Google's $649 5" Pixel 2, $849 6" Pixel 2 XL smartphones want to be your main squeeze, wit...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    badmonk said:
    No OLED
    They both have OLED displays, the larger XL at 1440p and 538ppi while the smaller Pixel 2 is 1080p and 441ppi
    edited October 2017 doozydozencecil444derekmorr
  • Reply 22 of 77
    Doesn’t the non-Plus model of iPhone have OIS now? As far as I can tell there wasn’t some major design change to accommodate it. Seems more likely than not that it was exclusive to the Plus model as an upsell. 
    Last year’s iPhone 7 gained OIS in the smaller phone. Along with water resistance. 
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 77
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    "We don't set aside better features for the larger device," said Google VP Mario Queiroz in a clear dig at Apple, earning laughter and applause from the audience at Wednesday's keynote.

So you have a mediocre phone in a small case and a lot of wasted potential in the larger case?

The people were right to laugh... At how deluded Google really is.

Or... they filled it with battery. Even so, IMO the point is just as valid a way to look at it---give the 'regular size' phone the same 'feature' ie  camera. Plus size-- Pay for bigger screen /battery.  However, 200 bucks more for the xl... eeee--gessh.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 24 of 77
    gatorguy said:
    cpsro said:
    "Free" photo storage comes with a perpetual, world-wide, royalty-free license for Goople to store and use your data for any purpose, even after you've deleted it and cancelled your account.
    *cough* FUD-worthy *cough*

What's yours remains yours.... 
    It remains yours in the sense that Google can't openly distribute it. But how long that account and all its contents live in Google infrastructure is another matter. You can neither force Google to remove your data, nor can you check if they actually removed your data.
    edited October 2017 watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 25 of 77
    gatorguy said:
    cpsro said:
    "Free" photo storage comes with a perpetual, world-wide, royalty-free license for Goople to store and use your data for any purpose, even after you've deleted it and cancelled your account.

It remains yours in the sense that Google can't openly distribute it. But how long that account and all its contents live in Google infrastructure is another matter. You can't force Google to remove your data, not can you check if they actually removed all  of your data
    Why can't you do so the same way you remove your data from Apple and confirm they did so?

I do know that Google offers ways to modify, delete, opt-out, pause or restart services that might be reliant in part on "your data".
    http://www.androidauthority.com/delete-google-history-692726/

In the meantime do you have any idea how to see what data Apple has connected to you, and how to go about modifying or deleting any of it? 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 26 of 77
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    That's great, look like google not even trying to compete with Samsung or Apple their market is a low hanging fruit which appears to be people that can't afford Apple or Samsung phones! I think its smart, who knows maybe one day they'll come up with something that is truly innovative? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 77
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    cpsro said:

It remains yours in the sense that Google can't openly distribute it. But how long that account and all its contents live in Google infrastructure is another matter. You can't force Google to remove your data, not can you check if they actually removed all  of your data
    Why can't you do so the same way you remove your data from Apple and confirm they did so?
    Apple does not have ad generated revenue, since they do not sell their customers to advertisers.
    In other words, Apple have no business model that would require that.
    Also, as you might remember, Google did not raised problems with FBI sending them request to hand out customer data. Apple did.
    edited October 2017 caligeorgie01StrangeDayschiastarwarswatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 77
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    gatorguy said:
    Google does seem to have nailed the camera stuff in the last two generations of Pixels, but otherwise too much money for too little innovation IMHO. Not a product that interests me and I'm not alone. 
    Agree. Copy, copy, copy. Depth map, motion photo, 3.5mm less headphone jack. Google does have some innovations.  But in the end it altered them to follow Apple. Android OS, Google Pay. Google does have some advantages over Microsoft and Samsung.  Being in Mountain View next to Cupertino, Google can conveniently steal talents. But one thing I dislike Google is because it is dishonest company. 
    calirandominternetpersonstarwarswatto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 29 of 77
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    gatorguy said:
    badmonk said:
    No OLED
    They both have OLED displays, the larger XL at 1440p and 538ppi while the smaller Pixel 2 is 1080p and 441ppi
    No mention though of the three aspects of OLED that Apple didn’t like and waited to overcome before launching an OLED display in the X.  I forget what those three aspects were, but Apple prominently listed them in its keynote.  Sorry, it’s 2:55am here and I need sleep, otherwise I’d go look it up. But I’m guessing Google’s phones have the non True-tone, etc, etc version of OLED.  Otherwise Google would have made note of the enhancements, as Apple did. 

It’s in tne details where Apple’s competition reveals that their innovations aren’t so innovative.  They check the boxes, but there’s rarely any there, there.
    edited October 2017 cecil444randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 77
    Did Google mention the acquit ion of HTC design engineers?  Now Google can proudly renounce that Pixel is truly designed by Google and manufactured by HTC as it copied Apple's method. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 77
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    cpsro said:

Apple does not have ad generated revenue, since they do not sell their customers to advertisers.
    In other words, Apple have no business model that would require that.
    Also, as you might remember, Google did not raised problems with FBI sending them request to hand out customer data. Apple did.
    Google was just recently threatened with criminal charges (yeah not the typical civil ones) by government agencies for continuing not to cooperate with FBI and other investigative/law enforcement demands for user data, so that part of your post is bunk. 

Second part is bunk too as Apple does use "your" data for ad purposes, minimally within the App Store. So while not up to Google levels they do collect user data and monetize it in some limited ways. Anyway, not pertinent to this article to begin with so discussion of this belongs in a different thread if you'd like to pursue it further. 
    edited October 2017 derekmorr
  • Reply 32 of 77
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Doesn’t the non-Plus model of iPhone have OIS now? As far as I can tell there wasn’t some major design change to accommodate it. Seems more likely than not that it was exclusive to the Plus model as an upsell. 
    Last year’s iPhone 7 gained OIS in the smaller phone. Along with water resistance. 
    Right. As far as we know though there was no major design change to accomodate it, 
  • Reply 33 of 77
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Pretty ironic how Google mocked Apple last year for removing the 3.5mm headphone jack and now they have done the same thing. 
    Didn’t Phil Schiller once mock wireless charging? All companies mock something until they do it.
    And Steve Jobs mocked big phones and small tablets. 
    cecil444derekmorrwilliamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamgatorguy
  • Reply 34 of 77
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    boeyc15 said:
    Does it include an FM radio?

I know this was said in jest, but I always thought it would be a nice to have feature and AM. I never heard a good argument why not--- please share if anyone has a good analysis. I do understand that it is NOT always a trivial undertaking though, but certainty not new/exotic/extreme engineering to design in if there was a desire to do so.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/unlock-the-secret-fm-tuner-in-your-android-phone/

FM: needs a good external antenna (such as wired earphones - explained in the article that you linked)

AM: needs a really really good external antenna (I doubt wired earphones will be good enough unless you listen next to an AM station's transmitter); this is based on the much lower carrier frequency resulting in a much longer wavelength (requiring a much longer antenna)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 77
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    gatorguy said:
    cpsro said:

<Puke> Yours but not yours alone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 77
    Is it only me feeling very uncomfortable?  I saw the video that Google Assistant telling the driver the message mother sent.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 77
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Pretty ironic how Google mocked Apple last year for removing the 3.5mm headphone jack and now they have done the same thing. 
    Didn’t Phil Schiller once mock wireless charging? All companies mock something until they do it.
    There wasn’t an industry wide mockery and front page news articles about wireless charging.

Apple fans have a right to roast the knockoffs.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 77
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    And Steve Jobs mocked big phones and small tablets. 
    And Steve Jobs didn’t release those products.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 77
    cpsro said:
    gatorguy said:
    cpsro said:

<Puke> Yours but not yours alone.
    Yes yours alone. Google only has the right to distribute your images with your explicit permission and for specific purposes you define. 
    nht
  • Reply 40 of 77
    gatorguy said:

Google was just recently threatened with criminal charges (yeah not the typical civil ones) by government agencies for continuing not to cooperate with FBI and other investigative/law enforcement demands for user data, so that part of your post is bunk. 

Second part is bunk too as Apple does use "your" data for ad purposes, minimally within the App Store. So while not up to Google levels they do collect user data and monetize it in some limited ways. Anyway, not pertinent to this article to begin with so discussion of this belongs in a different thread if you'd like to pursue it further. 
    You have often taken an opposing argument toward Apple fans and have tried to remain reasonable so your posts are usually fine despite the obvious delight you get in trying to correct others. However, you’ve really gone overboard trying to argue that Apple’s interest in user data is in any way remotely similar or comparable to Google’s. It is laughable to argue, and you know it. So it sounds like you’re contradicting just for the sake of contradicting.
    StrangeDaysanton zuykovwilliamlondonwatto_cobralostkiwi