Apple execs reap more than $19M each in vested stock bonus

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member

6502 said:
    BittySon said:
    Those two aren't worth it.  Maybe Craig, Phil and Jeff.  
    Steve would be rolling in his grave.  Or is.
    Oh yeah? How close were you to Jobs? How long did you two know each other? Amazing. 

Meanwhile, Apple is bigger and more successful than ever. Which is what performance bonuses are tied to (and not fansite popular opinions, thankfully). 
    It's not like there weren't dozens of books written on Jobs to get a pretty good idea of his mindset.
    That's absolutely rubbish. No book written about Jobs is going to qualify you to know what he would personally think about much of anything today, years after his death -- especially that he'd feel negatively about the performance of executives that he hired. Sorry but no, that's just bullshit you're spewing.
  • Reply 22 of 36

Apparently it’s not popular to criticize Cue, so I guess I’ll get flamed for this, but how many signs do there need to be that something needs to change?

-Maps: bumbled, saved by other execs taking over (per Apple sanctioned article)
    -app store: bumbled, save by another exec taking over (common knowledge)
    -Siri: multiple year lead squandered, now only just starting to be reliable after 7 years in development, thank god; although, still, if you pause for half a second, or say one “um”,
    youre fucked and have to start over. And Siri is now being overseen by Federighi. 
    -no comprehensive content deal for tv (perhaps flip flops and a Hawaiian shirt aren’t the best way to be taken seriously)
    -Apple Music with a relatively meager rollout despite being the default media app and working with Siri. 
    -Apple Music app: Apple’s slam dunk, golden key into social/media/culture is a socially crippled app with almost no ability to share or express yourself (the cornerstone of any popular social app). All you can do is share a playlist, after 3 years of development? Unbelievable. I use and enjoy Apple Music on a daily basis despite this. Also, the New Music playlists are way too hit or miss.
    -carpool karaoke and planet of the apps? Weren’t they supposed to get big releases in April? Then pushed back to late summer. They don’t seem to be too successful. 

Apple’s hardware, core software, and retail are all in a league of their own, phenomenal. But there’s a certain area of Apple that isn’t even close to the standard set by those three areas. As an Apple fan, who is a completely immersed Apple user, it’s fristrating to see the obvious gaps. 
    Again, you're referring to angles you've only heard about as rumor or read about. Ex: the supposed hawaiian shirt scandal. You have absolutely no idea what is truth, what is exaggeration, what is accurate, etc etc. Ex: this is the first I've heard Cue was responsible for Maps, previously it was said Forstall was responsible and it was why he resigned. Etc... We simply do not, and cannot know. Only those working on this stuff know. 

Let me ask you this -- if you sucked at your job, do you think your boss would keep you around and give you insanely huge bonuses? Would his bosses? If not....why then do you think Cook and the board are doing exactly that?
  • Reply 23 of 36

asdasd said:
    macxpress said:
    Sorry...Eddy Cue isn't worth a penny to Apple. 
    I see this comment a bit on forums, but I’m curious — as a random guy on a rumors site, how do you think you know this? You don’t work for Apple at all let alone at his executive level, so how on earth would you be qualified to weigh in on his actual performance and deliverables. I imagine that’s something only Cook and the board would be in a position to evaluate. And considering how rumors and the telephone game work, no, reading some rumor stories on a fan site doesn’t count for jack. 
    BittySon said:
    Oh yeah? How close were you to Jobs? How long did you two know each other? Amazing. 

Meanwhile, Apple is bigger and more successful than ever. Which is what performance bonuses are tied to (and not fansite popular opinions, thankfully). 
    You are right. No Apple executive should ever be criticised. Even if that criticism is suportive of Apple itself except for that area. Even if the executive is in charge of a division that may be falling behind its competitors. We are here to cultishly agree that any criticism of any member of the Apple executive is an attack on the company itself. And that is unpatriotic. 

The corollory of this is if the executive leaves or is fired, no matter how previously competent or well liked, he is despised. Like that charlatan Scott Forstall. Oh, how we hate Scott. We should organise a hate hour. 
    Attack that straw man! Thwack thwack!!

I never said Apple execs shouldn't be criticized. I said anonymous guys on rumor sites have no idea what the truth is and are ill equipped to evaluate job performance from the outside. You simply don't have the data needed. 

And I said anybody who claims to know what Jobs would think, say, or feel, is full of shit. 

Who hates Forstall? I don't know any of these executives, do you?
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 24 of 36
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Why isn't Jony boy in this little club?
  • Reply 25 of 36
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    macxpress said:
    I see this comment a bit on forums, but I’m curious — as a random guy on a rumors site, how do you think you know this? You don’t work for Apple at all let alone at his executive level, so how on earth would you be qualified to weigh in on his actual performance and deliverables. I imagine that’s something only Cook and the board would be in a position to evaluate. And considering how rumors and the telephone game work, no, reading some rumor stories on a fan site doesn’t count for jack. 
    Simple question....tell me what he has done for Apple lately?
    patchythepirateasdasd
  • Reply 26 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    thrang said:
    If Apple continues to follow through on some the vision of retail Angela put forth in the keynote, her impact for Apple Store 2.0 will be as great as the original efforts of Ron Johnson.
    Johnson’s incompetence as CEO of Target tipped me off that the real genius behind Apple retail was Steve Jobs. I vividly recall the images of Jobs lecturing Johnson in the stores. Steve paid close attention to every detail.
  • Reply 27 of 36

Apparently it’s not popular to criticize Cue, so I guess I’ll get flamed for this, but how many signs do there need to be that something needs to change?

-Maps: bumbled, saved by other execs taking over (per Apple sanctioned article)
    -app store: bumbled, save by another exec taking over (common knowledge)
    -Siri: multiple year lead squandered, now only just starting to be reliable after 7 years in development, thank god; although, still, if you pause for half a second, or say one “um”,
    youre fucked and have to start over. And Siri is now being overseen by Federighi. 
    -no comprehensive content deal for tv (perhaps flip flops and a Hawaiian shirt aren’t the best way to be taken seriously)
    -Apple Music with a relatively meager rollout despite being the default media app and working with Siri. 
    -Apple Music app: Apple’s slam dunk, golden key into social/media/culture is a socially crippled app with almost no ability to share or express yourself (the cornerstone of any popular social app). All you can do is share a playlist, after 3 years of development? Unbelievable. I use and enjoy Apple Music on a daily basis despite this. Also, the New Music playlists are way too hit or miss.
    -carpool karaoke and planet of the apps? Weren’t they supposed to get big releases in April? Then pushed back to late summer. They don’t seem to be too successful. 

Apple’s hardware, core software, and retail are all in a league of their own, phenomenal. But there’s a certain area of Apple that isn’t even close to the standard set by those three areas. As an Apple fan, who is a completely immersed Apple user, it’s fristrating to see the obvious gaps. 
    Again, you're referring to angles you've only heard about as rumor or read about. Ex: the supposed hawaiian shirt scandal. You have absolutely no idea what is truth, what is exaggeration, what is accurate, etc etc. Ex: this is the first I've heard Cue was responsible for Maps, previously it was said Forstall was responsible and it was why he resigned. Etc... We simply do not, and cannot know. Only those working on this stuff know. 

Let me ask you this -- if you sucked at your job, do you think your boss would keep you around and give you insanely huge bonuses? Would his bosses? If not....why then do you think Cook and the board are doing exactly that?

Not rumors, verifiable facts. I don't know why you keep trying to use the 'rumors' defense.

Here's Eddie Cue, from a Fast Company article from 8/2016:
    "..we kind of let the team we put in charge of it [Maps] go off on their own. Now that you understand the complexity of Maps, you realize that it was a relatively small team, and we kind of isolated them in their own little world. We completely underestimated the complexity of the product. If you think of Maps, it seems like it’s not that hard. All the roads are known, come on! All the restaurants are known. There’s Yelp and Open Table; they have all the addresses. Mail gets delivered; UPS has all the addresses. The mail arrives. FedEx arrives. You know, how hard is this? That was underestimating."

My other points are verifiable facts, and obvious to even casual observers. And extremely frustrating as an Apple fan and user.

If you want to nitpick, the one thing that could be considered a rumor is the the Hawaiian shirt thing, but I don't think anybody doesn't believe that's true, especially when Cue is flipping off and screaming at celebrities court-side in his sandals.

edited October 2017 gatorguy
  • Reply 28 of 36
    thrang said:
    If Apple continues to follow through on some the vision of retail Angela put forth in the keynote, her impact for Apple Store 2.0 will be as great as the original efforts of Ron Johnson.
    Johnson’s incompetence as CEO of Target tipped me off that the real genius behind Apple retail was Steve Jobs. I vividly recall the images of Jobs lecturing Johnson in the stores. Steve paid close attention to every detail.
    Target?

I wish... it was J C Penney..
  • Reply 29 of 36
    65026502 Posts: 380member
    thrang said:
    I thought his concepts for JCPenny were very creative; no more coupons, simple pricing, roaming cashiers. It just turned out that the existing clientele couldn't handle that, especially the no more coupons part.
    patchythepirateasdasd
  • Reply 30 of 36

6502 said:
    BittySon said:

It's not like there weren't dozens of books written on Jobs to get a pretty good idea of his mindset.
    That's absolutely rubbish. No book written about Jobs is going to qualify you to know what he would personally think about much of anything today, years after his death -- especially that he'd feel negatively about the performance of executives that he hired. Sorry but no, that's just bullshit you're spewing.
    It's clear what he would be thinking today: nothing, he's dead. It is also clear what 2010 Jobs would be thinking about today. You can't discount the myriad of books written about him and the interviews of those who worked with him to draw a pretty good picture of what he would be thinking.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    6502 said:
    tmay said:
    BittySon said:
    Ahrendts is delivering one of the best retail experiences in the industry, you see it in every Apple store, and retail continues to be a huge win for Apple. 

Eddie Cue isn't my cup of tea, but so far, I'm not seeing the negatives that some others do, maybe because almost everything that Eddie does is behind the scenes.

I have no idea what Steve does in his grave, but rolling around doesn't seem like what he would waste his afterlife doing, if you believe in that sort of thing, and I don't.
    Ron Johnson is the hero of the Apple store, not Ahrendts. And who spends hours and hours in an Apple store? You go in, evaluate a few products, buy the one you want and leave. I spend maybe 20 minutes a year in an Apple store.

As for Cue, AppleTV is overpriced and under featured compared to the competition. I don't use Apple Music but from what I see, it's not any different from any other streaming music service.

Few of them deserve a $19M payday.

Apple's iPhone and Mac hardware is still the best though. Siri on the other hand is nowhere near as good as Google's implementation. And I say that with no joy.
    If you've only spent 20 mins a year in an Apple Store, then you're hardly a good judge of what makes them enjoyable. Johnson hasn't been with Apple retail for many years, he isn't running the stores or their recent global design. Further, he completely failed when he moved on to JC Penny or whatever it was, so it evidently wasn't all him.

Cue doesn't design the feature set nor the price of the ATV as far as I'm aware (but hey).

Apple Music is different than other streaming services, because it isn't (only) a streaming service. AM isn't a separate app and as such fully integrates with my personal library, creating one mass of music I can listen to at any time, with blended playlists of my tracks and AM tracks.

But I agree that executive pay is completely absurd, the ration of top executive pay to average salaried employee is 400:1 or worse and I don't believe they are actually 400x more effective. The people under the executive enable the executive, and without them the executive cannot deliver much more value than an individual. 
    Who are these people that spend hours and hours in an AppleStore? Do you spend hours hanging out at BestBuy and Walmart too? It's not a library or theater. I've been in the stores recently, they're not significantly different than Johnson's original design.

Spotify, Google and Amazon music do the same thing as Apple Music.

Angela was hired simply because Apple was getting heat for not having enough diversity in upper management so they threw a few hundred million dollars at her and she agreed to come on board. Have you ever read her interviews? She fully admits that she knows nothing about technology or even retailing, she just happened to hire people that do. Maybe she'd be better in the HR dept. This is what "diversity" and affirmative action get you.
    mobird
  • Reply 32 of 36
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    tmay said:
    BittySon said:
    Ahrendts is delivering one of the best retail experiences in the industry, you see it in every Apple store, and retail continues to be a huge win for Apple. 

Eddie Cue isn't my cup of tea, but so far, I'm not seeing the negatives that some others do, maybe because almost everything that Eddie does is behind the scenes.

I have no idea what Steve does in his grave, but rolling around doesn't seem like what he would waste his afterlife doing, if you believe in that sort of thing, and I don't.
    Ron Johnson is the hero of the Apple store, not Ahrendts. And who spends hours and hours in an Apple store? You go in, evaluate a few products, buy the one you want and leave. I spend maybe 20 minutes a year in an Apple store.

As for Cue, AppleTV is overpriced and under featured compared to the competition. I don't use Apple Music but from what I see, it's not any different from any other streaming music service.

Apple's iPhone and Mac hardware is still the best though. Siri on the other hand is nowhere near as good as Google's implementation. And I say that with no joy.
    If you've only spent 20 mins a year in an Apple Store, then you're hardly a good judge of what makes them enjoyable. Johnson hasn't been with Apple retail for many years, he isn't running the stores or their recent global design. Further, he completely failed when he moved on to JC Penny or whatever it was, so it evidently wasn't all him.

Cue doesn't design the feature set nor the price of the ATV as far as I'm aware (but hey).

Apple Music is different than other streaming services, because it isn't (only) a streaming service. AM isn't a separate app and as such fully integrates with my personal library, creating one mass of music I can listen to at any time, with blended playlists of my tracks and AM tracks.

But I agree that executive pay is completely absurd, the ration of top executive pay to average salaried employee is 400:1 or worse and I don't believe they are actually 400x more effective. The people under the executive enable the executive, and without them the executive cannot deliver much more value than an individual. 
    Who are these people that spend hours and hours in an AppleStore? Do you spend hours hanging out at BestBuy and Walmart too? It's not a library or theater. I've been in the stores recently, they're not significantly different than Johnson's original design.

Angela was hired simply because Apple was getting heat for not having enough diversity in upper management so they threw a few hundred million dollars at her and she agreed to come on board. Have you ever read her interviews? She fully admits that she knows nothing about technology or even retailing, she just happened to hire people that do. Maybe she'd be better in the HR dept. This is what "diversity" and affirmative action get you.
    While I feel diversity is a good goal and attribute, I agree that the hyper-focus on diversity is absurd (and in fact seems paradoxically divisive and counterproductive). That said, I have no idea how you can think along those lines about Ahrendts. She is perfect in her role at Apple and worth every penny. The things you criticize her for are, in actuality, signs of humility and good leadership. She can afford to defer credit to her team because her ability to create a successful retail store and brand that integrates technology and culture speaks for itself; she did a fantastic job at Burberry, and is currently doing an amazing job at Apple. The fact that the stores (Town Squares) haven't strayed far from their original design and mission is one of my favorite things about her. She took something that was already great and moved it closer to the asymptotic line of perfection. Apple Town Squares have evolved to become stunning minimalist temples that elegantly glorify the modern day reliquaries of our lives, while maintaining a consistent aesthetic and functional integrity, including incorporation of the best tenants of modern architectural design (some of the old modernist ideas were pretty absurd). Further, Ahrendts is a great example of an American, growing up in a small town, with steadfast values, and with a strong work ethic, drive, and tenacity.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 33 of 36
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

asdasd said:
    macxpress said:
    BittySon said:

You are right. No Apple executive should ever be criticised. Even if that criticism is suportive of Apple itself except for that area. Even if the executive is in charge of a division that may be falling behind its competitors. We are here to cultishly agree that any criticism of any member of the Apple executive is an attack on the company itself. And that is unpatriotic. 

The corollory of this is if the executive leaves or is fired, no matter how previously competent or well liked, he is despised. Like that charlatan Scott Forstall. Oh, how we hate Scott. We should organise a hate hour. 
    Attack that straw man! Thwack thwack!!

I never said Apple execs shouldn't be criticized. I said anonymous guys on rumor sites have no idea what the truth is and are ill equipped to evaluate job performance from the outside. You simply don't have the data needed. 

And I said anybody who claims to know what Jobs would think, say, or feel, is full of shit. 

Who hates Forstall? I don't know any of these executives, do you?

you are in fact curtailing discussion. if you dont want annoymous guys on the internet discussing things, dont go on the internet. What Cue is doing is largely visible. His department isnt the most successful department in Apple, and thats been true for a while. And, a dislike oe criticism of an executive in Apple isnt a criticism of the company as a whole. 

The secondary discussion about whether anybody is worth this much I tend not to engage in, or I would take it to the general/political  forum. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 34 of 36
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    tmay said:
    BittySon said:

While I feel diversity is a good goal and attribute, I agree that the hyper-focus on diversity is absurd (and in fact seems paradoxically divisive and counterproductive). That said, I have no idea how you can think along those lines about Ahrendts. She is perfect in her role at Apple and worth every penny. The things you criticize her for are, in actuality, signs of humility and good leadership. She can afford to defer credit to her team because her ability to create a successful retail store and brand that integrates technology and culture speaks for itself; she did a fantastic job at Burberry, and is currently doing an amazing job at Apple. The fact that the stores (Town Squares) haven't strayed far from their original design and mission is one of my favorite things about her. She took something that was already great and moved it closer to the asymptotic line of perfection. Apple Town Squares have evolved to become stunning minimalist temples that elegantly glorify the modern day reliquaries of our lives, while maintaining a consistent aesthetic and functional integrity, including incorporation of the best tenants of modern architectural design (some of the old modernist ideas were pretty absurd). Further, Ahrendts is a great example of an American, growing up in a small town, with steadfast values, and with a strong work ethic, drive, and tenacity.
    Worth every penny? Are you insane? She's made hundreds of millions of dollars in her short time at Apple and that was before she actually did anything and frankly I really don't think she has. A town square? How many hours are people spending at an Apple Store? They don't even serve coffee for godsakes!

And, at her level, I would expect her to be good and knowledgeable at what she does, not "I don't know anything but hired people that did". I have no idea what her values, ethic, drive and tenacity are. I do know Apple Store employees generally make less than $15/hr.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    tmay said:
    BittySon said:

Worth every penny? Are you insane? She's made hundreds of millions of dollars in her short time at Apple and that was before she actually did anything and frankly I really don't think she has. A town square? How many hours are people spending at an Apple Store? They don't even serve coffee for godsakes!

And, at her level, I would expect her to be good and knowledgeable at what she does, not "I don't know anything but hired people that did". I have no idea what her values, ethic, drive and tenacity are. I do know Apple Store employees generally make less than $15/hr.
    Lol. I see what you're saying, I think, but there are very good explanations for all the points you just made, except that we don't know exactly what she has done, since the Apple Stores have continued on what seems like a predetermined trajectory. That said, I can't think of any ways that the Apple retail experience could be improved over what it is today. The architecture is phenomenal, the products are displayed in a way that maximizes the joy of interacting with them, and Apple is transitioning from just a store to being part of the surrounding area and culture. Seems like it's going pretty great to me. It'd be convenient if they had coffee, lol, but that would be very disruptive to the store design and function, and best left to the surrounding area.

Again, I think she shows humility and good leadership.

Her values seem to be clear from what she has said publicly.

I think the $15/hr base salary is by design. I don't think Apple wants people staying in that position for decades.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    thrang said:
    Target?

I wish... it was J C Penney..
    Yes, of course. Got that one wrong, but his incompetence as CEO was quite evident in their falling sales and his rapid firing.