Video: iPhone 8 Plus versus iPhone 7 Plus speaker comparison - electronic, rock, and bassy...

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2017
With a new iPhone comes new speaker hardware -- AppleInsider takes a listen to the iPhone 8 Plus, and compares it to the 2016 iPhone 7 Plus.

For reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Nice test!  The 8 sounds "fuller" in addition to being clearer.  It's not just on the high end... the mids are also less muddied.  Overall, it now sounds like a speaker I might actually listen to....
    SoundJudgmentdoozydozenredgeminipa
  • Reply 2 of 15
    I can't imagine too many people listening to music over iPhone speakers -- at least not by choice.

I do suspect that millions a day listen to multiple streaming (mostly mid-frequency) videos over the internet -- such as those on news networks, FaceBook and YouTube.  But few of those involve music.   So, the extra volume could be a definite advantage -- especially if its being streamed across the room.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    iPhone 8 Plus Wins!
    edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    Almost every time AI posts a video-only article, I see at least one or two people ask if they could include a written summary for those that can’t watch the video (maybe they’re at work or in a public venue where watching a video would be disruptive).

I would like to take this opportunity to join that chorus. I appreciate the time all of you at AI take to produce these quality videos. However there are many circumstances under which we can’t watch them but would still like to find out more about the content. It would be nice if you included a transcript or a TL;DR-type summary for when we can’t view the videos.
    doozydozen2old4fununbeliever2watto_cobralorin schultz
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Reminds me of the Mactini

tyler82
  • Reply 6 of 15
    I have fairly high-end speakers on my Mac, though tests like this, however well intended, do depend on the listener's speakers. I'm a composer by profession. I know that the only real test for me will be "live and in person" at an Apple store or Best Buy. Nevertheless, an admirable attempt at a comparison!
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 7 of 15
    With my run-of-the mill JBL speakers on my prehistoric MacPro I was happy to have the narrator tell me which phone, in his opinion, had better speakers, because they sounded identical to me.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Do we know anything about the audio components in the system?   What DAC is used?

I think last year several people said that the iPhone 7 sounded a little muffled because of the waterproofing, but it sounds like they have improved things.

• Reply 9 of 15
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    I can't imagine too many people listening to music over iPhone speakers -- at least not by choice.

I do suspect that millions a day listen to multiple streaming (mostly mid-frequency) videos over the internet -- such as those on news networks, FaceBook and YouTube.  But few of those involve music.   So, the extra volume could be a definite advantage -- especially if its being streamed across the room.
    the only headphones I had were 3.5 mm and I couldn't find the dongle...but yeah, if you're worried about sound quality, why are you using built in speakers? 'Stereo' speakers on a smart phone are a bit of a joke, too. I listened to the video on my MacBook Air, and honestly, I couldn't tell any difference between the two.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Wauw, sound went from horrible to just plain terrible ( might be time to introduce a headphone jack...)
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Are the speakers louder/clearer when on a phone call? I find the current speakers too quiet. My father is hard of hearing and has a terrible time getting volume and clarity loud enough.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    MplsP said:

the only headphones I had were 3.5 mm and I couldn't find the dongle...but yeah, if you're worried about sound quality, why are you using built in speakers? 'Stereo' speakers on a smart phone are a bit of a joke, too. I listened to the video on my MacBook Air, and honestly, I couldn't tell any difference between the two.
    They are in fact, stereo. Just listen to a song that is recorded in stereo, and cover the top and bottom speaker separately. For example, "Bang Bang" by Nancy Sinatra. The vocals are on one channel, and guitar on the other. 
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Videos are great when they provide some kind value that can't be conveyed with text, but PLEASE make it IN ADDITION TO text, not instead of it.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    MplsP said:

They are in fact, stereo. Just listen to a song that is recorded in stereo, and cover the top and bottom speaker separately. For example, "Bang Bang" by Nancy Sinatra. The vocals are on one channel, and guitar on the other. 
    I don't think @MPlsP was saying the speakers on the phone are not stereo, but rather questioning the value of the feature. First, there's no separation benefit when the speakers are only a few inches apart. Second, on the list of things that matter when listening to teeny, tiny, crappy little speakers, whether or not they're in stereo doesn't even make the top twenty.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    I have fairly high-end speakers on my Mac, though tests like this, however well intended, do depend on the listener's speakers. I'm a composer by profession. I know that the only real test for me will be "live and in person" at an Apple store or Best Buy. Nevertheless, an admirable attempt at a comparison!
    It's like when people are watching an ad for a colour television on their tv and opine "I wish I could get colours like that on my tv'.