple Watch (which has this issue).