Google announces $999 Pixelbook touchscreen hybrid notebook, optional $99 pen accessory

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
With a 12-inch touchscreen, convertible form factor, optional stylus input, and integration with Google Assistant, the new Google Pixelbook hopes to compete with both Apple's MacBook and iPad Pro lineups.

Preorders for the new Pixelbook lineup start today, before the product launches on Oct. 31. The Pixelbook starts at $999, while the Pen stylus is an extra $99.

Additional models of Pixelbook with more horsepower and storage will also be available to flesh out the lineup.

At $999, the 12.3-inch Pixelbook undercuts Apple's 12-inch MacBook but comes in higher than the iPad Pro lineup, starting at $649 for the 10.5-inch model, or $799 for 12.9 inches.

The 2-in-1 Google Pixelbook can be folded to use in tablet-only mode with the keyboard on the back. The company says it has a 10-hour battery life, and quick-charge capabilities give it 2 hours of uptime with just a 15-minute charge.

It's the thinnest notebook made by Google at just 10-millimeters thick, and one kilogram in weight.

Google Pixel features built-in support for Google Assistant, making it the first notebook supporting the company's voice-driven personal assistant.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    A $1000 for a ChromeBook? Hahahahaha! No Thanks!
    razorpitmathteacherboltsfan17tallest skilanton zuykovjbdragoncornchipchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 44
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    It's about $1500 too expensive.
    propodanton zuykovcornchipsanjaybpujones1chiawatto_cobrabrucemcSpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 44
    I would buy this for 100 bucks pen included
    jbdragoncornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 44
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    sog35 said:
    A $1000 Netbook?  LOKOOLOLOLOOLOOLOLOLOLOLOOOLLLLL!!!

These dreamers at Google think they can charge Apple level pricing 
    Can app developers develop on this thing?
    cornchip
  • Reply 5 of 44
    No mention of what OS this runs?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 44
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    It’s so cute watching Google think it’s Apple. LOL
    jbdragonanton zuykovsanjaybwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 44
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Agreed, just a tad on the pricey side. FWIW I do use a old Google Chromebook Pixel (2013 model) purchased used three years ago on a daily basis and it's been dang solid and exceptionally reliable, but dropping a grand on a new one? Nope. Gotta think it's a convertible proof-of-concept device to premier the merging of Android apps with Chrome OS. I don't think Google expects to sell many of them, but fully expect some lesser priced versions from OEM's in the next couple of months. 

Still, I have zero regrets over buying the used one I have and would do so again. 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Now now, it's not like Appleinsider TOLD us what OS it runs.  Given that it has a stylus and a pointing device I doubt this is a Chromebook.  Possibly some as yet undebugged version of Android?  Windows?  CP/M?

Might have been helpful to know what the the hell Google actually released here.  All we have are press photos, dimensions, and price.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 44
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    $1000 Pixelbook? LOL. This crap is dead on arrival. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 44
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I assume this is running ChromeOS. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 44
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    I assume this is running ChromeOS. 
    Correct. It runs ChromeOS
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 44
    sog35 said:

No. But then again, app developers can't develop on a 12.9" iPad Pro either, which is what this Pixel Book is competing with.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    $1000 Pixelbook? LOL. This crap is dead on arrival. 
    $999 is the base model, however it can be priced up to $1,650 depending on configuration.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    sog35 said:

That's like saying the iPad Pro is a $1000 netbook (once you add apple's keyboard cover) but we know that's not the case.  This device is going right after the 12.9" iPad Pro.  From a feature / price perspective, it's right where it should be.  I don't care for ChromeOS but I do like the 2-in-1 form factor Google has designed here, even better than MS' Surface Book, in my opinion.  This is the type of form factor I'd like to see the iPad Pro evolve into => a 2-in-1 iOS device
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 15 of 44
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    No. But then again, app developers can't develop on a 12.9" iPad Pro either, which is what this Pixel Book is competing with.
    You certainly can. In fact ChromeOS is the best way to build Chrome apps. The IDE is called Chrome Dev Editor.

gatorguy
  • Reply 16 of 44
    volcan said:
    You certainly can. In fact ChromeOS is the best way to build Chrome apps. The IDE is called Chrome Dev Editor.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    sog35 said:

I wonder what’s preventing Apple from bringing Xcode to iPad Pro?
  • Reply 18 of 44
    cpsro said:
    It's about $1500 too expensive.
    So, you are saying you would use it, if Google had paid you 500 bucks? I see you love risky enterprises...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 44
    CrapOS...of course! I mean....ChromeOS
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 44

sog35 said:

That's like saying the iPad Pro is a $1000 netbook (once you add apple's keyboard cover) but we know that's not the case.  This device is going right after the 12.9" iPad Pro.  From a feature / price perspective, it's right where it should be.  I don't care for ChromeOS but I do like the 2-in-1 form factor Google has designed here, even better than MS' Surface Book, in my opinion.  This is the type of form factor I'd like to see the iPad Pro evolve into => a 2-in-1 iOS device
    Sorry but unless its anything other than a $200 ChromeBook with a we'll call it slightly better touchscreen then the iPad will run circles around this. ChromeOS is very limited, especially compared to iOS and macOS. 

I don't really see how you can constantly compete on price with a $200 device and then all of a sudden create a $1000 device and think you can compete in the space. I believe the perception might be that its just $800 more than what a $200 ChromeBook can do. 
    watto_cobra