New Apple video ad shows the effects of Portrait Lighting mode in the iPhone 8 Plus

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    hallmansm said:
    Am I the only one who thinks the effects look terrible? If they look bad in a slick commercial, I can’t imagine the real thing with my non-model friends and family, and my non-perfectly-controlled situational lighting getting any better results. 
    Yeah i’m thinking it’s you. Here’s a serious photographer who was impressed by it and has great photos:

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2017/09/22/austin-mann-iphone-8-camera
    As with every tool, doing something great with something is knowing how to use it.
    Pro Photographers are better than some layman off the street (at least in beta).
    Making it possible for that layman to do it almost as well as this photographer is what Apple's ultimate goal is.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 29
    I like my 6 plus camera a lot, its photos get compliments all the time. But I like my regular digital camera better. I’m sure the newer camera is great but it will always suffer in low light. Every cellphone camera will. 
  • Reply 23 of 29
    So tell me if I have this right.  You find it perfectly acceptable to create fictitious "secret" Apple technology as a justification for them producing an ad that is really misleading.
    I take it you also expected AirPods to allow the wearer to defy gravity in real life?
    You seem to have misunderstood my quote.  The criticism about creating fictitious Apple tech has nothing to do with the adl and everything to do with foggyhill's made up scenario.  This is a laughable theory: "It is almost certain that Apple has this kind of real time video effects in the pipeline and NOBODY has the ability to follow them if they ever go there (which I expect them to)."    Seriously, to come up with that scenario would mean a person thinks the ad was actually shot on an iPhone and the visual effects were done real time.  Two improbabilities.  If the ad was shot on iPhone it would have been advertised like every other project shot on iPhone.  Also, if the ad was shot on an iPhone it would have been done in HEVC and edited in Final Cut.  'Cept Final Cut isn't compatible with HEVC yet.  Apple's also not secretly showcasing some new tech slyly.  PL is in beta, and they're previewing their next big thing secretly... out in the open?  What in that scenario sounds like anything Apple would do?  Absolutely none of it.  If any of that sounds plausible to you then maybe you believed Lil Buck was defying gravity.
    gatorguymobius
  • Reply 24 of 29
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    appleempl said:
    I like my 6 plus camera a lot, its photos get compliments all the time. But I like my regular digital camera better. I’m sure the newer camera is great but it will always suffer in low light. Every cellphone camera will. 
    That's a fact for sure, but the problem is that camera makers are seemingly not taking computational photography seriously and that will strip out still more people from them.
    Don't think they can afford to lose more people to smart phones.
    And I own a G7X mk II so I do know they take better pictures. Still, I often don't have it on me but I have my phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 29
    hallmansm said:
    Am I the only one who thinks the effects look terrible? If they look bad in a slick commercial, I can’t imagine the real thing with my non-model friends and family, and my non-perfectly-controlled situational lighting getting any better results. 
    Yeah i’m thinking it’s you. Here’s a serious photographer who was impressed by it and has great photos:

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2017/09/22/austin-mann-iphone-8-camera
    Oh my, those photographs (follow link in Gruber's article) are beyond frickin' brilliant. 

Thanks for the post.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 29
    The Austin Mann looks better than the commercials, at least. I haven’t been impressed with portrait mode either. It is so slow, it’s only useful for very intentionally still photos. Or it’s great for a shot of someone 2 seconds out of your intended scene. 
  • Reply 27 of 29
    hallmansm said:
    The Austin Mann looks better than the commercials, at least. I haven’t been impressed with portrait mode either. It is so slow, it’s only useful for very intentionally still photos. Or it’s great for a shot of someone 2 seconds out of your intended scene. 
    Big deal. Most good portrait photography is posed.
    tmay
  • Reply 28 of 29
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    foggyhill said:
    Hmmm.  One would be forgiven for thinking Portrait Lighting is a video mode of the 8+ camera.  30 sec video. 21 sec showing PL "used" in moving video.  4 sec showing PL actual use.  Seems legit. :D
    It is almost certain that Apple has this kind of real time video effects in the pipeline and NOBODY has the ability to follow them if they ever go there (which I expect them to).
    So tell me if I have this right.  You find it perfectly acceptable to create fictitious "secret" Apple technology as a justification for them producing an ad that is really misleading.  The special effects displayed in that ad are bog standard effects that can be achieved easily in post using off the shelf editing software.  There was nothing real time about that ad.  Anyone even remotely familiar with film will tell you this.  Real time video effects in the pipeline.  tee hee.  You literally just made up something.
    Except that that is literally what the cameras on iPhone 8+ and X are actually doing. 

On-screen, you see a live, real-time processed video of what the cameras are computing. 

They're not offering it for video recording at this point, but that's probably because the GPU won't be up to the task of saving processed 4k video (or the raw data for post-processing) for another generation or two, I'd assume. 
    tmay
  • Reply 29 of 29
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Link isn't working for me.  This link is directly from Apple's Youtube homepage: https://youtu.be/REZl-ANYKKY