Apple releases watchOS 4.0.1 with fix for LTE/Wi-Fi connectivity bug on Apple Watch Series...

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited October 2017
A widely publicized bug that shipped with the new Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular has been addressed with a new software update, in the form of watchOS 4.0.1, which should improve the reliability of LTE cellular connections without an iPhone nearby.

Apple Watch owners can now download watchOS 4.0.1 via the official Watch app on a paired iPhone. Release notes accompanying the software say that it addresses the Wi-Fi bug that could prevent LTE connectivity when near a public hotspot.

Because LTE use is a significant drain on battery life, the Apple Watch prefers Wi-Fi networks when possible. And because of the small screen size of the Apple Watch, Wi-Fi information is shared from a connected iPhone, allowing the watch to use known Wi-Fi networks while on the go.

However, the watch failed to identify public Wi-Fi networks with portals, which cannot be accessed without accepting terms and conditions. Without a browser or full-fledged iOS operating system, watchOS is unable to connect to such networks.

But on watchOS 4.0, the Apple Watch still attempted to connect to those networks, rather than reverting to LTE, leaving users on the go without any data at all. With watchOS 4.0.1, that issue should be addressed.

Another update expected to arrive later this month, watchOS 4.1, will bring LTE music and radio streaming to the Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular. Currently, users must sync songs to their watch to listen on the go, and cannot stream from Apple Music or iCloud Music Library.

The Apple Watch Series 3 launched just a week and a half ago, giving the software update a relatively quick turnaround. AppleInsider found that the addition of LTE makes the Apple Watch Series 3 a much more mature platform.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Oh dear, looks like all the hater are going to have to find something new to whine about.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Still no fix for the ugly red dot though.....Will this be in Watch OS 4.1???
    edited October 2017 jbdragonmobirdStrangeDaysGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 3 of 24
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    macxpress said:
    Still no fix for the ugly red dot though.....Will this been Watch OS 4.1???
    They really should have just made that a sticker that could then be pulled off. You're going to know it has LTE support when you're in the watch interface anyway. What does everyone else around you need to know?
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Finally!

/s
  • Reply 5 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    jbdragon said:
    macxpress said:
    Still no fix for the ugly red dot though.....Will this been Watch OS 4.1???
    They really should have just made that a sticker that could then be pulled off. You're going to know it has LTE support when you're in the watch interface anyway. What does everyone else around you need to know?
    Well you can put a sticker over it if you like. But then you wouldn’t have anything to complain about so that’s a no go, huh?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 24
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I am still surprised that particular "bug" wasn't identified as an issue well before the announcement. Like accessing public wifi is kinda what you expect would happen don't you think? More a design oversight than a bug.
    airnerd
  • Reply 7 of 24
    SendMcjakSendMcjak Posts: 66unconfirmed, member
    Watch app on my iPhone says, "Apple Watch [must be] connected to Wi-Fi and charged at least 50%".

It's charged to 72% but won't let me install.  WiFi is available ... how the heck do I force Apple Watch Series 3 to use a particular Wi-Fi network?
  • Reply 8 of 24
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    SendMcjak said:
    Watch app on my iPhone says, "Apple Watch [must be] connected to Wi-Fi and charged at least 50%".

It's charged to 72% but won't let me install.  WiFi is available ... how the heck do I force Apple Watch Series 3 to use a particular Wi-Fi network?
    It needs to be on the charger in addition to charged over 50%. It'll just use whatever Wi-Fi network your iPhone is currently connected to.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 24
    I have this same damn issue on my iPhone on iOS 11.x, is this going to be fixed for it too?!?!
  • Reply 10 of 24
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    entropys said:
    I am still surprised that particular "bug" wasn't identified as an issue well before the announcement. Like accessing public wifi is kinda what you expect would happen don't you think? More a design oversight than a bug.
    It successfully connects to the public wifi from your iphones history but the wifi is a restictive network that requires a browser based click-through to utilize any gateway traffic so it’s useless even while connected. Its just an unusual circumstance, whether we call that a bug or not.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 24
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    I have an original Apple Watch. Receiving calls on the watch used to be fine but now with watchOS 4 the calls are completely unintelligible. Has anyone else had this issue?
  • Reply 12 of 24
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    I have this same damn issue on my iPhone on iOS 11.x, is this going to be fixed for it too?!?!
    Its not the same issue, cause you can use your screen to log on with your Iphone. Man!
    watto_cobraairnerd
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Great info.  Any idea if this fix was folded into the developer beta version of WatchOS 4.1 released 9/27/2017 or this will be included in a future developer beta version of WatchOS 4.1? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    macxpress said:
    Still no fix for the ugly red dot though.....Will this be in Watch OS 4.1???
    Here's a fix: a spot of nail polish
    edited October 2017 watto_cobraairnerd
  • Reply 15 of 24
    foggyhill said:
    Its not the same issue, cause you can use your screen to log on with your Iphone. Man!
    Uh, actually, I *wish* they would fix this on iOS.  I don't know how many times I've tried to use my phone when it had decided to log in to some random store WiFi and had it stuck on a dead connection instead of just giving up and going back to cellular.

What I want is if it decides to associate with a WiFi connection it generally does some simple test to see if it actually can USE that connection-- and if it can't it should ABANDON it so you don't lose connectivity.

If the destination WiFi would consistently pop up the login screen I'd be OK with that-- but you're depending on the destination router to SEND the login screen and many of them need to be poked repeatedly to even get them to do that-- and auto-join frequently gets stuck on the login screen and you end up with non-working WiFi and a perfectly good cell connection that doesn't even get touched.

This is so bad I NEVER use auto-join on anything but my connection at home and at work.

airnerd
  • Reply 16 of 24
    The red dot is there because there are buyers who WANT to show off that they have the latest iPhone, iWatch, and so on.  That's why on an s release (4s, 5s, etc.) they tend to release new colors to allow those that care to show off that they have the NEW iPhone.

That's why there's a new gold this year, for instance.

• Reply 17 of 24
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    foggyhill said:
    Uh, actually, I *wish* they would fix this on iOS.  I don't know how many times I've tried to use my phone when it had decided to log in to some random store WiFi and had it stuck on a dead connection instead of just giving up and going back to cellular.

What I want is if it decides to associate with a WiFi connection it generally does some simple test to see if it actually can USE that connection-- and if it can't it should ABANDON it so you don't lose connectivity.

If the destination WiFi would consistently pop up the login screen I'd be OK with that-- but you're depending on the destination router to SEND the login screen and many of them need to be poked repeatedly to even get them to do that-- and auto-join frequently gets stuck on the login screen and you end up with non-working WiFi and a perfectly good cell connection that doesn't even get touched.

This is so bad I NEVER use auto-join on anything but my connection at home and at work.

Yes, that's something I could get behind; the problem is that WIFI is not really made for this kind of thing.

The problem here is WIFI. If you're not connected to it, it's totally opaque about what's beyond it, and once you're connected to it, the upper layer (like sessions, applications ( browser or whatever)) have their own timeouts keeping the connection open even if its very slow. The phone doesn't know if it should interrupt them or not.

Handover between cell and WIFI is a mess even if you are connecting to a fast WIFI. WIFI wasn't really made for this kind of thing.

Too bad Femtocells have never really caught on except in places like subways and inside certain businesses. They're actually made to make this fallover from a normal cell tower to a WIFI backed micro cell tower seamless. That way you could in fact just hop form on network to the next without even interrupting the connection,
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 18 of 24
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    The red dot is there because there are buyers who WANT to show off that they have the latest iPhone, iWatch, and so on.  That's why on an s release (4s, 5s, etc.) they tend to release new colors to allow those that care to show off that they have the NEW iPhone.

I’d say the red dot is there for particular reason - to identify the call enabled version eg for places, where phones are not allowed - so the responsible people can tel you - sorry, no phones, switch off, remove etc
    Ayan_Kar
  • Reply 19 of 24
    riverko said:

I’d say the red dot is there for particular reason - to identify the call enabled version eg for places, where phones are not allowed - so the responsible people can tel you - sorry, no phones, switch off, remove etc
    I don’t really understand this line of thinking. Why would it be Apple’s responsibility to make it obvious this is a cellular enabled watch? I have 2 Apple Watches, the first I got on launch day in 2015. Since then I have never been into a place where I couldn’t have a cell phone. Neither has my wife, who also wears an Apple Watch.  

Whatever happened to personal responsibility? When I’m on a plane and they announce it’s time to turn off small electronic devices they don’t come around and verify everyone complied. What if I’m wearing my Watch and the cuff of my shirt is covering it? Now nobody will know I’m wearing a small phone. 

The whole idea that Apple would put the red dot there so people will know it’s an LTE capable Watch and then advise the wearer to turn it off seems far fetched.  It may be to indicate LTE, but I doubt it’s for those relatively uncommon times when using/carrying a phone is prohibited. 
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 20 of 24
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Thank Jeebus!  

Had this issue crop up again this tuesday, again at baseball.  The complex must have a public wifi, wouldn't doubt it, and I have reset my networks twice.  Glad to hear this is getting fixed.  

Yes, LTE worked everywhere else tested but that field.