Google Pixel Buds have limited iOS functionality, Google Clips records notable moments on ...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2017
As part of its Wednesday release event, Google announced the Bluetooth wireless Pixel Buds -- however, the ability to invoke the Google Assistant at a touch doesn't work at all on iPhone, and a translate function narrows compatibility further to only the Pixel phone.

Few technical details about the earbuds are available at this time. Google claims that the Pixel Buds provide up to five hours of listening time on one charge. A charging case holds "multiple charges" according to the company, providing up to 24 hours of listening time. Both metrics are identical to what Apple claims for the AirPods.

Google notes that up to one hour of listening time is provided by a 10-minute charge. The earbuds battery is 120mAh, with the charging case holding 620mAh.

Sensors on the earbuds include a microphone, an accelerometer, and a capacitive touchpad to invoke the Google Assistant on compatible devices. A nylon cord acts as a tether between the two devices, with it not clear at present if there are any electronics in the nylon connecting the two earbuds.

The earbuds weigh 14g including the tether, with the charging case weighing 43g. Apple's Airpods weigh 8g for a pair, with the charging case coming in at 38g.

The Google Pixel Buds require Android 5.0 or newer, or iOS 10 or newer. Google Assistant requires Android 6.0 or higher, Google app version 6.13 or better, Google Play services, 1.5GB of RAM, and a minimum 720p screen resolution -- cutting out a large swath of the installed base. Translate requires a Pixel phone of any make., reducing the number of phones that can take full advantage of the device even further.

Google Pixel Buds are available in "just black," "clearly white," or "kinda blue" and retail for $159. Included in the box are Google Pixel Buds, the charging case, and a USB-C to USB-A charging cable.

Google Clips

The Google Clips device was also released with the rest of the products during the 2017 Pixel event. Instead of a traditional camera with a viewfinder. the device constantly observes the surroundings, and looks for moments to record.

The camera is activated by twisting the lens, and putting it down. It records seven-second clips, and will learn faces over time -- and will ultimately recognize pets as well. A blinking white light indicates to those in visible range that the device is on.

Google said little else about the two-inch square device, beyond targeting parents and capturing moments in children's lives that may be disrupted or altered by the presence of parents.

The Google Clips camera is coming soon for $249.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    My immediate reaction to Clips was uh-oh. Reportedly it was created in partnership with Snap.

But apparently the captured video is not actually sent or broadcast anywhere unless you do the uploading yourself. 

'It doesn’t grab audio, but it does have smart recognition features on board. It also doesn’t use any kind of network connection, so it’s not broadcasting the stuff it captures anywhere. You can connect to your phone to check what you’ve got.'

TechCrunch did a more informative article about it but it seems to be a product announcement of minor importance.
    https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/04/google-clips-is-a-new-249-smart-camera-that-you-can-wear/?ncid=rss

Now Pixel Buds? Interesting concept I suppose, and certainly less likely for one to go missing. As it's being reported there's no electronics in the connecting cord, but the cord is absolutely integral. 
    "Product manager Adam Champy says that Google didn’t like the way in-ear headphones force users to handle sizing. "You're either asked to take the headphone apart, or put something in your ear that won't fit." He says that the loop fits into a "non-sensitive" part of the ear and the whole system is "stable enough to go running with."

I'll be curious to read user reactions. 

edited October 2017
  • Reply 2 of 33
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    $249 for a useless camera no one will ever buy? Google is nuts. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Maybe they'll sell at least as many as Snap sold Spectacles.  ;)
    SpamSandwichboltsfan17
  • Reply 4 of 33
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Are those their AirPods?

and that camera.... creepy. 

https://youtu.be/uB-2n6KSYWk
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 33
    cali said:
    Are those their AirPods?
    No they're not even close to AirPods except that both are wireless bluetooth earbuds. 
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Really? Translate REQUIRES a Pixel? Most high-performance Android phones have Google Assistant baked in, should've been the only requirement.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 33
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    I guess Mom has to find out why little Johnny is taking the Sears Catalog into his room and locking the door...now she will have her answers....after she puts tape over the light of course
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Really? Translate REQUIRES a Pixel? Most high-performance Android phones have Google Assistant baked in, should've been the only requirement.
    The new Lens feature requires a Pixel too. Note that the Translate feature discussed here is not simply the regular Translate available to most every Android and Chrome device. If this follows typical Google fashion the new features will eventually be rolled out in a separate app or update available to most newer smartphones
  • Reply 9 of 33
    I like the fabric loop on the Pixel Buds. I know a few people who can’t wear AirPods because they fall out, that looks like it might keep them in place.

But I dunno why they get a pass on calling them "wireless." You can see the wires, they're right there.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    sog35 said:
    NY1822 said:
    I guess Mom has to find out why little Johnny is taking the Sears Catalog into his room and locking the door...now she will have her answers....after she puts tape over the light of course
    WTF does this even mean? Sears catalog? what?
    What’s your age?
    pscooter632old4funStrangeDaysRonnnieOwatto_cobraRayz2016[Deleted User]
  • Reply 11 of 33
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I like the fabric loop on the Pixel Buds. I know a few people who can’t wear AirPods because they fall out, that looks like it might keep them in place.

But I dunno why they get a pass on calling them "wireless." You can see the wires, they're right there.
    Just buy a cheap AirPod tether on Amazon for less than $10. Done.
    pscooter632old4funwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 33
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Google Clips...

"Today, lifelogging is a niche use case.”
    "The issue is that demand is not there."

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 33
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    Wow lots of new mediocre overpriced Google stuff even Gatorguy seems unimpressed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Eric_WVGG said:

Wired would generally infer there was an active connection between the two and continuing thru to the host device.  If the description is correct it's essentially just a good piece of string with no purpose other than securing the earbuds to your ears. Otherwise it has no function.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    jkichline said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

That's great. My ears are the perfect size for AirPods too. My girlfriend's canals are larger so they fall out. My buddy's canals are smaller so they get squeezed out. I don't see how a third-party tether is going to help.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Eric_WVGG said:
    jkichline said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

That's great. My ears are the perfect size for AirPods too. My girlfriend's canals are larger so they fall out. My buddy's canals are smaller so they get squeezed out. I don't see what that tether is going to accomplish.
    The Pixel Buds aren't secured with your ear canal. That's what the "tether" accomplishes. Effectively? We don't know yet.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 17 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    gatorguy said:
    Maybe they'll sell at least as many as Snap sold Spectacles.  ;)
    I think all the tech bloggers bought them. No one in the real world knew or cared.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 33
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    I can see what Google are trying to do with those little nylon loops (hold the buds in) but I suspect it would be uncomfortable and look bad. Real bad.

with google it is hard to know if they have really intended to sell a lot of this stuff.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 33
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    At first glance, I don’t get how the cord between the two earpieces figures into the charging case.  Did they demo a prototype?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 33
    The more I've read articles about the real-time translation use cases for the Pixel Buds I beginning to think this might be one of the coolest pieces of hardware Google announced. Italian or Japanese restaurant? Check. Mexican vegetable market? Check. Foreign travel? Definitely. Construction projects? Sales? Maybe there too.